Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 12:48 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Different people/families have different attitudes towards nudity.

There are also different types of nudism. For some it's completely non-sexual and just comfortable. Others have a fetish for being seen naked and prefer to be naked in situations where others are or are expected to be clothed (a guy I knew in high school was this way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 12:51 AM

866 posts, read 629,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I have a friend who loves to strut around naked at home..What do you think of people like that (who are comfortable being naked infront of others)?

ie- could be locker-room situations, nude beaches, etc
Such a person may have high healthy self esteem and self respect OR.........an enormous need for attention or maybe both. Generally, folks with healthy self worth don't need to "strut around" naked or dressed, so I suspect the need for attention is driving such a person. This is also true of many entertainers and performers who are terrific up on stage and a complete bore at home. The "needy" nudist may have gained a lot of attention and love as a nude child and now continues to seek attention and love through nudity and strutting as an adult who never matured or grew up.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:52 AM

866 posts, read 629,368 times
Quote:
We're both ladies, but she is very comfortable with her sexuality and nakedness
That seems like healthy self esteem, to me.
There are cultures in our world that are not ashamed of or afraid of the body or nudity and enjoy much more mental/emotional comfort and happiness than those cultures where fear and shame of the body and nudity prevails. Generally these emotionally healthy cultures are still primitive and NOT Christian or industrialized.

Last edited by jimrich; 04-01-2017 at 01:00 AM..

Old 04-02-2017, 07:41 AM

676 posts, read 528,019 times
I think people who really enjoy being naked are finding a sort of freedom. A loosening of the social tightness they may be feeling.

I love skinny dipping.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:01 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Wow, so a criteria to being labeled with healthy esteem is to walk around in the buff? Sorry I don't buy it. Go ask the president of your company how her esteem is..Tell her that being naked is now a criteria for leadership. Pick up your pink slip on the way out.

I respect the human body...Yet my personal comfort zone is not one of exhibition or voyeuristic nature's.

Keep your pants on. A gent and a lady will thank you for that gesture.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
An amusing story about nakedness... Remember the old tale about always wearing clean underwear in case you have to go to the hospital? Brother-in-law has slept in the nude for years (as I've been told!!!) Recently he had been feeling unwell, probably the flu, and passed out on the floor at night. Of course he was naked. Since he was unconscious, his significant other called the ambulance. They took him naked to the emergency room. Imagine his chagrin when he woke up in the ambulance with no clothes on! Of course, being a man, he probably didn't care, like many women would.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:25 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
It depends on how you grew up and what you are used to. My sister and I went to Sanibel Island for a beach day a few years ago and two German tourists who passed right by the ladies bathroom/dressing area proceeded to take their clothes off right there on the towel next to us and change into their bathing suits. My father would have had a stroke right there. He was the biggest prude and got embarrassed one day because my sister and I had pantyhose hung up in the bathroom. Can you imagine?
I politely disagree.

My German parents and I were extremely prude. We changed at the beach hiding behind towels, even if it took 15 minutes just to make sure nobody sees anything. I haven't seen my parents naked since I was a toddler. We do not share bathrooms. I even still feel weird watching a sex scene in a movie if my parents are present and I am 40 years old!! I don't think I ever kissed a guy in front of my parents.

I grew up with body shaming and thinking nudity is bad.

Now I love being naked. Just nowhere near my parents . I have learned to love my body despite my parents prudeness.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:12 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
I have a friend who loves to strut around naked at home..What do you think of people like that (who are comfortable being naked infront of others)?

ie- could be locker-room situations, nude beaches, etc
My unsolicited opinion of other people is none of my business.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve
Now I love being naked.
I am in my natural bathing suit now!!

Old 04-06-2017, 04:22 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I am in my natural bathing suit now!!
They don't allow that at my workplace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology