Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 12:06 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Puberty by definition: Wiki Since we're being logical, clinical and civilized here.

From the article:

"On average, girls begin puberty at ages 10-11; boys at ages 11-12.[1][2][3] Girls usually complete puberty by ages 15–17,[3][4][5] while boys usually complete puberty by ages 16–17."
This is pretty much what I stated above.

Humans are biologically ready to reproduce at about age 15. This is related to the average life span being 35-40 originally in humans

Having the first child at 15, and another few children over the next 5-10 years allows all the children to be sexually mature before the death of the original parent. Thus continuing the existence of the species.

How you've twisted this fact around to accuse me of whatever you are exactly accusing me of, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM

72 posts, read 105,165 times
Quote:
Puberty by definition: Wiki Since we're being logical, clinical and civilized here.

From the article:

"On average, girls begin puberty at ages 10-11; boys at ages 11-12.[1][2][3] Girls usually complete puberty by ages 15–17,[3][4][5] while boys usually complete puberty by ages 16–17."
Okay? In the OP I said puberty usually ended around 16.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayhem666 View Post
Okay? In the OP I said puberty usually ended around 16.
Yes, I was clarifying my use of the word "pubescent." 14-year-olds have been referenced in this thread and I was clarifying why I was saying "pubescent" and not adult or person of the age of consent.

HTH.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I'll repeat that you've displayed boundary issues at this point and might want to look into that. Other than that, I can't help you, and I can't help the pubescents you're exposed to, unfortunately.
I don't need any help. Instead of attacking my person, of which you are next to completely ignorant, can you address the points raised in the thread?

Humans are sexually mature at about 16 years of age. This is related to the average life span of early humans.

If humans were not attracted to other sexually mature humans the species would not exist. If early humans only found 25 year olds sexually attractive the parents would be dead before their offspring were able to survive without them.

It is mostly the change in society (education and careers) and our life spans that make this at all questionable.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 PM

72 posts, read 105,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I don't need any help. Instead of attacking my person, of which you are next to completely ignorant, can you address the points raised in the thread?

Humans are sexually mature at about 16 years of age. This is related to the average life span of early humans.

If humans were not attracted to other sexually mature humans the species would not exist. If early humans only found 25 year olds sexually attractive the parents would be dead before their offspring were able to survive without them.

It is mostly the change in society (education and careers) and our life spans that make this at all questionable
There is also the fact that women at their most fertile right after puberty and into their early 20s.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
There is also the fact that women at their most fertile right after puberty and into their early 20s.
Of course that is related to the above

And is also a good reason NOT to have sex with women of that age

Old 12-17-2012, 01:29 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Quote:

Why not?

We have bestiality laws.

Next you'll be telling me sex with children should be ok too because the children "enjoy it".

You sound exactly like a pedophile, who also justify their attraction to age inappropriate individuals.

The point is, society has decided both of the above are "ew", and thus, made them illegal.

I don't know why you believe that the laws should suddenly be changed based merely on your own opinion or some new anthropological research, when the laws have been developed and refined over the centuries to protect the vulnerable. We had no laws at all in this regard except moral laws, since humans crawled out of the swamp. Morality used to be enough. No longer.

*The vulnerable being, very young people, and your pets/farm animals.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:48 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
I find it a tad bit disturbing that some people on here are trying to justify having sex with minors.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:09 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
I think 18 is fine.

I work with teens and most of them aren't really mentally mature (or act like it) until about 17-18 (or until they are Seniors).

Yes, there are some mature 15-16 year olds, but they are in the minority. Most by that age are still acting like middle schoolers.

My question is, if you're older than, say, 21, why would you want to date someone in high school? Just because they are attractive and fertile?

In any case the OP quoted:

Quote:
When it comes to decisions that permit more deliberative,
reasoned decision making, where emotional and social
influences on judgment are minimized or can be mitigated
and where there are consultants who can provide
objective information about the costs and benefits of alternative
courses of action, adolescents are likely to be just as
capable of mature decision making as adults, at least by the
time they are 16. Three domains of decision making that
would seem to fit into this category are medical decision
making (where health care practitioners can provide information
and encourage adolescents to think through their
decisions before acting), legal decision making (where
legal practitioners, such as defense attorneys, can play a
comparable role), and decisions about participating in research
studies (where research investigators, guided by
institutional review boards, can function similarly).
Sex is one of, if not the most emotional things a person can do. It isn't a legal matter or research study.

Sure this one study might have suggested, that at 16, teens are as smart as their adolescent counterparts, but they aren't as emotionally developed or have the experience or knowledge to deal with an older partner (or older anyone for that matter).

Teens should be teens and have relationships, like this, with teens and people around their age. I think going through the awkwardness is a part of life and to supplant that with an older person, just seems weird because of how our current society has drifted away from that.

So:

1. I don't think this study supports dropping the age to 16 (as it wasn't the point of the study anyway).
2. Why would a person who is older want to date a teenager?
3. Even if some teens are mature enough, not all are.
4. Even though 18 seems arbitrary, it is a good cutoff point that usually coincides with other "adult" activities; and the end of High School
6. Keeping the age at 18 (in a perfect world) allows for these years to not only remain maturation years, but also gives the teen enough time to make their own decisions with knowledge hopefully provided to them; by their parents/school whatever.
A "unbiased" source.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
The premise of the Age of Consent is when a person at a certain age is considered to be competent enough to consent to sexual acts, which is 16 in most places. This has been criticized as being an arbitrary concept but I think nature says that the average age of consent is indeed just. At 16 puberty usually ends meaning that people are sexually mature but more relevant to the subject is that cognitive abilities are fully matured at 16.

Quotes taken from the Cognitive capacity section of this article:
http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/rel...p-64-7-583.pdf

With I that said do you believe that 16 is the appropriate age to consider someone to be competent enough to consent to sexual acts?
The APA article you are citing (which btw has a virus and should not be downloaded) is about the juvenile death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology