Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

I'm happy Seattle won last week if only as payback for all the bad-mouthing they were getting in the media.

However, this week they are playing outdoors on the road against a team that a lot of Seattle fans seem to be ironically underestimating as "very beatable"?

As a Bears fan, I like our chances given the venue and weather alone. See you guys on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
I don't believe saying the Bears are "very beatable" is underestimating the Bears, the Bears ARE very beatable, and the Seahawks may do it.

...and I hate saying this as a Seahawk fan, but the football coach in me says the
Seahawks are more beatable.

Still pulling for Seattle.

It is possible to be a fan and still be realistic about the odds. But if we all went by the odds, there'd be no point in playing the game, would there? If the New Orleans game proved nothing else, it proved that anything is possible.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
However, this week they are playing outdoors
I know it's supposed to be cold and all .... but you do realize seattle plays all of it's home games outdoors .... they won last week outdoors

I could see trying to emphasize the potential weather and dealing with crowds can always be a factor ..... but it's not like seattle is a dome team or they play in a city where weather is never an issue ... so i'm not sure why you would emphasize that they would be playing outdoors

Including last weeks game they are 7-6 this season when playing outdoors ..... 0-3 playing in domes and 1-0 playing in hybrids (can't remember if the roof was open or closed in AZ)

Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I know it's supposed to be cold and all .... but you do realize seattle plays all of it's home games outdoors .... they won last week outdoors

I could see trying to emphasize the potential weather and dealing with crowds can always be a factor ..... but it's not like seattle is a dome team or they play in a city where weather is never an issue ... so i'm not sure why you would emphasize that they would be playing outdoors

Including last weeks game they are 7-6 this season when playing outdoors ..... 0-3 playing in domes and 1-0 playing in hybrids (can't remember if the roof was open or closed in AZ)
Yes, I should have been clearer but you figured it out anyway in that it will be 30 degrees colder but I think we both agree that the home field is more important than the actual weather. Should be an interesting game.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I don't believe saying the Bears are "very beatable" is underestimating the Bears, the Bears ARE very beatable, and the Seahawks may do it.
Certainly neither team has a major edge over the other and are not considered "superbowl calibre".

I just find it interesting that as much crap as Seattle got from the ESPN'ers etc. for even being in the playoffs that you guys would be a little more understanding about the Bears (highly disrespected for an 11-5 team)

The first half of the season they struggled and gutted out a lot of close wins.
The second half of the season....they went 6-2 with thier only losses a blowout to New England and a close meaningless end of season road loss to Green Bay. They beat two other playoff teams in that stretch as well.

So, I don't think they are "very beatable" and frankly they've pretty much shown that they are consistent and that if you don't show up with your A-game this team will beat you even if their offense is sputtering a bit.

So, let's call this game the "invis-bowl" since if you listen to the pundits neither squad is fit to be in the playoffs let alone fighting for a spot in the NFC championship game.

P.S. Other than vs. the Bears I will be rooting for Seattle in the playoffs. I'd die laughing if they beat NE in the Superbowl.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Quote:
I just find it interesting that as much crap as Seattle got from the ESPN'ers etc. for even being in the playoffs that you guys would be a little more understanding about the Bears (highly disrespected for an 11-5 team).
I think anyone that is knowledgeable about football is very "understanding about the Bears" and respects them very much. They have shown themselves to be a strong, consistent performer and will be very tough for the Seahawks to beat.

...and yes, I too, will die laughing if they beat the Pats...after cheering myself hoarse...

Old 01-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I think anyone that is knowledgeable about football is very "understanding about the Bears" and respects them very much. They have shown themselves to be a strong, consistent performer and will be very tough for the Seahawks to beat.

...and yes, I too, will die laughing if they beat the Pats...after cheering myself hoarse...
Whomever wins the game I want to go all the way.

I can't decide if I will root for GB or Atlanta. The GB vs. Bears would be a coin flip....not sure about Atlanta.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:01 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times
Quote:
Whomever wins the game I want to go all the way.

I can't decide if I will root for GB or Atlanta. The GB vs. Bears would be a coin flip....not sure about Atlanta.
Don't you have to root for GB as a Bears fan to set up a Bears/Packers NFC title game? Even if I like the Bears chances vs ATL better, the rivalry aspect of that game is so inticing. I know the Bears/Packers trash talk has already heated up in my office, I think fights will break out if that match up actually comes true

Old 01-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Don't you have to root for GB as a Bears fan to set up a Bears/Packers NFC title game? Even if I like the Bears chances vs ATL better, the rivalry aspect of that game is so inticing. I know the Bears/Packers trash talk has already heated up in my office, I think fights will break out if that match up actually comes true
I actually like the Bears chances vs. GB better than vs. Atlanta. GB had their hands full with the Bears in their last match up with all their playoff hopes on the line and barely won at home.

Your other point is excellent, I would like to see the match-up.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
I like how Seahawks fans are getting cocky. They went 7-9 in a weak division and only made the playoffs because they played in a weak division. They beat a Saints team only because they were overconfident and played in Seattle. If the Seahawks can beat the Bears on the road in the playoffs now that they will be taken seriously, I will give them their respect otherwise their win over the Saints was a fluke. Considering how weak the NFC West was, the Seahawks should have finished with a winning season at least if Carroll is as great as Seahawks fans think he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football