Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 02:08 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

This thread makes me wonder if it's the cart before the horse deal. Do women gravitate toward "pretty" things like makeup and fashion or are they socialized to like that sorta thing.

It seems with all of the new fangled 25 different sexes we have now and all of the alphabet soup we have I sometimes wonder about some of this stuff.

I mean I'm sure people have studied all of this stuff, I just wonder for the lay person what is the deal. I guess you can put out a bunch of stuff and see what the kids, girls or boys gravitate toward to play with.

I think I heard some people are now opting to not check boy or girl on birth certificates so what do I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 02:24 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This thread makes me wonder if it's the cart before the horse deal. Do women gravitate toward "pretty" things like makeup and fashion or are they socialized to like that sorta thing.

It seems with all of the new fangled 25 different sexes we have now and all of the alphabet soup we have I sometimes wonder about some of this stuff.

I mean I'm sure people have studied all of this stuff, I just wonder for the lay person what is the deal. I guess you can put out a bunch of stuff and see what the kids, girls or boys gravitate toward to play with.

I think I heard some people are now opting to not check boy or girl on birth certificates so what do I know.
I was pretty mad as a kid because I got "girl" toys which I found boring and stupid, and my cousins got cool castle sets and science toys and building stuff. I got a baby doll that really pees if you feed it a bottle of water. Wow. And a Barbie Beach Hot Dog Stand! WHY DO THE FAKE PEOPLE NEED A FAKE HOT DOG STAND JUST WHY???

So. Sometimes they would give me things that had electronic components, or better yet, magnets inside. So I would bash them to bits with a shoe until I could get at the fun parts and pretend I was a mad scientist. I collected lots of screws and springs and washers I found lying out by the road or wherever, and I fantasized about making "an invention." When I was 7 or 8, I built a solar powered "car" that actually worked. I mean to be fair, it wasn't much of a car. It was a bit of plywood with a little motor and some solar panels and wheels. But when you put it down in the sun, it would go. When it reached the nearest spot of shade, it would stop.

I mean come ON, even the He-Man toys were cool! Castle Greyskull? The plastic green tiger with real fuzzy flocking? *sigh* Boys got the best stuff.

Then one time I had a female friend, pretty much the only friend I had as a kid, and watching how she played with dolls, like Barbies, really weirded me out. It was all this roleplay, like they were talking and living out little soap operas. I'd never played that way before, and even thinking about it still makes me anxious.

I don't think I was ever very good at being a girl. But despite liking the stuff people gave to boys to play with, I don't particularly want to be male either.

And meanwhile, my 17 year old son has started wearing eyeliner. Why? Because his girlfriend wants him to.

It's all chaos, man.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:43 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
It looks nice and I enjoy doing it.
I have a nice makeup collection, but I have zero makeup on today. I do what I feellike doing on that given day.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I was, (and I am, I guess) pretty traditionally girl. I LIKED playing with dolls, and I LIKED frilly clothes and dress up clothes. Heck, I STILL want to play dress up. Sometimes I think "When I get old, I'm going to be so flamboyant and "out there" and wear every loud thing I have and want."

I have more than one tiara. I wear them around the house sometimes. My husband rolls his eyes. My siblings tease me and say I'm gawdy. If I am gawdy, they're only seeing "gawdy lite". LOL

We're all different. It's OK. lol

Old 01-14-2019, 02:52 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
And I do find it a little ironic that I didn't have little girls. But I have grandaughters. :-) They're not my biological grandaughters...but they're more like me than not. lol

Old 01-14-2019, 02:55 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:

Well, it's becoming increasingly clear that not all girls or boys, or whoever, like the same things. I mean, I was also a tomboy and grew up around mostly boys in my family. I played their electronic football game, played with their Hot Wheels, etc. But, speaking of fashion, I remember I drove my mom crazy when shopping for school clothes, like even at kindergarten age. I was very into it, very particular. I remember when I was barely school age, my aunt gave me this blue corduroy skirt that had a belt with a little elephant on it. I LOVED that skirt and, obviously, remember it fondly. I remember the pants that were half pink, half purple, and had tiny white bunnies all over them. lol I can remember tons of outfits that I had at a very young age. So I'm pretty sure it's not necessarily because I was socialized to like these things; I just get a lot of enjoyment out of them.

Of course, I want to look good, too. I think most (all?) people do.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:17 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When I was about 12, my aunt gave me a tube of tinted lip balm as a stocking stuffer at Christmas. It's the only gift I remember getting that year. Not that I didn't receive other gifts...but that tube of tinted lip balm was my favorite. It was the closest thing I had to make up at that time. lol
Okay, I'm starting to sound obsessive here, lol, but I remember when I was around 12, my best friend and I went to the mall. I only had so much money, so all I could afford to buy was this little bottle of apricot-flavored/colored lip gloss with a little brush to apply it with, like a bottle of nail polish. It was like a little jewel. I still remember that day and how happy that stupid little bottle of lip gloss made me. lol I just thought it was the prettiest thing in the world.

Quote:
I was, (and I am, I guess) pretty traditionally girl. I LIKED playing with dolls, and I LIKED frilly clothes and dress up clothes. Heck, I STILL want to play dress up. Sometimes I think "When I get old, I'm going to be so flamboyant and "out there" and wear every loud thing I have and want."

I have more than one tiara. I wear them around the house sometimes. My husband rolls his eyes. My siblings tease me and say I'm gawdy. If I am gawdy, they're only seeing "gawdy lite". LOL

Lmao at the tiaras!

My SO routinely mocks my fashion sense, especially my choice of color combinations. He even posted on CD once that I dress like a teenager, which I think is a bit of an exaggeration, but when picking out clothes, I do tend to forget I'm in my 50s. lol

We were watching Trisha Yearwood cook a while back, and I think she was doing a "tailgate episode," so she was wearing loose braids, a baseball cap, and huge hoop earrings. I said, "She looks so cute dressed that way! I think I'm going to do it, too, just for the heck of it." So I braided my hair, and put on some hoop earrings, and even a cap for a little while, even though we were just hanging around the house. Literally playing dress-up. (Wine was involved, so that may have had something to do with it. )

I've got to stop posting in this thread.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:44 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:

LOL, you remind me of someone else.

They may call ya gawdy, but that have to also call you fun too.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Speaking of maintenance, all I know is that when my husband and I are getting ready to go somewhere, it takes him longer than it takes me.

He and I both get a hair cut about once a month, so there's that.

If I don't get my nails done, he does notice - and that's OK, since I also like them better when they are manicured.

Whenever I get dressed "up" and walk into the living room, he is definitely appreciative. Which is a win win because I also feel more confident and attractive when I'm wearing a bit of makeup and some nice jewelry and my hair looks good, which takes an appointment once a month for a cut (no color but so what if it did?).

Some other random guy out there might think that I'm "high maintenance" but I honestly couldn't care less. I'm not trying to impress Random Guy.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:53 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:

I dunno. I was always a tomboy growing up, climbing trees, dirt clod fights, riding horses.... and I still have that part, but I love the girly stuff too. I think we are one up on guys with this, we can change our looks, haircuts, color, all kinds of clothes, shoes....

To me, this is one area where it is great being a woman.

Nature, nurture..... I don't care. But I am also all for it if a woman wants to be all butch, or guy wants to be more feminine.... I think it's great that everyone can express what they feel and not put into a box.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology