Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 10:43 AM

3,270 posts, read 5,654,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Seems like the o-line is not the beast it was in Dak's first two seasons.
I think the zenith of that OL was 2014. Tyron Smith has had significant back issues since 2016. FredBeard's retirement was a gut punch but he missed the entire 2018 season already and couldn't play to his standards last year.

Talent is renewing though, maybe not so spectacularly with essentially four 1st round picks from 2011-2015 but 3 are still there:
  1. LT 77 Smith, Tyron 11/1

LG 52 Williams, Connor 18/2 66 McGovern, Connor 19/3

C 73 Looney, Joe U/Ten 63 Biadasz, Tyler 20/4 61 Redmond, Adam W/Buf 62 Henry, Marcus SF19

RG 70 Martin, Zack 14/1 67 Miller, Wyatt P/Cin 78 Wichmann, Cody SF18

RT 71 Collins, La'el CF15 69 Knight, Brandon CF19 65 Hyatt, Mitch CF19

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

The 2 Connors @ LG especially have strong talent for the new-comers. Cowboys seem to make a good OL pick yearly. This year it's Biadasz from O-Line University (Wisconsin).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 12:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,948,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Seems like the o-line is not the beast it was in Dak's first two seasons.

that is quite true, but if the cowboys open up the offense, and make it tougher for opponents to figure out what the offense is going to do, they dont need to be a major beast, they just need to be good enough to give the offense time to let plays develop. the biggest issue with the offense in recent years, in fact it was a problem with romo as QB, is that the cowboys run on first and second down most of the time, then throw on third down. and that doesnt leave much to the imagination for the defenses so they can pin their ears back to go after the dallas offense.

i have always said the cowboys need to ope up their offense ad let dak be dak. let him create plays, and call audibles, and generally throw a wrench into the defensive schemes thrown against them.

keep the defense off balance, and the offense can be successful.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that is quite true, but if the cowboys open up the offense, and make it tougher for opponents to figure out what the offense is going to do, they dont need to be a major beast, they just need to be good enough to give the offense time to let plays develop. the biggest issue with the offense in recent years, in fact it was a problem with romo as QB, is that the cowboys run on first and second down most of the time, then throw on third down. and that doesnt leave much to the imagination for the defenses so they can pin their ears back to go after the dallas offense.

i have always said the cowboys need to ope up their offense ad let dak be dak. let him create plays, and call audibles, and generally throw a wrench into the defensive schemes thrown against them.

keep the defense off balance, and the offense can be successful.
To add to this good post I think Dallas' philosophy offensively was kinda similar to the early 1990's when they just lined up and whipped teams. With an OL of 1st round talents they could do this to a degree the last 5-6 years.

So to reinforce rbohm's statement I think the offensive philosophy will be more unpredictable and harder to defense.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:13 PM

Cowboy propaganda but at least a viewpoint to consider: https://thelandryhat.com/2020/04/28/...ve-line-steal/

Old 05-01-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
To add to this good post I think Dallas' philosophy offensively was kinda similar to the early 1990's when they just lined up and whipped teams. With an OL of 1st round talents they could do this to a degree the last 5-6 years.

So to reinforce rbohm's statement I think the offensive philosophy will be more unpredictable and harder to defense.

while i do agree with you about the early 90s cowboys, in that their offensive line was indeed beastly, remember the receiver combination they had as well.

michael irvin
alvin harper
jay novacek

add in emmit smith at running back with troy aikman running the offense, and offensive coordinator norv turner, along with a potent defense, and you can see why the cowboys could beat just about everybody.

in the case of the early 90s teams, the offensive line had to be a fortress because aikman was not a mobile QB. so they needed to give him time in the pocket. same with romo. with QBs like prescott and staubach, and even danny white, you had guys that could escape more easily, and could buy time with their legs if needed.

in my opinion, the biggest problem the cowboys have had since 1993 was the OC. the OC is the one that sets the tone for the offense, and an OC that is too predictable and conservative hurts the team overall, and that places too much pressure on the defense to perform, especially late in the game. remember the team that controls the ball the longest in a game usually wins the game as the other teams defense breaks down.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:04 AM

14,336 posts, read 14,675,955 times
Seeing the Cowboys sign Dalton, Prescott isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I don't think he's getting great advice from his agent. He should have signed the contract he was offered, he isn't an elite quarterback. Interesting to see how this ends up.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:36 PM

Susan, agree to an extent but there's been a lot going on here. I think he and his agent was waiting on the new NFL CBA. then there's the COVID-19 deal. Then Dak's brother just died @ 31. So far he hasn't signed his franchise tender . I could see this playing out kinda like the Redskin deal with Kirk Cousins although Dak stands to make a heck of a lot of endorsement money as the QB for the Cowboys.

I'm not going to say Prescott is not very intelligent and kinda shocked you said as much. Elite? debatable! His numbers say he is pretty damned close. By the eye test most say second tier.

I'm waiting intently and anxious about it also to see this play out.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:16 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,964,783 times
Whew... it's been quite the last 5 months, hasn't it?

Welcome home, Andy.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Seeing the Cowboys sign Dalton, Prescott isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I don't think he's getting great advice from his agent. He should have signed the contract he was offered, he isn't an elite quarterback. Interesting to see how this ends up.

prescott isnt the problem here, his agent is. i think you are right that he is getting bad advice from his agent. we shall see what happens after the new CBA is signed.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:05 PM

7,615 posts, read 6,124,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
while i do agree with you about the early 90s cowboys, in that their offensive line was indeed beastly, remember the receiver combination they had as well.

michael irvin
alvin harper
jay novacek

I made mention of this a while back. During the Staubach era, when they won Super Bowl 12, they had Johnson, Dupree and Pearson, all elite players. The team has never been successful without a good tight end and two Top Level receivers. They might have that now

They need some depth at O Line. I would also mention that the Coaching is an unknown although I expect it to be better than last time around

The coaching was something of which I criticized here, writing plays which did not take advantage of the QB's skill set and style. That is something the casual football fan does not get, but those of us who spend as much time on here as we do certainly understand that a players skill set and style must mesh with the plays and game plan being called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football