Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So heres my background. I was pretty fat when I was in middle school. I'm 27 now and I weigh about the same back when I was 10-13, 170 pounds or so. I tried on some shorts from back last week, 1-2 inches loose on me. Now, I HATED HATED being fat so I lost weight and got skinny enough to become a X-country runner a few years later in high school. Since then, I've always been into fitness in one form or another.

As I get older, I don't take overweight people under say 40 years old seriously. I know with age losing weight gets harder so I give older people slack. However, with people my age and younger regardless of sex...I don't respect them. In fact, I don't befriend overweight people. Now, an extra 10-20 pounds is one thing but I mean fat. Getting tired doing basic stuff like walk around a mall or climb some stairs without getting exhausted. When overweight people give me advice, I ignore it regardless of topic. My good friends can tell know this about me and they can tell the difference with my demeanor and attitude. When I'm at work, I fight this but its always in the back of my mind especially when prior managers are overweight.

And yes I know how shallow this makes me look but its more than that too me. It's a complete lack of self-respect and willingness to live a better life. I know, people have health issues but I really doubt so many people have "thyroid" conditions. In fact, I use to have a low thyroid count when I was 20 and nearly needed medicine. I just changed my diet and exercised more.

I'm able to do whatever I want without feeling embarrassed about my looks. I don't get nervous at theme parks and the awkward seating. I go to the beach and walk around shirtless with no worries...minus a minor farmers tan. I think things like that worth so much in ones life and you can change it with just a few months of dedication. I have a few friends who don't work out nearly as much as I do and they are in better shape. They got a better luck of the draw but all that means too me, I need to work a little harder than most.

Am I just a huge prick or is there anyone else out there like me?

I am way over weight, ( 400+ lbs / 6'1" ) and most people like myself
do not care what you think about us.

Myself ... if you don't like my looks, or weight, turn your
head look some where else and get over it, and OH ... it is not any of your business.

Just because you are not fat does not make you
any better than anyone else.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:55 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,946 times
Quote:
So heres my background. I was pretty fat when I was in middle school. I'm 27 now and I weigh about the same back when I was 10-13, 170 pounds or so. I tried on some shorts from back last week, 1-2 inches loose on me. Now, I HATED HATED being fat so I lost weight and got skinny enough to become a X-country runner a few years later in high school. Since then, I've always been into fitness in one form or another.

As I get older, I don't take overweight people under say 40 years old seriously. I know with age losing weight gets harder so I give older people slack. However, with people my age and younger regardless of sex...I don't respect them. In fact, I don't befriend overweight people. Now, an extra 10-20 pounds is one thing but I mean fat. Getting tired doing basic stuff like walk around a mall or climb some stairs without getting exhausted. When overweight people give me advice, I ignore it regardless of topic. My good friends can tell know this about me and they can tell the difference with my demeanor and attitude. When I'm at work, I fight this but its always in the back of my mind especially when prior managers are overweight.

And yes I know how shallow this makes me look but its more than that too me. It's a complete lack of self-respect and willingness to live a better life. I know, people have health issues but I really doubt so many people have "thyroid" conditions. In fact, I use to have a low thyroid count when I was 20 and nearly needed medicine. I just changed my diet and exercised more.

I'm able to do whatever I want without feeling embarrassed about my looks. I don't get nervous at theme parks and the awkward seating. I go to the beach and walk around shirtless with no worries...minus a minor farmers tan. I think things like that worth so much in ones life and you can change it with just a few months of dedication. I have a few friends who don't work out nearly as much as I do and they are in better shape. They got a better luck of the draw but all that means too me, I need to work a little harder than most.

Not a huge prick-you wish.
Overweight people don't need your attention or approval. Get a clue.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM

458 posts, read 616,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I think a lot of people focus on what makes them feel better about themselves:

If you are in good shape, you fixate on the obese.
If you are wealthy, you fixate on what poor people did to mess up their finances.
If you are religious, you focus on the non-believers.
etc, etc, etc....
If you're obese, you fixate on how skinny people are wrong about weight, not that they're in better shape than you because they worked for it.
If you're poor, you fixate on how rich people don't deserve their wealth, not that you're incapable of their job.
If you're a non-believer, you focus on how believers are wrong, not how they might have something you don't.
Etc., etc., etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Let's see the whole picture. If a person was born with a horrible facial birthmark, or received some offensive scaring due to an accident.....would you you find them offensive" After all, if they really cared what you thought, they could have plastic surgery, couldn't they!
Being born with a problem is completely different than creating a new one for yourself. Plastic surgery is a big deal and would involve altering something fundamental about yourself.

But if they could remove it but don't they're taking ownership of it and whatever effects it has on their life. That's totally fine of course - as long as they don't then complain when people are weirded out by it at first meeting.

See where I'm going with this? When you have a choice between 1) doing something and 2) not doing something you are... making a choice. You are taking ownership of the effects that choice has. If you choose to never work out and eat poorly you are knowingly and deliberately deciding to be obese. Of course that will somewhat affect my opinion of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
By this philosophy, unless your house is so clean you can eat off the floor, you are lazy, especially if you are spending the time "playing" at a gym instead of doing things that make you a responsible human being...
No, because as you (was it you?) said, everything is relative. You don't need to be able to eat off the floor in order to have a clean, healthy house. You don't need to hit the gym for an hour every day in order to have a good body fat %, either. Just put a little bit of work into it and you'll get big results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Number two, when someone says they hate someone...
Nobody has mentioned the word hate except you. The farthest this has gone is someone (not me) saying they don't have respect for obese people. All I am saying is that I can't help losing a little bit of respect for someone when I know they could be healthy but they're not through laziness.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
Quote:

Yes and yes.

Personally, I can't respect bigots, regardless of the objects of that bigotry.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 PM

458 posts, read 616,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Just because you are not fat does not make you
any better than anyone else.
Not better, just healthier.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,913 times
I lost a bunch of weight too. But I'm sure I'm not as skinny as you.

I feel so much pity and sadness for people I see who are very overweight. I know how hard things probably are for them.

With maturity, your feelings will change. If not, I truly pity you as well.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Uh, not so fast.

I weigh under 100. The most I've ever weighed was 107. Obese people disgust me, too.

That said, a fat person who is well groomed doesn't bother me in the slightest. Most obese people just plain look smelly and dirty as they wallow up and down grocery store aisles. Or worse, wheel themselves around in motorized grocery carts. If they can't take pride in themselves, I won't waste my time respecting them.

That's the way I see it.
What are you? Three years old? Why do you even give a damn?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
You don't even respect Aretha Franklin?

That's unAmerican.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You don't even respect Aretha Franklin?

That's unAmerican.
Or what about the British pop singer Adele? She is:

1: Gorgeous,
2: Lovable,
3: Incredibly talented!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
What are you? Three years old? Why do you even give a damn?
Oh, now there's a great show of maturity.

lolol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology