Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's pretty common for people to "hate" other people for what they "hate" in themselves.
Uh, not so fast.

I weigh under 100. The most I've ever weighed was 107. Obese people disgust me, too.

That said, a fat person who is well groomed doesn't bother me in the slightest. Most obese people just plain look smelly and dirty as they wallow up and down grocery store aisles. Or worse, wheel themselves around in motorized grocery carts. If they can't take pride in themselves, I won't waste my time respecting them.

That's the way I see it.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

Am I just a huge prick or is there anyone else out there like me?
Yes on both counts. Some people are fat, some are pricks. I prefer the fat people to the pricks but feel sorry for both.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Look hard enough and you can find a reason to hate or love almost anyone. By the age of 27, most people figure out there's something wrong with everyone.

I used to be fat and I can tell you for sure that most heavy people hate on themselves more than you could ever dish out. No one wants to be fat. Or ugly. Or disabled. Or narrow minded. Bad things happen in this life. We cope.

Obesity has been officially classified by the medical profession as a disease. Just like cancer, CF, or MS. Perhaps some day there will be a cure. I can tell you for sure we don't know all there is to know about the physiology of obesity. It's a disease, not a character flaw.

'Normies' tend to oversimplify and just repeat that old beaten to death mantra that whenever calories in equal less than calories expended, you will lose weight. Sure. So explain all the people who eat terribly and stay thin effortlessly. Next explain why I will lose weight on a 1000 calorie per day diet of green beans and gain weight on a 1000 calorie per day diet of ice cream. 1000 calories is 1000 calories. British Thermal Units don't lie. Why does your diet work for you when there are other people who would gain on your diet?

I probably lost more than what you weigh. And it took me forever to figure out how to do it. I can tell you for sure thin people are different than fat people. I was always dieting and if anything, getting fatter. Once I actually got thin, some kind of metabolic miracle happened. I eat more now than I did when I was heavy.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
I gained 60 pounds over the course of chemo because I had to work full time and by the time I got home, I could barely climb to my 3rd story walkup to go sleep for 14 hours. My body still won't get rid of the excess weight a year later, regardless of what I do. Before that, I had steadily gained weight because I was sick for 4 years before diagnosis, with doctors throwing steroids at me to cure my symptoms.

Don't want to respect me? Fine. But to not respect someone who faced stage IV cancer at 23 by herself while working full time on top of dealing with insurance companies, doctor's appointments, and the side effects of chemo itself is pretty low. And you would have NO idea looking at me what I've been through - besides the fact that I have short hair. You have no idea if someone is fat because they stop at McDonalds every day after work for a snack or if they have a serious health issue.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I gained 60 pounds over the course of chemo because I had to work full time and by the time I got home, I could barely climb to my 3rd story walkup to go sleep for 14 hours. My body still won't get rid of the excess weight a year later, regardless of what I do. Before that, I had steadily gained weight because I was sick for 4 years before diagnosis, with doctors throwing steroids at me to cure my symptoms.

Don't want to respect me? Fine. But to not respect someone who faced stage IV cancer at 23 by herself while working full time on top of dealing with insurance companies, doctor's appointments, and the side effects of chemo itself is pretty low. And you would have NO idea looking at me what I've been through - besides the fact that I have short hair. You have no idea if someone is fat because they stop at McDonalds every day after work for a snack or if they have a serious health issue.
Right on. The OP disgusted me.

I am not obese but I am about 25 pounds overweight. I tore my achilles tendon a couple of years ago and it was very difficult to repair - the end result was that I wore a huge boot/cast for 8 months, had surgery, crutches, you name it - and gained weight. What an ordeal - and depressing as well. I can only imagine how difficult something like cancer could be to struggle through.

Now that I am 50 and past menopause, I've had a very hard time losing the weight. I hate it. I feel fat and uncomfortable and so much weaker, and my leg will never be the same. It's hard to have to accept physical issues that change us, and change our image of ourselves.

The judgmentalism of the OP is absolutely disgusting. The only silver lining is that at least he's probably staying away from the people he loathes so much - and I'm sure they're grateful for that.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM

568 posts, read 962,466 times
Life likes to turn the tables on people - sometimes even pricks will get to meet Karma. You are still young....give it another 30 years....

Last edited by pooterposh; 07-09-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-09-2012, 08:38 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,694 times
If you don't want to take advice, then why are you so insecure that people give it to you??? I find that the ones who complain about people giving them advice are given advice all the time because they throw off "I'm insecure, help me" vibes. Maybe you need to work on yourself so you don't seem so needy. You come across as a person who is needy, but you try to be tough and "hate" on people to make yourself feel better. Maybe you should spend more time working on your personality in conjunction with some more cardio....

Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Uh, not so fast.

I weigh under 100. The most I've ever weighed was 107. Obese people disgust me, too.

That said, a fat person who is well groomed doesn't bother me in the slightest. Most obese people just plain look smelly and dirty as they wallow up and down grocery store aisles. Or worse, wheel themselves around in motorized grocery carts. If they can't take pride in themselves, I won't waste my time respecting them.

That's the way I see it.
I tend to agree. Respecting the body you have been given and actually doing your best to keep it healthy and in shape is the least we can do. And the folks who say it's glandular...they are realistically close to 2% of all obese people.

Self control and accountability are all but lost.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
And no amount of government control on what we eat and drink will give us accountibility and self control. If anything, it will make it worse. Government control is NOT the answer.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,637 times
In general, I don't respect fat people either. I can still be friends with them, but I can't help but silently judge them. But if they are legitimately eating healthily and exercising regularly, then different story. It's also ok if their fatness was caused by health factors. But the worst are the fat peeps who complain about being fat but don't do a damn thing to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology