Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:32 PM

163 posts, read 424,851 times

Advertisements

Over The past 10 or so yrs I have been stumped when moving to a new town and so many people ask u so what do u do for a living, and I never know how to
Properly answer. I mean u wanna be honest but how much do u tell them? I see the bewilderment in their eyes when I tell them the truth and u can see their minds working on where to slot u in their social system, many simply roll their eyes or go away confused.

The part that always catches me off guard or takes me back is when I come in contact with these people again at events gatherings or professional settings and they hear me in conversation or they learn more about me the look of shock or disbelief on their faces, and Im always left with do people lie so much these days that people just blow off most of what they hear.

Maybe Im different I learned while working for Sams club in college, after reading story about owner founder Sam Walton never being recognized simply because he was always in overalls and driving his beatup red pickup truck, most had jo idea who theyd just met and when told theyd argue that no man worth that kinda $$ would dress or drive what he does. I took away never judge book by its cover and be nice respectful to all u come in contact w/ as u never know who they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
I have had mostly dreadful experiences every time I've told someone what I do for a living. So now when someone asks I playfully tell them if they can guess in 3 tries then I'll talk about it. It's fun hearing people's guesses. It also gives me an opening to explain why I hate telling people my profession (and thus schools the person on how not to react if I do choose to share what I do for a living).

I have never once in my life asked someone what he or she does for a living. But it seems to be one of the first if not THE first question people typically ask each other upon meeting.

Personally, I LOVE my job but I can't stand how people react upon learning what I do. In discussing this phenomenon with others, I've learned many people feel the same way for the same reasons.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:42 PM

350 posts, read 710,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post

Over The past 10 or so yrs I have been stumped when moving to a new town and so many people ask u so what do u do for a living, and I never know how to
Properly answer. I mean u wanna be honest but how much do u tell them? .

the look of shock or disbelief on their faces

I see the bewilderment in their eyes when I tell them the truth and u can see their minds working on where to slot u in their social system, many simply roll their eyes or go away confused.
OK, so what do you do for a living?

Am I missing something? The previous posts almost sound like I'm the only person who is in the dark on what you guys do for a living?

Old 09-15-2013, 02:03 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
I just tell people. I'm a Nurse. *shrugs*

For me, alot of people ask why I'm not a doctor. I don't have a legitimate answer to that. Nursing just felt like where I needed to go.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:48 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,543 times
I say "what ever I want". What's it to them, they don't support me.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
It's funny, I am sort of retired from a long term profession.

I'm still too young to properly retire and so I'm deciding what to do next - maybe I'll even go back to school.

I want to say "I work for myself" because at the moment that's exactly what I'm doing, then folks say "doing what" and it sounds stupid to say "rebuilding my life after a major illness".

I'm at a loss what to say too, I don't want strangers knowing my medical history.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
I say "what ever I want". What's it to them, they don't support me.
So you're at a party and you reply that way to someone? Why would you be so disengaging? Don't you think the person asking might find your response rude?

Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
"As little as possible" always seems to get a few laughs.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
I mean u wanna be honest but how much do u tell them?
This thread is really confusing me. What is the big deal?

So you answer with the truth.

I'm an engineer.
I work at the Blah Blah corporation in manufacturing.
I drive a truck.
I'm a stay at home mom.
Nothing right now, I'm on disability.
I'm a teacher.
I'm unemployed looking for medical office opportunities.
etc.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:06 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
It seems to me that the OP and K9coach as well are just playing word games with us. So, we're supposed to be puzzled as to what it's all about? Unless they tell us what they actually do, there is no way we can get the point of it all. Quite obviously what they do doesn't fit into a typical short answer (nurse, real estate agent, accountant, teacher, carpenter, plumber, and so on). So they are telling us they have a problem giving a short answer. And the point would be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology