Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:28 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times

Advertisements

Oooh, that's a good one! I would copy all my DVDs and sell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 11:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I would rebroadcast a football game without the express written consent of the national football league.
I would go into a mattress store and rip all the tags off their mattresses.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:30 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,541,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
No. As it is there are several things that are legal that I don't do because I am morally opposed and it goes against my character. Character is what you do when no one is looking, even if it's legal.
The existence of many laws has nothing to do with morality.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:42 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,541,484 times
I'd would wash my car at my house.
I'd let my niece buy spray paint.
I'd use my AARP card, instead of my DL, to buy alcohol.

I would open a business without getting all the stupid licenses, permits, and inspections. And screw it - I wouldn't pay taxes on it either.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:44 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,926 times
I'd hold up a bank, hey they rob me, it's fair.
And speed. That's about it. Maybe ride a bike on the sidewalk.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,282,382 times
Yes, I'd commit arson: I'd burn up all the junk my in-laws have on their rural property, including a derelict RV and a large shed full of old junk. OH BOY would I love to see it going up in flames!

Then I'd steal a few dogs from people who neglect them.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
The problem is that everything is legal for that one day, so if you steal a car you are fine that day, but what about the next? It is still stolen by you. If you rob a bank that money is still missing the next day and must be accounted for. The question should probably be if you could commit a crime and know that you would never be caught, would you, and what would you do? Having crimes legal for a day only makes it ok legally that day, after that there will be a billion people responsible for everything that was done by them the day before. It would create mass chaos.
Say smoking crack is perfectly legal one day, then the next day it's not, you can't get someone into trouble for committing what is now a crime when it wasn't the day before.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,778,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I believe this was the background to the premise of a movie, The Purge, that came out this year. I didn't see the movie, but it's interesting to consider how society would react to a policy like that.

Personally, I can't see myself robbing a store or stabbing my ex boyfriend even if their were no legal repercussions. Laws are only created for the relatively few individuals who don't have the sense or principles to otherwise behave appropriately with the rest of society, and those individuals are the kind of people who'll go ahead and break the laws anyway.

Or maybe it'd work like a riot, where a few people behaving chaotically cause everyone else to behave chaotically in response.

Anyway, can see yourself ever doing something that's typically outlawed if it was temporarily legal? I mean, maybe if we still lived in the days of Prohibition I'd take the opportunity to get plastered with my friends, but that's about the extent of it for me.
That would depend upon whether or not all crime was both legal AND moral for that day. I wouldn't do anything if God would still hold me accountable for it even if the American justice system wouldn't.

If I were totally void of every last smidgeon of accountability for one day, I can think of some presently illegal and immoral stuff I would do for the betterment of mankind. Of course I'm not going to say what it is, because Big Brother is always watching.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I might buy some weed but that's probably about it.
Yeah, I'd want to try for the 1 day world's record consumption! (assuming it got affordable for 1 day).

Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology