Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 06:23 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

No, I'm not afraid of mass shootings, however I do stay aware of my surroundings and I have a code word for my granddaughter (did the same thing with my children), that if something doesn't look right we are to drop everything we are doing and head to the exit or to a safe area. This mass shootings used to be an uncommon event; now we seem to have one every week. It's tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 06:51 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Is anyone afraid of mass shootings in your area?

No, I'm not. I go to malls, stadiums, parks, Walmart, Home Depot, church, and plenty of other places.

The only place I've ever thought of a mass shooting is in church because there are only 3 exits that can be blocked by people with automatic weapons shouting A____ A___.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:57 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I am only afraid of being caught unprepared and unarmed. That would REALLY make me angry.

I would suggest you take a class in tactical self defense and learn how to defend yourself and others.

Then you won't have to be afraid because you'll have a plan.
If someone is firing rounds in your direction running is your only option......

Chuck Norris can't stop bullets either!

Old 08-06-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
No, I don't worry about this but only because I don't live in the US. If I did, I would worry. I won't even go on vacation to the US anymore because of all the gun violence that's reported.
Ok mark this down as the dumbest post on City Data today!

Maybe as a secondary prize we could send you to the Dominican Republic for an all inclusive vacation with unlimited booze!

Old 08-06-2019, 07:04 AM

3 major shootings in recent weeks:

Garlic concert/Walmart/Ohio bar-

None would deter me from going to similar events/places. But lets say there was a political rally in Charlottesville, VA next weekend, that would be a place I would avoid. So being more aware of places that might get unruly would be on my radar more than before.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Not afraid at all even tho I'm in CO with a big history of nuts!
Worry? What good does THAT do?!
Be smart and what will happen will happen.
Shooters are drawn to larger crowds...shop and go to the movies during the week...
drop to the floor...I dunno what to say.

A thought: all of you take a self defense class...build up you confidence at least.

And, if I get off my butt, for Pete's sake, I would like to spend $125 or so for a gun class
to qualify for a "Carry Permit" which is not much more $$, can't rem exactly, but I don't care.
I have guns in my home. Pepper spray at my doors and at work.
So I'm not naive, just not not afraid.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:22 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
I'm very aware of the possibility but I don't stress about it.

Our church has worked hard to set up security teams outside and inside, plus we have a police presence on site.

We've had family discussions about whether we would have the fight or flight response. Would we hide, play dead or go after the killer?

Old 08-06-2019, 07:29 AM

"Worry is like a rocking chair...it's a lot of effort,
but doesn't get you anywhere."

Also, Take precautions, I say, I see now others have said that, too.
Take a

-First Aid class...have supplies for anything.
-Get a Carry Permit.
-Take that self defense class.
-Even get some bullet proof back packs or whatever to hold up in front of you

All of these help you feel stronger, less of a victim.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:55 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No.

Changing my lifestyle would be succumbing to the goals of terrorism, and I'm not going to do that. I take very cautious steps in my normal daily life, but I'm not going to be afraid to go out.

I absolutely disagree that this is the new normal. These are all extraordinary, horrible events that still don't outnumber the total people shot and killed by "ordinary" gun violence around the country.

We still have systemic issues that we all need to address. Staying glued to network TV as they exploit these tragedies would be a waste of my time.
While awful, these events are sensational. They get tons of news coverage.

You're much more likely to die in a traffic accident than a mass shooting. People aren't scared to get on the roadways.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok mark this down as the dumbest post on City Data today!
Maybe as a secondary prize we could send you to the Dominican Republic for
an all inclusive vacation with unlimited booze!
Why is that dumb? This one of yours wins the prize!

I don't go to Calif either...4 close friends at diff times were caught in huge, famous earthquakes...one
was minutes away from the SF Bay bridge when it became a sandwich of death.

The USA has so many guns, other countries have never imagined that...it seems like the Wild West to them...my gosh, the movies are so violent that they see from here...and oh my, if they get
our TV Crime shows!

And then the reality of so many mentally ill shooters!
You have no reason, Carly, to visit the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology