Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 11:30 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
I can understand what you are saying, and it remind me of the PUA (pick up artist community), however; I do not relate myself in that regard, and the way that I go about things is different. My problem is that the pick up artist community really objectifies women and does not hold them into much regard. I'm not sure if it is classified as 'mysogny' however, there is a noticable lack of respect that is there. A lot of men on those forums are typically very angry men, and nearly all of them hold the mindset of anger, most likely stemming from rejection from women. This in turn circles around and gives them validation for their anger. It's a vicious and disgusting circle quite frankly. It's not a surprise why this really scares some women, and I think when you look at this weird 'cult community' (which Elliot was somehow part of), it is easy to see why some women hold these views.

What people forget is that "pick up artistry" can not only be used to attract a woman for casual sex (which I'm not fond of) but also for relationships. Most women, even "good" ones, respond to that approach. Those who say they don't are probably lying.

Remember: men often lie to women about what they want, women often lie to themselves about what they want.

Quote:
For myself personally, I'm not going to lie. I'm not looking to date, and I do have the desire to sleep with many attractive women as possible. That may change later on, but for right now that is my position. With that said, I am respectful to all the women I meet. I don't ever lead them on and I tell them from the beginning what I am looking for. Some appreciate it and decline, others are comfortable with it, but at any rate, I am honest from the beginning. Nearly all the women I have encountered have been appreciative that I am direct in this regard. If they are not interested that's fine too, I can respect that. Even the women that I have been with, if they were the ones that came over, I always call them to make sure they get home, and one today I called this evening just to see how their day went. I don't ever leave any woman worse than I met them, and I don't want them to feel like a wh--e either and they don't because I am respectful to them. I treat them just like I would with any of my friends. I don't feel 'entitled' to sex, I understand it is a mutual thing, and that is fine with me. I actually had someone on the phone that I was talking to tonight tell me it's a huge relief to meet a guy who is nice, but isn't a "needy weirdo". Ouch. The irony is that women want sex just like men do. A lot of them I have found are very open to casual sex as well. What they have a problem with is how men treat them when trying to go about it like cat calling, whistling, yelling "hey baby" or other stupid things like that.

Like I said, women lie to themselves. They say they want a "nice guy" and almost convince themselves they do, but end up with a big jerk named "Biff." They say they want a relationship, but have the time it's just casual sex they want.

And cat calling is always in bad taste and never works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 11:39 PM

600 posts, read 825,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
What people forget is that "pick up artistry" can not only be used to attract a woman for casual sex (which I'm not fond of) but also for relationships. Most women, even "good" ones, respond to that approach. Those who say they don't are probably lying.

Remember: men often lie to women about what they want, women often lie to themselves about what they want.

Like I said, women lie to themselves. They say they want a "nice guy" and almost convince themselves they do, but end up with a big jerk named "Biff." They say they want a relationship, but have the time it's just casual sex they want.

And cat calling is always in bad taste and never works.

That's is true and good point. Women are open to casual or no strings attached sex. Most of them though don't want to admit it or don't want to be viewed as being trashy. So if you invite them out for a drink then before she goes home you offer to let her come up to your place for a drink before she goes home things usually end up in sex. If you were to ask her point blank then she'd say no.

A lot of women who want casual sex don't want to be open about it but a lot are OK with it if it happens

Old 06-30-2014, 02:30 AM

600 posts, read 825,327 times
Quote:
The one thing I will say on the pick up artist community is that it gives a lot of these social rejects/late bloomers/anti social men another lease on life. None of them are natural playboys who go to these forums, nearly everyone has had very limited success with women up until that point. The PUA routines and other gimmicks merely give the men a framework to work with when talking to women. With those gimmicks, this gives men support to go approach women then engage in ridiculous antics. The real objective is that they are approaching, the rest is auto pilot.

Back to your point though, I do agree it's not about just hooking up with women. The real 'benefit' is that the man is actually approaching women. Once you get past that you have immediate options. The law of statistics state if you ask enough women for sex eventually one will say yes. This guy I met awhile back went to a very busy city and spent from sunrise until very late at night approaching women. He approached 100 women just in ONE DAY. That's pretty extreme even for me, but he did it and actually got laid that same day.

Even if you don't though, you still sometimes can get lucky lol. I was totally clueless in college yet still managed to get by. I remember once there was a group of us that went out, and at the end of the night I was alone with one of the other girls and she leaned over and told me that when we get back I should stay overnight in her room b/c I drank that night and I shouldn't drive. I agreed and we went back to her place, then I thanked her and fell asleep on her futon.

Another time, I was also invited back to a girl's place, and she told me that my drive home was too far and I should just stay at her place for the night. I told her that, I felt fine and it was too far so I should be OK and went home.

ROFL. I have A LOT of stories where I left money on the table....it's hilarious when I think about them today.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:11 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times
From what I've seen and heard of Elliot Rodgers', I actually think sex played a much smaller role than a lot of people think. I think he was more obsessed with status and success than sex. He seemed to view sex and women as means towards status rather than as ends of themselves.

He seemed to whine that his car wasn't high-end enough. His school wasn't prestigious enough. He didn't have expensive enough clothes. Everything about him seemed focused on money, status, prestige, and the assumption that expensive means better. He was kinda like a virginal Patrick Bateman.

He didn't just want a girlfriend or even a beautiful girlfriend, but specifically a beautiful blonde girlfriend which he perceived as a higher status than a merely beautiful girlfriend. Blondes are stereotypically perceived as more attractive thus they were better in his mind. Also, he was someone who just wanted things handed to him and never seemed to have earned anything in his life. By his own admissions, he never approached women or seriously try to form a relationship with women he new. He expected them to basically come up to him and offer him sex. He expected sex to be handed to him just like everything else in life.

This isn't a guy who wanted a lot of hot sex. This is a guy who wanted arm candy. He wanted sexual conquests merely to say, "I've been with X amount of women and that means I am superior to anyone who has been with less."

Old 06-30-2014, 06:15 AM

398 posts, read 471,503 times
Patrick Bateman is exactly what I think of when I think of him. He probably was the closest thing we will ever see to that fictional character.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
No, you misunderstood the post. If a woman is aware that a man has romantic interests and offers only friendship that's fine. From a man's standpoint, there is a desire that is unfulfilled and he can decide if that is what is best for him. This is in regards to relationship boundries. You are thinking in extremes.
Oh ok.

Well, from a woman's point of view if she is unable to be with the person she likes, there is a desire that is unfulfilled, and she has to also decide what is best for her. Everyone who wants someone, doesn't "get" them. In fact, I'd say most people don't. What I do think is unreasonable is to visualize it as a loss when one is unable to have the person one lusts after. Maybe that's part of the entitlement generation or something, to think that one ought to have the person one lusts after or view it as a great loss. That's just not the way life works or has ever worked and is the height of unreasonableness.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Remember: women often lie to themselves about what they want.
Um... not exactly. I've always known what I don't want very clearly.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
99% of women like a man who's a bit of a jerk. Nice guys really do finish last, even with nice girls. I use the "game" to reel them in, and then decide if I want to keep them or throw them back in the water, so to speak.
This is the biggest piece of men's "rights" bs I've read. However, it's probably comforting to that segment of the male population that just can't get their life together in any way. It provides a reason for why they're alone.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
This is the biggest piece of men's "rights" bs I've read.
What the hell does this have to do with "men's rights?" I'm simply talking about the way people socialize.

Quote:
However, it's probably comforting to that segment of the male population that just can't get their life together in any way. It provides a reason for why they're alone.
No, they are alone because they are being too nice and too timid, and we all know it. There is a reason why "nerds" are often dateless but men who have a history of domestic violence never seem to be lacking when it comes to female companionship. Women generally prefer jerks to nice guys. This is a FACT:

"Indeed, research has established that Dark Triad men demonstrate more sexual success by comparison to their peers"

Why Do Women Fall for Bad Boys? | Psychology Today

And I myself had no success until I finally gave in to myself and embraced my ASPD, then suddenly women found me appealing. Maybe Elliott Rodgers had the problem of not being enough of a psychopath?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 AM

[quote=victorianpunk;35450689]What the hell does this have to do with "men's rights?" I'm simply talking about the way people socialize. [quote]

You said this:

Originally Posted by victorianpunk
99% of women like a man who's a bit of a jerk. Nice guys really do finish last, even with nice girls. I use the "game" to reel them in, and then decide if I want to keep them or throw them back in the water, so to speak.

And that is NOT the way "people socialize," nor is that real life at all. It is merely the imaginings of men who just can't get their life together in any way; an excuse these men make up to make it appear that it's not their own personal failures, but something women are doing to make them miss out on life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology