Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times

Advertisements

By the way, I don't think the question is whether young people are capable of being sexually attracted to each other. Young people do have such feelings. They usually wish to explore them with peers. I'm not saying that's somehow superior to an adult-on-child interaction but I am saying that the dynamics are drastically different. Anyone can see that and I believe even the defenders on this thread do see that. If not, then there really is a problem.

And adult-on-child or superior-on-inferior sexual interaction is, in fact, what these laws were put in place to help prevent. It's not a perfect system but that doesn't mean it's not needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,355,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Have you asked yourself why you so strongly feel the need to justify sexual attraction to young girls? I feel this is a legitimate question. What is your stake in all this, personally? Because that's important. It's important to the question in general and to adults' attitudes in general toward the potential sexuality of very young people.

Rather than attempting to justify (possibly?) your own feelings as appropriate, you may want to look inside and ask yourself why you want that justification and whether that's appropriate and fair toward the potential young girls in question, or whether it just fills a need you yourself, an adult who is presumably in control, have. Which is more important? That's an honest question. Not everyone will say the child is more important.
Interrupting here: Know thyself. That's my reason anyway. Also, telling teenage girls older men won't be physically attracted to them...I see no way in which that could help them.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Interrupting here: Know thyself. That's my reason anyway. Also, telling teenage girls older men won't be physically attracted to them...I see no way in which that could help them.
I never said to teach children that; all children should know that there are people in the world who will hurt them (the children) for their own gains or who will take advantage of them via promises, veiled threats, taunting ("I thought you were more mature than other girls"), etc. It's not necessary to terrify a young person but as long as there are predators, the prey do need to know.

Therefore, I never said girls should be taught older men won't be physically attracted to them. They do need to know there are such men (and sometimes, women...that happens too) out there, sometimes closer than they think. They need to be safe and they need to know whom it is appropriate to share feelings with, physical or not.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I never said to teach children that; all children should know that there are people in the world who will hurt them (the children) for their own gains or who will take advantage of them via promises, veiled threats, taunting ("I thought you were more mature than other girls"), etc. It's not necessary to terrify a young person but as long as there are predators, the prey do need to know.

Therefore, I never said girls should be taught older men won't be physically attracted to them. They do need to know there are such men (and sometimes, women...that happens too) out there. They need to be safe and they need to know whom it is appropriate to share feelings with, physical or not.
You misspelled most men.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
You misspelled most men.
I'm pleased and relieved to say that no, in fact, I didn't. Perhaps in the world of justification, it would be a misspelling. Thank God that in my world at least, where people are socially responsible and adults generally act like adults, the spelling is spot-on.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I'm pleased and relieved to say that no, in fact, I didn't. Perhaps in the world of justification, it would be a misspelling. Thank God that in my world at least, where people are socially responsible and adults generally act like adults, the spelling is spot-on.
We should not be lying about what we are. We don't need a bunch of adult men, thinking like children, that feelings can be wrong. They should know this, as should all women. I am concerned they do not.

Maybe I'm overprotective....

No disrespect intended....

Old 12-17-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
We should not be lying about what we are. We don't need a bunch of adult men, thinking like children, that feelings can be wrong. They should know this, as should all women. I am concerned they do not.

Maybe I'm overprotective....
You do not need to lie about who you are. You need to confront who you are, if you're coveting children in a sexual way. (I don't know if you are.) And yes, it is okay to let people know that certain "feelings" can be wrong. It is wrong for a 14-year-old to go to her friend's house and have her friend's 50-year-old father peering at her through a crack in the door. (That's an example, I'm not saying that's you or anyone specific to this board.)

Sorry. Some feelings are, indeed, wrong. You can be as politically correct as you'd like, I'll protect the kids, thanks. They're the ones who need protecting...not the adults who can call all the shots as they like. I am not about to protect a 55-year-old's "right" to masturbate to the thought of a 13-year-old, sorry. He's on his own there (or she's on her own).

Old 12-17-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
You do not need to lie about who you are. You need to confront who you are, if you're coveting children in a sexual way. (I don't know if you are.) And yes, it is okay to let people know that certain "feelings" can be wrong. It is wrong for a 14-year-old to go to her friend's house and have her friend's 50-year-old father peering at her through a crack in the door. (That's an example, I'm not saying that's you or anyone specific to this board.)

Sorry. Some feelings are, indeed, wrong. You can be as politically correct as you'd like, I'll protect the kids, thanks. They're the ones who need protecting...not the adults who can call all the shots as they like.
The part in bold is an action, not a feeling. The two usually have nothing to do with eachother. I still think feelings are never wrong. The closest they become to wrong is inefficient. That's not enough to pretend they don't exist and try to stomp them out. Let go, and relax, and they'll go away on their own seems to work better.

I've never trusted that whole thought can be evil concept at all, or anything that seems similar to it. Maybe different people's brains work differently. I've found a sort of accepting who we are seems to work wonders in personal contentment, and our ability to get along well with society. I've never been good around kids though....persons 17-my age (27) and older, I'm fairly good with though.

Last edited by Clintone; 12-17-2012 at 12:46 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
The part in bold is an action, not a feeling. The two usually have nothing to do with eachother.
Total myth. Yes, in fact they can and do. If thinking about it can't be wrong, then just "appreciating" (staring) can't be wrong...and if "appreciating" can't be wrong then neither can staring...and so on. I've seen how this sort of thing evolves and develops and the self-justification that allows predators to continue until action does happen, in some cases (if you consider staring/watching an action, certainly).

More justification, Clintone. Have you looked within to ask yourself why you feel so strongly about defending this subject?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 AM

^ By the way, such justifications can convince a very young person, and sometimes, they do convince a very young person. That's how a dominance/inferiority situation (much older/much younger) situation works: "I'm smart...you need to listen to me...I know what I'm talking about, better so than your parents do, in fact. Can these feelings really be wrong?" etc.

I'm older - that's the only reason I can hold my own against such types of "logic". Younger people can't...and predators know they can't.

It's called grooming. It seems some posters here are unconsciously attempting to use their "knowledge" to convince other adults, simply because it has worked on children. It may be a surprise to some that it just doesn't work in peer interaction (adults with adults)...which pretty much is the whole point, and the whole draw, of the much-older, adult person to the very young teen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology