Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 11:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,615,471 times

Advertisements

This question accepts the assumption that people are either gay or straight, male or female & that's that. This IS the model that most of us grew up with so it is natural to assume it. But as noted in examples previous (I didn't read all 5 pages) there are men who indulge in homosexual acts for a variety of reasons including power, loneliness, curiosity, violence, etc.. that don't consider themselves "gay". Most boys first sexual experiences are with other boys & then most "move on" & don't hardly think about that again. We all grew up with knowing boys who were naturally "feminine" & girls that were "tomboys".

I think many are beginning to realize that human behaviors are located on a spectrum, not either/or. We accept that now for autism but there is some feeling that the binary approach isn't accurate to many traits including sexuality, gender, intro/extraversion, types of intelligence, etc...

Attraction is attraction, innate chemistry - sometimes chosen & learned, & sometimes mysteriously immediate. So I don't bother with the term gay unless the person clearly identifies with it & chooses to be called gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 11:25 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
What's so cool about this forum is that everyone here is entitled to their own opinions.

My opinion is that falls under the homosexual category.
If you insist on one or the other, that's your binary logic. How do you feel about threesomes? I've done those too. I don't find men interesting, but the trans woman was hot. I didn't overthink it.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:25 AM

3,325 posts, read 1,822,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2364 View Post
On the contrary, trans women adopt caricatures of women as a form of overcompensation, since physically, they could never really just pass as an actual woman. So, they do it precisely because they're self-conscious about how unconvincingly they'd look if they modeled themselves after average women.

It's like when some white people really, really, really try to be "black" or "Asian" and instead of adopting the more subtle aspects of each group, they go to the most exaggerated and in some cases offensive caricatures (Harajuku, otaku, ghetto culture, etc.). If they tried acting and dressing like an average black or Asian person, they would just be seen and treated as whites who are just interested in different cultures. So, to be seen as actual black or Asian, they have to go to the most exaggerated aspects of each demographic.

BTW, listen to how offensive your comments are. I asked why don't trans women try to look like less stereotypical versions of females (example: Jamie Lee Curtis, Rachel Maddow). You said people like me would say they aren't even trying. Why would I say that? Rachel Maddow and Jamie Lee Curtis are clearly women. So, are you saying (and I'm asking this to be rhetorical) that they're not even trying hard enough to be "real" women? But the man that wears Barbie doll or Betty Page-style clothes, has pink dreadlocks and Lee Press On nails is?
Bingo!

Except for drag queens, Trans Identified Males exhibit the worst and most extreme aspects of sex stereotyping EVER.
As such they are an insult to the founding principles of Feminism.
At least drag queens don't claim to be real women.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:27 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I'm a little confused. Is a transwoman attracted to men or women or both? If they feel they are a woman, wouldn't they be more attracted to men?
I don't think there is anything in the rule book about it. You can have sex with anyone who turns you on and is agreeable.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:31 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,822,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
This question accepts the assumption that people are either gay or straight, male or female & that's that. This IS the model that most of us grew up with so it is natural to assume it.

I think many are beginning to realize that human behaviors are located on a spectrum, not either/or. We accept that now for autism but there is some feeling that the binary approach isn't accurate to many traits including sexuality, gender, intro/extraversion, types of intelligence, etc...

You're half right.

Gayness or straightness depends upon behavior and a complex set of emotional conditions.
It is indeed a spectrum.

Sex does not depend on behavior. It is a primordial condition identifiable at birth, NOT ASSIGNED.
It is indeed binary in nature.

Gender is a linguistic term that TransActivists apply to humans as a proxy for Sex in order to accomplish the impossible.
It is no more than a clever act of misdirection.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:05 PM

19,731 posts, read 20,276,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

If you insist on one or the other, that's your binary logic. How do you feel about threesomes? I've done those too. I don't find men interesting, but the trans woman was hot. I didn't overthink it.
In regard to sex/gender, yes, I absolutely subscribe to binary logic ~ along with biology and sciences in general.

However people choose to live their lives is up to them. As long as it's between consenting adults, and not affecting or harming children in any way, I really don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela

Gayness or straightness depends upon behavior and a complex set of emotional conditions.
It is indeed a spectrum.

Sex does not depend on behavior. It is a primordial condition identifiable at birth, NOT ASSIGNED.
It is indeed binary in nature.

Gender is a linguistic term that TransActivists apply to humans as a proxy for Sex in order to accomplish the impossible.
It is no more than a clever act of misdirection.
+1

Old 09-02-2020, 10:10 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,759,184 times
You like what you like. I wouldn’t worry about what makes you “gay” or not. If you like it, flow with it. As mentioned before, I’m lightly bi, and I wouldn’t worry about this.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:49 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,791 posts, read 4,158,299 times
If not gay, some weird orientation or fetish in-between. Hard to dispute that, no matter what mental or verbal gymnastics one uses.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:52 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,940,064 times
In my mind, yes they are gay.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:52 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,402,282 times
I supose that there would be an issue of whether or not the man in question is allowing his brain to run with the illusion that these feminized men are actually women.

If he is, then there could be a physiological response based on the brain responding to what it believes is a woman.

Illusion in sexual attraction is more powerful for the brain and more widely used than we acknowledge in society.

Techniques include makeup, hair highlights, wigs, extensions, high heels, plastic surgery, clothing, etc. Some of that not being acknowledged as conveying the significant illusory effect, which registers at deep and almost unconscious levels of the brain (causing us to not acknowledge the illusion), that it does.

If it is specifically the male traits, softened by the feminization, which arouse the guy then he might be gay. Though, again, he'd want to parse just how much the response is due to the male traits, specifically and the level of arousment apart from that triggered by the femine traits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology