Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 PM

588 posts, read 957,743 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! It seems that I run across people who love to control others' lives. They have an opinion about everything:
"She should leave her husband",
"I don't know why he quit his job to go back to school! If it were me..."
"I can't believe she adopted that child. How can she afford it? She should listen to me." Blah blah blah
Unfortunately, I have a few in my life who think they know what's best for me and are very upfront about letting me know!
I'm wrong, they're right. All the time.
Have any of you ever encountered people like this? What are your thoughts? Is it that they feel out of control of their own lives, so they want to boss others around? Or do they just care so much about a person, they want to "advise" you on how to live a better life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 12:41 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
They sound unhappy with something in their own life. Happy, well-adjusted people don't think/behave that way. Find new friends who are more upbeat.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post

Is it that they feel out of control of their own lives, so they want to boss others around?

Or do they just care so much about a person, they want to "advise" you on how to live a better life?
Could be either.

What happens if what they think is best for you is actually best for you?

For example, what happens if you are two months from graduating high school and you decide to quit. Your parents and others think it is best for you to finish high school. Are they telling you that because "they feel out of control of their own lives, so they want to boss others around"?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 PM

Yeah Ruth4Truth, I agree that they may just be unhappy with their own lives. I mean, sometimes all I can do is laugh when one of them says, "I can't believe you go to bed so early!! You must be depressed or something!" But she's holding her fifth glass of wine as she says it! LOL! People are a trip.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
I think it is okay and fine to have opinions and to voice them. It makes like more interesting.

I would listen to what they have to say and consider whatever they are suggesting.

What they are suggesting to you may feel wrong at this moment, but you'd be surprised how you may be amenable to what they said in the future - even one week, one month, or one year from now.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:50 PM

If they're telling you not to quit high school then of course that's what is best for you. I meant people who judge you for something you're doing that isn't necessarily a horrible thing, but they try to boss you around and think that their way is the only way.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think it is okay and fine to have opinions and to voice them. It makes like more interesting.

I would listen to what they have to say and consider whatever they are suggesting.

What they are suggesting to you may feel wrong at this moment, but you'd be surprised how you may be amenable to what they said in the future - even one week, one month, or one year from now.
It is good to have different opinions. I guess it's also the way they say what they're saying. LOL!! Hope that makes sense. For instance, I love, love LOVE to read. But it's gotten to the point to where I will hide my book when my loudmouth aunt comes over! "WHAT ARE YOU READING FOR? YOU NEED TO BE OUT SOCIALIZIN'!! SUCH A SHAME A PRETTY GIRL LIKE YOU WASTIN' AWAY, SITTIN' HERE BY YOURSELF, JUST READING!" And I am by no means antisocial.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:58 PM

And I don't know if this will be deleted, but another example is my friend who is dating outside her race (which I am totally for and see nothing wrong with...I date outside my race all the time .) But man, she catches so much flak, just because she's doing something her friend wouldn't do. We just roll our eyes whenever her friend starts talking about, "Well, I would stay with my own race. Are you crazy? Blah blah"

Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Hi everyone! It seems that I run across people who love to control others' lives. They have an opinion about everything:
"She should leave her husband",
"I don't know why he quit his job to go back to school! If it were me..."
"I can't believe she adopted that child. How can she afford it? She should listen to me." Blah blah blah
Unfortunately, I have a few in my life who think they know what's best for me and are very upfront about letting me know!
I'm wrong, they're right. All the time.
Have any of you ever encountered people like this? What are your thoughts? Is it that they feel out of control of their own lives, so they want to boss others around? Or do they just care so much about a person, they want to "advise" you on how to live a better life?
Hi mia, No I have never encountered this....
KIDDING!
A therapist friend tells me all the time that since people don't meditate and have peace deep inside...
they value their thoughts and opinions SO much...that is all they've got...what's in their heads....then they also
don't have the control or awareness to 'Think it, but keep it to themselves'.
She is quite bugged by this.

People don't often tell me what to do or make suggestions...I'm kind of intimidating.
Not scary...just tall, confident, happy, radiate that I know who I am....just a fact, not ego.
If a new person does, I am all Southern sweet and think they're cute bec they don't know me.
I always say, Thank you that's a good idea and smile.
(Like as if I would listen to them looking at their lives..)
Again, not ego....ya just have to look at the source....I know how things get misinterpreted on forums...
So I'm just sayin'...always be gracious and let people spout whatever they want.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,411 times
I tend to think it's their way of trying to remain in control of their own lives. It's something to do with fear but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

The only people who try to tell me what to do at this point is my mom and my religious friends. So I can't be very close to them anymore. It's too much caging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology