Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Frankly, I'd be hiding under the bed until the day was over.
I'd be under my bed, too - with crosses, garlic cloves, maybe Jack Daniels to relax me ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 06:58 PM

20,021 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Some of you are so vindictive. I guess the lesson here is that I was completely wrong in thinking that our own individual principles align quite neatly with the law.
I think we accept that the law, although a blunt and imprecise instrument, is a very good compromise. But I think we all harbor private and intimate knowledge of various f__ktards that "need killin'". My wife's stepmother, a borderline personality who leaves a wide swath of human wreckage behind her everywhere she goes, is a prime example. I have briefly fantasized more than once about taking her out. Of course in the real world -- even a world in which anything was legal for a day -- I wouldn't actually act on it. I don't want to be responsible for the potential unintended consequences, and I believe it's not right for one (very biased) person to be judge, jury, and executioner. Still ... there really ought to be laws against being a toad touche!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:08 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,830 times
The problem is, if you did want to go out and kill someone or rob a bank, there are going to be a lot of people out like the previous poster who just want to kill to kill, so you likely will be killed if you try to go rob something real quick. It might be tempting, but I would likely go hide somewhere and wait it out.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:36 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Of course I wouldn't. More than laws keep us from committing crimes. Our internal make up and morals would keep most people from being criminals, even if there were no consequences.

Don

Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I believe this was the background to the premise of a movie, The Purge, that came out this year. I didn't see the movie, but it's interesting to consider how society would react to a policy like that.

Personally, I can't see myself robbing a store or stabbing my ex boyfriend even if their were no legal repercussions. Laws are only created for the relatively few individuals who don't have the sense or principles to otherwise behave appropriately with the rest of society, and those individuals are the kind of people who'll go ahead and break the laws anyway.

Or maybe it'd work like a riot, where a few people behaving chaotically cause everyone else to behave chaotically in response.

Anyway, can see yourself ever doing something that's typically outlawed if it was temporarily legal? I mean, maybe if we still lived in the days of Prohibition I'd take the opportunity to get plastered with my friends, but that's about the extent of it for me.
Yeah, I would. I would use a gun for self defence, so I could survive that day.

Self defence is illegal here.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 PM

186 posts, read 362,511 times
Oh, yes, as many of the ones on my list as I could find would have their spines broken. THEY committed the crimes, what should come to pass is justice.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Would all the shops, banks.etc just allow everyone to waltz in steal stuff? Even then I wouldn't...I actually have little interest in material things. I wouldn't hurt anyone, it's not like i'm just itching to punch some old lady and the only thing stopping me is the long arm of the law, it's something called caring for your fellow human being. Of course it might be tempting to play Robin Hood and steal from the rich and give to the poor, but after seeing how some of the poor behave, I get the feeling being a thief isn't restricted to any class.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Heck yeah I got some people on my hit list lol
Okay, I'll meet you halfway. On this day I will change the law and legalize dueling from now on. Only 18th century type weapons will be permitted. Instead of suing someone you detest or he you, or hate for personal reasons, meet face to face on the field of honor and settle it. Flintlock pistols or rapiers at dawn.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
If all crime was legal for a day...sure. Laws do not mean right and just...there's a lot of laws that shouldn't be..A lot of goofy, unnecessary protocols that keep man/woman from reaching his/her greatest potential...they're stumbling blocks to achieving success.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,027 times
I'd steal something back that is rightfully mine - just not in the eyes of the law.

Then I'd go home and we'd all stay on lockdown till it was over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology