Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Am I just a huge prick or is there anyone else out there like me?
Well, as you said, you were fat for a while too.

No one expects you to approve of excess fat since it's a health issue, but the fact that you treat fat people without respect and automatically ignore anything they say ... I'd say you're an a$$ hat.

My attorney is fat, but her legal advice has always been stellar. I guess it would be impossible for you to benefit from her legal knowledge due to her weight.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
and if you see someone, you don't know if they are losing weight already or trying hard to live healthy...do you go into detail before judging them? You have to get their whole story before you can make statements..some weight gain is due to mental issues, the working poor have a terrible time in the US buying healthy foods, all issues you need to consider before saying "weak charactered people are roaming here"! ..and if being overweight is kind of like drug or alcohol addiction, compassion is needed there too then, just like with any illness. Not smugness, I suppose it is easy to look down on what yu once were but it's not good to be that way. What if you gained all the weight back? it can happen, you know! I lost 50 pounds and gained 20 back...must be my poor character and weakness... but it doesn't make me detest people that are bigger than me or as big as I once was.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
Quote:
I sense alot of weak people on here. Can't help those who can't help themselves. I really don't see a big difference between obesity and drug usage. We try to help those who do drugs but if they don't want the help, we hope they don't die before they realize they need to make changes. I've tried many times with my overweight family members. I've told them what to do diet wise and how little they need to exercise to make a huge difference around the waist. Hell, I've said you can eat like crap twice a week and you'll still see a massive difference. They gave up after a few weeks. If they don't have the willpower then I don't respect their viewpoints as much.

Only major difference I see is obesity is a slow painful death and it's so common, it's become acceptable. So because it's become acceptable, I should lower my standards? There are so many trends in society in which the acceptable later becomes absolutely appalling. This acceptability of obesity will be one of them, no doubt about it. Just like how smoking was 80 years ago.

Sombody needs to help you with YOUR problem. Inflated ego, full of self importance. Who died and made you the savior of fat people? Spare me. It is not your place to go out and safe people from themselves. Is somebody wants help, they will seek it.

Your version of "help" I'm sure will only serve to make people feel worse about themseves and exacerbate the "problem", if in fact there is a "problem".

There are numerous reasons why people end up overweight. I won't waste either of our time listing them, because I am certain you don't care. You will see them as "excuses". Whatever.

I supposed from your point of view people should all strive to be "beautiful". For what? So the pervs and superficial jerks and admire them? Yeah, that's a great way to be healthy. I think I'll pass and go get myself a piece of chocolate cake.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
How about not judging at all? Shouldn't he be responsible for himself and not looking at how others are living?

What's more, even if the overweight person is "doing nothing" visibly, how does one know? How does one know the entirety of what that person's life is like? What that person is suffering? How that person's brain is? What the capabilities of that person are? What his/her background has been? What he/she is facing? Etc. etc. And again, lastly, why do other people get obsessed by what others do or don't do, unless they get obsessed because they're trying to help them? If they're not trying to help them, stop judging. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
I can understand the poster but he has to be rather certain the fat person is not doing anything to help himself before striking him off - if at all. And I don't agree about him not listening to advice from them, he should hear that guy out first if that person is qualified and has the experiece.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
So heres my background. I was pretty fat when I was in middle school. I'm 27 now and I weigh about the same back when I was 10-13, 170 pounds or so. I tried on some shorts from back last week, 1-2 inches loose on me. Now, I HATED HATED being fat so I lost weight and got skinny enough to become a X-country runner a few years later in high school. Since then, I've always been into fitness in one form or another.

As I get older, I don't take overweight people under say 40 years old seriously. I know with age losing weight gets harder so I give older people slack. However, with people my age and younger regardless of sex...I don't respect them. In fact, I don't befriend overweight people. Now, an extra 10-20 pounds is one thing but I mean fat. Getting tired doing basic stuff like walk around a mall or climb some stairs without getting exhausted. When overweight people give me advice, I ignore it regardless of topic. My good friends can tell know this about me and they can tell the difference with my demeanor and attitude. When I'm at work, I fight this but its always in the back of my mind especially when prior managers are overweight.

And yes I know how shallow this makes me look but its more than that too me. It's a complete lack of self-respect and willingness to live a better life. I know, people have health issues but I really doubt so many people have "thyroid" conditions. In fact, I use to have a low thyroid count when I was 20 and nearly needed medicine. I just changed my diet and exercised more.

I'm able to do whatever I want without feeling embarrassed about my looks. I don't get nervous at theme parks and the awkward seating. I go to the beach and walk around shirtless with no worries...minus a minor farmers tan. I think things like that worth so much in ones life and you can change it with just a few months of dedication. I have a few friends who don't work out nearly as much as I do and they are in better shape. They got a better luck of the draw but all that means too me, I need to work a little harder than most.

Am I just a huge prick or is there anyone else out there like me?
On one hand I can understand the deal with overweight people. At the same time, I reserve judgment. I don't know why they are overweight and people have different body chemistry. I don't give them a hard time about it because I used to be fat (in a time when fat people were high on the public enemy list. I was nowhere near as fat as the people are today in a culture that even deems them acceptable). I know the shame. My dad bullied me because I was fat. It was a bad experience. But I lost that weight and I refuse to put it back on.

Yes, there are a lot of lazy and greedy pigs out there. Guess what, life is not happy with them. They'll come down with diabetes, heart problems, etc. I wouldn't really call you a prick or something of that matter. You just have your own opinion.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:40 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You don't even respect Aretha Franklin?

That's unAmerican.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Or what about the British pop singer Adele? She is:

1: Gorgeous,
2: Lovable,
3: Incredibly talented!

Well, I made the remark about Aretha Franklin because she's famous for a song called "R--"

oh, never mind...

Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Lazy? What exactly do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Yes, there are a lot of lazy and greedy pigs out there. Guess what, life is not happy with them. They'll come down with diabetes, heart problems, etc. I wouldn't really call you a prick or something of that matter. You just have your own opinion.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:55 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
You are just a huge prick.
I agree!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
how can anyone say eating is like drugs or smoking... these are things the body doesnt need to survive, and ruins other peoples lives as well as their own.. eating is to live, yes some do overdo it.. and for many reasons.. but you cant put that into the same frame as the other two. one, smoking which in a passive way makes others ill , eating a doughnut never made someone next to you ill.... and by the way Im NOT fat.. not even near it, but Ive seen people I like piling on weight for different reasons and they dont like it...

Old 07-14-2012, 11:00 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
and another thing...(before I give it a rest) society is at fault for many of the "illnesses" of today...back in the Rubens days, people who had extra weight were considered healthy, and they were obese by many of todays' standards..so whatever floats your boat is fine by me, but I hope you're happy in your own skin OP, thin or fat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology