Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 10:31 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Okay. It must be grumbling day. Here's another one perfect for this time of year.

Why do bachelors think they can just show up at potluck dinners and not have to bring anything?

Especially since they usually eat twice the amount of nearly anyone else.

LOL....a bottle of wine should be obligatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 01:05 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Mash them and freeze them in a baggie. They'll be good when you get around to making banana bread again.
Yes, but then they will take up precious freezer space, causing you to now have to use the second freezer to store your 20 lbs. of smoked sausage and brisket. So now you have to walk all the way over to the second freezer to get stuff that would have been closer if kept in the main freezer. Where the bananas are now stored instead. Ugh!

Makes you yearn for the ability to just walk out to the jungle (or village square) and lop off a couple of perfectly ripe, organic bananas whenever you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Okay. It must be grumbling day. Here's another one perfect for this time of year.

Why do bachelors think they can just show up at potluck dinners and not have to bring anything?

Especially since they usually eat twice the amount of nearly anyone else.

Lol. Those I knew usually just brought bags of chips and jarred dip. Or a bucket of store-bought fried chicken and called it a day.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:01 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
DH got mad at me last night. I won't watch Schindler's list because movies like that make me very sad.

So I suggested Wonder, and not even 20 mins into it and DH (with eyes tearing) was like "OMG, Schindler's list would have been downright festive compared to my heart breaking for this poor kid" and made me turn it off.

It's weird what things we cannot handle.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-23-2018, 08:35 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I love my husband, but I am trying to bake (and do laundry) and he was just sitting here chatting away, chatting, chatting, chatting.... I'm trying to read recipes, set timers, and measure stuff.

I sent him to the store for some ingredients, then I have 7 people blowing up my phone texting planning a group vacay....

Just waiting for one of the dogs to puke or something.
I hate it when I'm in the kitchen making dinner and he's sitting in the living room watching a cooking show and moaning over how good that recipe looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
DH got mad at me last night. I won't watch Schindler's list because movies like that make me very sad.

So I suggested Wonder, and not even 20 mins into it and DH (with eyes tearing) was like "OMG, Schindler's list would have been downright festive compared to my heart breaking for this poor kid" and made me turn it off.

It's weird what things we cannot handle.
I hate watching movies like that (Schindler's), too. I did watch it because... I felt I just had to. I haven't seen Wonder yet, but I will. But I know what you mean. I predict I will "enjoy" Wonder more. Can't explain it.

I was just discussing this topic yesterday with SO. I mentioned that knowing the movies I watch, the colors I like, etc., the "ambience" I surround myself with, people might suspect me to be a sunny personality. But I (and he) suspect that it's a way to bring me up from my more depressive, gloomy/moody self. I shy away from dark, apocalyptic-type entertainment. I don't need that. lol

Old 12-24-2018, 07:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I hate watching movies like that (Schindler's), too. I did watch it because... I felt I just had to. I haven't seen Wonder yet, but I will. But I know what you mean. I predict I will "enjoy" Wonder more. Can't explain it.

I was just discussing this topic yesterday with SO. I mentioned that knowing the movies I watch, the colors I like, etc., the "ambience" I surround myself with, people might suspect me to be a sunny personality. But I (and he) suspect that it's a way to bring me up from my more depressive, gloomy/moody self. I shy away from dark, apocalyptic-type entertainment. I don't need that. lol
LOL this is crazy - I am the opposite! I have a very bouncy, upbeat personality. Once someone said to my mom, "Well, I bet when Kathryn crashes, she crashes hard," and my mom said, "Well, actually I've known her for over 50 years and I've never seen her crash." I am the opposite of moody but if you want someone to commiserate, feel empathetic, etc I am not your gal. I'm like, "You feel bad? Hmmm, what can I do about this..." Anyway, my point is that I actually LIKE sad, dark, intense, even gloomy movies and shy away from most comedies or light, "feel good" stuff. So there must be a correlation.

The more gnarly a movie is, the better I like it. If it makes me cry, BONUS POINTS.

I cried like a baby watching Sophie's Choice - I think that is the movie that has gotten to me the most, the one that comes to mind whenever anyone says, "What movie made you cry?" THAT ONE RIGHT THERE.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:01 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL this is crazy - I am the opposite! I have a very bouncy, upbeat personality. Once someone said to my mom, "Well, I bet when Kathryn crashes, she crashes hard," and my mom said, "Well, actually I've known her for over 50 years and I've never seen her crash." I am the opposite of moody but if you want someone to commiserate, feel empathetic, etc I am not your gal. I'm like, "You feel bad? Hmmm, what can I do about this..." Anyway, my point is that I actually LIKE sad, dark, intense, even gloomy movies and shy away from most comedies or light, "feel good" stuff. So there must be a correlation.

The more gnarly a movie is, the better I like it. If it makes me cry, BONUS POINTS.

I cried like a baby watching Sophie's Choice - I think that is the movie that has gotten to me the most, the one that comes to mind whenever anyone says, "What movie made you cry?" THAT ONE RIGHT THERE.
I make references to Sophies Choice frequently. That scene changed the way I feel about humanity.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I make references to Sophies Choice frequently. That scene changed the way I feel about humanity.
Lord, me too. That is one scene that will forever burn into my memory. The sad thing is, I can see that it could have happened exactly like that, knowing how some people became monsters under Hitler's regime and how people can slowly begin to justify truly evil behaviors.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Lord, me too. That is one scene that will forever burn into my memory. The sad thing is, I can see that it could have happened exactly like that, knowing how some people became monsters under Hitler's regime and how people can slowly begin to justify truly evil behaviors.
That's the only scene I saw, once while channel surfing, and I still start crying if I think about it. /shudder

My first world problem right now is the holidays... I always end up hectic and threatening the men folk with physical violence.... but I have to admit, they straighten up and fly right, and execute all the last minute things I need done. It took a few years of training.

AND my phone, the battery is shot and if you look at it loses half it's charge. While being massively behind with WWFs is an irritant, things like not being able to update my shopping list when needed has already caused extra trips to the store and such. Everything I need, schedules, lists of things to do is on that darn thing.

I refuse to replace it because I want the Samsung Note 10 which is scheduled for release in August.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:05 PM

DH has requested a Swear Jar for cookies. Every time I curse, he gets a cookie.

As I seem to be descended from sailors, this does not bode well for my supply chain.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:08 PM

987 posts, read 779,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I bought my wife a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit which is a bit big and a bit of a gas guzzler and she decided she wanted a smaller car to run around in so I bought her a BMW 230I. One thing she learned is that she has to have the key in hand to open and lock the door, unlike her Jeep which you can wave you hand in front of the door if the key is in your pocket and the car unlocks and it also has a button on the outside by the door that you can press which locks the car so she doesn't have to take the key out of her purse.

With her new BMW, she has to take the key our of her purse to lock or unlock the door....she is most upset about this.

Perhaps she needs a manservant to attend her and lock and unlock the car?
I have a 2009 BMW 328i X drive. It has "comfort care" which means the key can stay in my pocket and I have full access to the vehicle, including turning on the ignition...fyi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology