Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:16 PM

678 posts, read 429,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I really want to learn to let go of resentments towards people.

I have many methods, but none of them have really worked for me.

The issue is either that the people I am in current relationship don't care what I think or about our relationship (or have no motive to fix it), or there is no current relationship and the resentments are about things that happened in the past. It seems crazy that the resentments would be carried forward for years and years . . . the people involved would be most surprised, I would think!
So you have a lot of resentment, built up with a number of different people?

Tough to tell what the situations are that bother you, but do you tend to be sensitive and possibly take things too personally? Or does it have to do with indoctrination into a religion?

Resentment is tough to overcome, so I may seek a counselor to help work through it.

If you hold onto hurt, you're only hurting yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 08:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
The "if you hold onto hurt, you're only hurting yourself" is not helpful because that is rational - I know that - the problem is that there is something in me that keeps it unresolved.

I have used many methods to deal with the resentments. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem, and if so, what they have done to resolve it.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:14 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,097 times
I do have resentments, I just thought I didn't.

It took a therapist and a bit of self reflection to see it.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
I always say my piece. Even if it costs me. If I try not to it just builds up and I say it in a worse way than if I had said it sooner.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:19 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,305 times
Absolutely! Especially during the Holidays when family is around.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:41 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Do you have any anger/rage/resentment issues that pop up now and then?

I definitely do.

I have lots of resentments of the way people treat me/have treated me that get triggered especially during holidays when I see these people.

These are issues that can never truly be resolved, as the people don't care that they have offended/hurt me.

It is up to me to resolve these issues within myself.

I do lots of healing modalities and work a lot on forgiveness, but I realize I never truly forgive because I don't get to "say my piece" to these people and I resent that I cannot do it (it would not be "safe" to do so - they would attack me).

Are you aware of these issues within yourself and do you have ideas on how to resolve them so that you really do forgive the people and "don't care" that they dissed you/hurt you/misunderstood you/did character assassination on you/didn't give a crap about you?
Physically? Or more emotional abuse? Either way, are you trapped by circumstances to have to put up with all this in your various threads? I wish you could just stay away from these people.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Nope, no anger or rage built up in me. I can think of a couple areas in my life that could be better, but learn to live with and let go.
Wow. That is awesome. Please share your secrets to letting go!

Old 12-26-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I used to have a huge problem with this. It only rarely happens now that I get into that place and I come out of it quicker. Mine all happened in my childhood. The ones that happened it my adulthood only mattered because it triggered the first time I had those feelings again so I thought it was about the more recent incident but it really went further back.

Some things that helped me:

I found a support group for people who had been through the same thing. That made me feel heard and understood which was huge for me. I told my story on that forum and an older man (probably about my dad's age) went on a rant about how that was so much BS and it's because of situations like mine that we all needed to keep fighting this thing. My dad never intervened to help me and having this guy get angry for what happened, I can't even describe the feeling, but it validated me somehow.

I needed those 3 things to move forward.

Then I heard of this exercise that a person can go back to the situation in their minds and redo it, as an adult, and change what you said or did to what you would say to it now knowing more. That helped me. Then my mind kept going back to one incident that someone had treated me horribly. I kept obsessing over it and couldn't figure out why because it really didn't bother me anymore. Then it hit me, I had done the same thing to someone else. I was a stupid kid and would apologize but I haven't seen the person in 30 years. That helped me to see both perspectives and realize if I expect to be forgiven then I should forgive. I had a really good file going in my mind of all the things done to me but I also had a file on myself. I wiped both clean.

I'm long since wanting any apologies from the people who have hurt me. I believe they were running on programming and didn't know better. I wonder who hurt them to make them so messed up.
This is encouraging.

You had great success dealing with these issues.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I always say my piece. Even if it costs me. If I try not to it just builds up and I say it in a worse way than if I had said it sooner.
And when you say your piece, how does it go?

Do the people really care how you feel?

Are things resolved with everyone you have to say something to?

Old 12-26-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Physically? Or more emotional abuse? Either way, are you trapped by circumstances to have to put up with all this in your various threads? I wish you could just stay away from these people.
The attacks are emotional abuse: Mostly scapegoating, ridiculing, minimizing, ganging up (scapegoating) . . . I am a target for some reason . . . has to do with my psychology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology