Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 04:12 PM

532 posts, read 1,568,054 times

Advertisements

I wish they'd run the ball a bit more. I know our line is known for its pass blocking but maybe they've made progress over the break. I saw decent things out of lamont jordan, and Hillis is usually able to get some yardage, didn't really catch how moreno did before he was hurt. I think buckhalter made a good play or two while he was in. We'll see, I'm assuming you don't want to give your running backs too much of a battering during the preseason since RB's absorb so much damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 05:18 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Brother and Sister Bronco fans,

Upon arriving home from work this evening, There was an NFLShop.com catalog awaiting us in the mailbox. As I flipped through its pages, on P. 38 I was mortified to see the NFL Legacy Brown and Mustard Yellow Denver Broncos Jerseys available for sale! Ugh!
My wife and I live and die with the Denver Broncos here in STL and respect all of the team's history and tradition, and even though we're not from CO (been there many wonderful times) and may not be as knowledgable as the good native folks, weren't those atrocious uniforms burned at the stake (or least just burned) after the 1960 season?
Those uniforms are repulsive. Please don't tell us that the NFL is making Denver suit up in those for an actual televised regular season game this season? I'm glad the AFL would have been 50, but please!

(Sorry if we offended anyone that likes the mustard brown and yellow jerseys).

Old 08-25-2009, 05:55 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Those uniforms actually speak volumes, from where the AFL started as a league, where the Broncos started as a team, and where we are now after 50 years. And unfortunately, those were the uniforms that the franchise started with as a team. There are other clubs which uniforms are, um, pretty average like the New York Titans (later named Jets when Sonny Werblin bought the club in 1964).

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-25-2009 at 06:23 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
How are things at Patriots West? Ol'McDonald even wears a hoody, I thought that was cute.

Seriously I hope he doesnt tank your team like Mangini did the Jets by coming in as a youngster with a Belichick attitude. Not eveyone can get away with that.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 PM

One of Lamar Hunt's first individuals he contacted after getting the idea to form a new football league was Robert Howsam, who at that time owned the Denver Bears, a minor league baseball team in the Western League. The three key people to get the franchise off the ground all came from the Canadian Football League; Frank Filchock as head coach, Frank Tripuka as quarterback, and Dean Griffing as general manager.

I cannot begin to tell you enough what the original AFL clubs had to work with as they were starting from scratch. The Broncos were cost conscious in a big way. Griffing was told to get what he can for as little as he can. He did just that. One of his first transactions was looking for player uniforms, preferably as cheap as one could be. One of the college bowls that had gone under financially a few years earlier was the Copper Bowl. They based their games out of Tucson. I've heard differing amounts of money as to what those uniforms cost. I'll put it at $500. They were yellow jerseys, brown pants, and the helmets had numbers on them. But that didn't bother the players as much as the sox. Imagine wearing long, yellow sox with one inch brown vertical stripes! They were without a doubt the most hideous looking things created by mankind.

It was bad enough that half the uniforms didn't fit the players. Kinda figured that as they had been in storage packed away somewhere in Tucson. But the sox were out of the question. When the players first put them on, it was bad enough that the opposing players, fans, and media literally laughed at them as they were wearing them, but when they played home games and their own fans laughed that was the last straw! The majority of players by the halfway point of the 1961 season flat refused to wear the vertical stripe sox anymore. They just got tired of the abuse-who could blame them?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-08-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 07:23 PM

After a 3-11 season in 1961, enter into the picture Jack Faulkner. For years he had been an assistant coach to Sid Gilman who was the head coach Of the San Diego Chargers and for several seasons before that the head coach of the NFL Los Angeles Rams in the mid 1950's. Sid Gilman's parents had quite a movie background to them, having grown up in California. It must have rubbed off on Faulkner.

Faulkner was aware that the Broncos had an image problem. They were only getting 15 to 20 thousand at the games and in fact their final game 9,303 attended their last home game of that season, losing to the Boston Patriots 28-24. The franchise needed a lot of makeover. Faulkner done it one better than that providing a little "Hollywood". At the teams intrasquad scrimmage attended by large group of fans (not sure HOW large) they BURNED the old uniforms before the scrimmage started. Faulkner hammed it up big, for what it was worth. He had some guys who dressed up as Roman centurions, chrome hats, shields and all, pranced around the field with huge firesticks! They walked around in a circle on the field while another guy was holding up
the uniforms to the crowd, and at that point started to throw the jerseys, pants, and the sox in to a big pile. The centurions threw the firesticks in the pile, all the uniforms burned up, the fans cheered wildly, and that was the end of the uniforms.

True story!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-26-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Touchdowns from what I saw. I thought he got burned for 2 TDs. Was it the safety's fault on that first one too?
I'll have to watch the game again. I saw him get "beat" on the deep touchdown pass but that was it. I might have missed the 2nd one.

Quote:
IDK. You seem to know the backstory on the Broncos really well. But what about the other 31 teams out there? They're all trying to win. The last time I saw the Broncos play a game that mattered, they got kicked to the curb on National Television in San Diego. So I guess any step has got to be a step up.
Another huge gripe of mine. The team has lacked mental toughness over the last few years. We won't be seeing that anymore.

Quote:
I just don't want to see the Broncos' Defense getting burned like toast in every ESPN highlight reel this season.
Me either. Just be warned though that unlike the Shanahan teams, this one will probably start slow as they adjust to the new schemes but they should finish strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
I wish they'd run the ball a bit more. I know our line is known for its pass blocking but maybe they've made progress over the break. I saw decent things out of lamont jordan, and Hillis is usually able to get some yardage, didn't really catch how moreno did before he was hurt. I think buckhalter made a good play or two while he was in. We'll see, I'm assuming you don't want to give your running backs too much of a battering during the preseason since RB's absorb so much damage.
Moreno looked really good before he took that injury. We'll start running the ball alot more once the season starts, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Seriously I hope he doesnt tank your team like Mangini did the Jets by coming in as a youngster with a Belichick attitude. Not eveyone can get away with that.
Eric Mangini took over a 4-12 team that Herm Edwards had left completely devoid of talent and turned them into a 10-6 team with a wild card berth. They probably go back in 2007 if they hadn't been bit by the injury bug and they had a winning record in 2008 despite the fact Brett Favre basically refused to play within the scheme with the playoffs on the line.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Tom, back when the Broncos had real fans and a real stadium, the Raider game is sort of a hard ticket. I got to see them twice.

Broncos won both times 16-13.

At Investco, I'm sure money talks. If you knew someone in the Denver area in advertising or something...

Old 08-26-2009, 06:31 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Eric Mangini took over a 4-12 team that Herm Edwards had left completely devoid of talent and turned them into a 10-6 team with a wild card berth. They probably go back in 2007 if they hadn't been bit by the injury bug and they had a winning record in 2008 despite the fact Brett Favre basically refused to play within the scheme with the playoffs on the line.
Sometimes you have to use the talents of the players you are given instead of forcing them to do what you think they should do.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:02 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Sometimes you have to use the talents of the players you are given instead of forcing them to do what you think they should do.
In theory, yes, but the coach is the one who decides the schemes that will be played. Favre, for all intents and purposes, refused to play within that scheme for no other reason then the fact he was pissed it wasn't all about him.

If I was Mangini, I would have benched him for the rest of the game the first time he did that, and the next time he would have been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football