Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 01:41 AM

101 posts, read 94,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is there a link between autism and preferring overcast, cool days???
No, not everyone is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 07:53 AM

110 posts, read 83,780 times
The worst kind of days are those cold sunny days in winter with lots of snow on the ground. I find those days depressing.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:36 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froscow View Post
The worst kind of days are those cold sunny days in winter with lots of snow on the ground. I find those days depressing.
I find them fantastic, the deeper the snow with low sun angle light/cold temperatures are great. My best winter trails trips are subzero sunny days with deep powder snow.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:29 PM

12,777 posts, read 14,992,488 times
I've lived in Southern CA my entire life, but I love cool, cloudy/overcast, & rainy weather! 70-75 degrees is ideal for me & I loved the rain since I was a young child! Cool, cloudy, rainy weather has that different, cozy feeling I love. I just hate hot weather & forget 88+ degrees! That's the only thing I hate about the summer.

I hate being out in the sun too. If I'm walking out in public & there's a path that's all sunny & another path that's shady, well of course I'd walk along the shady path!

Old 05-26-2021, 08:05 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I'm with you. As a 68 year old woman. I'm hardly Goth. I live in the Pacific Northwest and absolutely LOVE dark, rainy days. If we get too many days of sunshine in a row, I get really cranky. Sort of a reverse SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Not many people here agree with me and can't wait for the sunny summer. I DO love wearing just a shirt, jeans and sandals, but when the weather starts getting rainy and cool, I'm in heaven.

So you are not alone. Move to the PNW and you'll be very happy.
I just had to laugh. I was born in Portland and raised in Southern California. My mom was born and raised in Portland and I moved back in her elderly years. I ran screaming from Portland after she passed away. 7 looooooong years I was trapped there. I had a panic attack on Summer Solstice 2010 when Rhonda Shelby (love her!) and others kept promising some sun on Summer Solstice. Yeah, all of 20 mins. in the afternoon. I had an actual panic attack, my first one ever. SAD is real. Before that, I questioned whether it was real.

After my mother passed away, I left 3 months later to Arizona. Heaven. HATE gloomy days. With a passion. I met so many people like you though! LOL

Last edited by pathrunner; 05-26-2021 at 08:40 PM..

Old 05-26-2021, 08:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I find them fantastic, the deeper the snow with low sun angle light/cold temperatures are great. My best winter trails trips are subzero sunny days with deep powder snow.
Yeah I found I was the most depressed when I lived in London and it was mostly dreary and got dark super early in the winter. I find that having snow on the ground can actually help perk me up as it makes it bright out.

I do think it can look pretty magical if it has been rainy and is a little gray out, but all the plants are really green and vibrant. It is when you have like the brown/dormant + gray combo that I find the worst.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:50 AM

2,978 posts, read 1,648,918 times
I love cool climes and cloudy skies.

And rain, not humid torrential tropical rain but drizzly off again/on again rain with a cool breeze.

60s is the ideal temp.

I have skin cancer (not melanoma thankfully), have had several kinds of treatment for it, including recently two rounds of topical chemotherapy. Strict orders from the skin doctor to stay out of the sun, wear a hat, etc.

Unfortunately where I live East Coast Mid-Atlantic summer starts in May and goes at least through September, hot and dry.

A cloudy rainy day in summer is a rare treat.

It's good to know others feel the same way, most of my friends and neighbors "love" heat and sunlight.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I've lived in Southern CA my entire life, but I love cool, cloudy/overcast, & rainy weather! 70-75 degrees is ideal for me & I loved the rain since I was a young child! Cool, cloudy, rainy weather has that different, cozy feeling I love. I just hate hot weather & forget 88+ degrees! That's the only thing I hate about the summer.

I hate being out in the sun too. If I'm walking out in public & there's a path that's all sunny & another path that's shady, well of course I'd walk along the shady path!

I think it's funny how I've changed while I've lived here. I could have written what you wrote when I lived in SoCal. Then I moved to OR and within the first year, my happy range dropped to the 60's and anything over 75 is too hot. And within the past few years, if it's sun vs shady, I take the sun mainly because I want the vitamin D and some color (I'm Oregonian Pale - yes, it's a thing ).

Old 06-05-2021, 10:44 AM

12,777 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I think it's funny how I've changed while I've lived here. I could have written what you wrote when I lived in SoCal. Then I moved to OR and within the first year, my happy range dropped to the 60's and anything over 75 is too hot. And within the past few years, if it's sun vs shady, I take the sun mainly because I want the vitamin D and some color (I'm Oregonian Pale - yes, it's a thing ).

Ha! I take lots of vitamins, including D3 so I'm not too concerned about getting it from the sun, although I've started e-biking in the last few mos, so I'm now in more sun again than I was since being back in school. Plus, I personally tan very easily. 30 min in the sun & I'm darker already.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:22 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
I love cool climes and cloudy skies.

And rain, not humid torrential tropical rain but drizzly off again/on again rain with a cool breeze.

60s is the ideal temp.

I have skin cancer (not melanoma thankfully), have had several kinds of treatment for it, including recently two rounds of topical chemotherapy. Strict orders from the skin doctor to stay out of the sun, wear a hat, etc.

Unfortunately where I live East Coast Mid-Atlantic summer starts in May and goes at least through September, hot and dry.

A cloudy rainy day in summer is a rare treat.

It's good to know others feel the same way, most of my friends and neighbors "love" heat and sunlight.
Hey Ruby! It's nice to see others out there like me as well. Long time cloudy/cool-weather fan here. My natural reflex to the "small talk" of what a "nice" day it is is to be annoyed (because it's not a nice day to me! It's a "nice" day to me when everyone else is saying how miserable it is outside!), but I have to remember that's just how most people naturally are. I'm not sure why we're wired to enjoy the cloudy days (me I happen to love all kinds of rain) but that's how it is for us.

What I often run into on my days off though (and what I hear of other's people's days off which makes this extra irritating for me) is that they'll complain that it rained all day on their day off and I'll think of how miserable it was for me on my day off because it was sunny all the time! I still haven't figured out why the weather just doesn't listen to me and do whatever I tell it to do... : /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
I love cool, cloudy, drizzly weather. Ideally, I'd live in a forest where the sunlight is only ever dappled at most and the temperature rarely climbs above 65f.

Sadly I live in Florida.
Same here, Winter! I'm okay with temps going up to 68. Anything above that--too hot. Sunlight makes me sad and irritable. If I didn't have a garden business on the side, my home would be surrounded by trees (but alas, the plants do need that wretched sunlight : (

Wow, that is really too bad where you live. I used to live in Las Vegas for 9 years. I became so depressed toward the end of that. It is amazingly wonderful to be back on the east coast where there's real trees (natural greenery) and it does get cloudy/rains sometimes (and once in a while even on my days off!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology