Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 12:46 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Do you want to hear the weirdest First World Problem?

The other night I had to go into Walgreens to pick up prescriptions for my husband. He is post surgical with complications, so my nerves were fairly jangled that evening.

I walk into Walgreens and this little old man comes dashing up to me, places both of his hands on my shoulders and before I can even react, he starts moving toward me like he plans to plant a huge kiss on me. Then he sings... very loudly... into my surprised face. It sounded something like, "Oooooh nnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg!" I was taken aback, but extricated myself from the strange guy and moved toward the pharmacy.

At the pharmacy counter, I was informed that they had no medications for my husband. I assured them that it should have been called in earlier in the day by the surgical staff. They assured me that they had nothing there.

I spent a half hour on the phone with various nurses, one of whom advised me to "walk back in there with my chest puffed out and with high self esteem." I questioned her as to what that had to do with anything and she said, "Oh, I thought you were nervous about walking back into the store for the second time." Really? No, I'm not nervous about having to go back into the store a second time, but thanks for the psychological pep talk.

I went in again and there's Andy The Checkout Guy who apparently just started working there. First he informed me that they had no prescriptions for my husband. Another checkout person heard and yelled, "Andy, they just called them in" so he went "in search of" the medications while I stood there, worrying about my husband being home alone and needing medication. Andy finally found the two prescriptions and came back to the checkout, looking triumphant. He accidentally voided the transaction. He looked at me and said, "Ooops. Sorry 'bout that." And then we stood, staring awkwardly at one another while waiting for someone with authority to come and "fix" the register. Then I got to interact with a giggly pharmacist who assured me that she had taken this very same antibiotic just weeks ago and it's "really good."
Sitting on the nearby chairs was a woman who was berating her wailing child, telling the child to clean up her face. She pinched her arm and told her to shut up.

As I was leaving the store with my pulse pounding in my ears (and medications grasped in my very tightly clenched fist,) I was startled by a woman in the vestibule playing the flute. She hit a high note as I was walking through the door and I nearly farted in her flute hole, I was so surprised. I think I yelled, "Gaaaaaah!" The other guy standing there, ringing the bell, waiting for donations, yelled, "Merry Christmas!" at me and I yelled, "Gaaaah" again because he'd escaped my attention the first time.

What a first world country we live in where even escaped monkeys can get a job at Walgreens and flautists are free to tootle up a storm in frozen vestibules, greeting the sick and crabby folks who just want their medications. But at least I could pay with a debit card and got my pills in a fancy bottle, so there's that.
My dreams/nightmares are not NEARLY this colorful or bizarre.

I, uh, think it's time to find a new drug store.

Just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 10:09 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
My dreams/nightmares are not NEARLY this colorful or bizarre.

I, uh, think it's time to find a new drug store.

Just sayin'
That was an astoundingly bad night. I got out to my vehicle and just screamed as loudly as I could. I kept screaming until I pulled into my driveway. Then I came in the house, started choking, and threw up. Turns out, life is not like a sitcom, after all. I was misled in my youth.

I'm checking out a small, local pharmacy that is located across the street from the Screaming Hell-On-Earth Walgreens I visited the other night! It has to be better... or at least, can't be as bad.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:27 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My crazy brother doesn't have a checking account. So he wants my mom to WIRE HIM VIA WALMART some money for Christmas. This would entail a trip to the very bowels of hell in my opinion, and of course my mother is oblivious to this because she just expects me to do it. I've got news for her. She's the one who wants to send him money (and he doesn't have a checking account so she can't just send him a check). So I am going to make her go with me to send him Christmas money via the customer service line at WalMart during Christmas.

What is wrong with people?

I think I'm going to tell him that if we're going to go that archaic, maybe he needs to go pan for gold out in the creek out back.

If your mother has a checking account at a bank that is in the same town as your brother they will cash it. For instance my mother has an account with Bank of America and I don't. They will cash her check to me at a Bank of America. They will take my fingerprint but they do it. Now if she has an account with Bank of the Islands who only has 5 branches in the entire United States and none of them are where your brother lives he's out of luck.

Can you send him a money order or a Visa/MasterCard gift card that he can use anywhere?

Old 12-17-2016, 04:40 PM

I wore my Sketchers without socks as I was just running to the store. When I got home and took them off I noticed they caused my toenail polish to chip off badly. Now I look like some hillbilly from the boonies with toenail polish half off AND I have to touch them up before the Christmas party when I just did my pedicure last weekend. :-(

I'm in Florida so we are still wearing t-shirts and sandals (sorry, but I had to rub it in).

Old 12-17-2016, 06:52 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
I have these knock off "crocs" that I usually wear to go out to fill the bird feeders. I put them on today and they were all full of water from the snow I walked through the day before. I thought, "Oh, well, big whoop. I'm a tough Wisconsin lady." I stepped outside and the ground was so cold that I kind of froze into place on the concrete for a couple of seconds. Then I walked out to fill the feeders, trudging through a foot of snow in my wet, plastic generic crocs. But at least I wasn't totally barefoot. First World. Whoo hoo.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Tell her to just send him cash in the mail. To avoid it being stolen send $1 - $5 increments separately. that way if one or two get swiped, it is no great loss. She could also send via Fed Ex or UPS and insure it.
This is so far beyond my mother's skill set that it's unfathomable.

I got online and ordered him a $100 gift card. Smart, huh? Well, apparently my debit card - which has NEVER "not worked" anywhere online, which I use constantly, which has plenty of nice, pretty money behind it at the bank, which I just used on Amazon, could not be used on WalMart.com. It could not be verified. WHAT? I tried deleting and editing and reentering the same info four different times. Four different times the transaction was canceled - about 4 hours after I placed the order. Again. And again. And again. And again.

Finally I said to myself, "Self, try PayPal." Now - Paypal is linked to the exact same debit card. It went through like a charm and a Walmart gift card is now on it's way to my idiot 45 year old brother who doesn't have a checking account.

Taxing, yes, but at least I didn't have to go to WalMart.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If your mother has a checking account at a bank that is in the same town as your brother they will cash it. For instance my mother has an account with Bank of America and I don't. They will cash her check to me at a Bank of America. They will take my fingerprint but they do it. Now if she has an account with Bank of the Islands who only has 5 branches in the entire United States and none of them are where your brother lives he's out of luck.

Can you send him a money order or a Visa/MasterCard gift card that he can use anywhere?
He wants a WalMart gift card. And no, my mother's bank doesn't have a branch in his teeny, tiny town.

No worries, I finally FINALLY got him that damn card. He knows it's technically from my mother (which meant I had to get reimbursed from her, which is a whole other story of confusion and hassle) and he knows she's sent it already but of course he hasn't acknowledged it, because giving thanks is not how he rolls.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:33 PM

Another First World problem:

Went up to Ohio to see my daughter last week, flying in from Texas. First shock was that there was all this white stuff all over the place. And it was cold. As in 9 degrees cold in the middle of the day. I quickly realized that the "boots" I had brought, which I bought in Texas at Payless, were totally unsatisfactory and could actually be dangerous on some level.

So I had to take some of my vacation time and some of my vacation money and go buy Keens boots at Cabela's. Now - these boots are waterproof and guaranteed to keep one's feet warm down to 4 degrees. When I bought them I thought this was satisfactory. Till it got below 4 degrees. Then - my feet were COLD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Listen here - that temperature level is ridiculous. Not to mention all that snow and ice. RIDICULOUS I TELL YOU. Stop the madness.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:59 PM

It was so warm today I had to turn on the a/c.........

Old 12-18-2016, 06:26 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
It's predicted to reach 81 degrees on Christmas Day here. I'm going to have to turn on the air conditioning in order to have a fire in the fireplace. I WILL have a fire in the fireplace on Christmas Day even if we all have to sit around the tree naked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology