Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 06:00 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,189,012 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I read where a woman had a disagreement with her supervisor. She goes on the internet and tells a coworker she is so upset and angry she could kill him or would like to. Now it was probably just rhetorical but still the coworker friend from another Dept. showed it to her supervisor and guess what?

It was sent to her, their department head. Needless to say, she got fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 05:31 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting. I thought our work speaks for ourselves? I've been in the same profession for 30 plus years, 6 years at this company. And I love what I do now, just as much as when I first started. My passion for what I do reflects in my work, and I've often told about it, without having to make glib comments.

You are most likely correct though...the SMT's love lip service.
Is this a younger generation of people? It seems like they really need a near constant stream of positive reinforcement to get through the day. I found this to be true in my work with the fed.
I feel the same way you do, though. I think it's the age group.

Old 10-23-2022, 06:37 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Your co-workers are showing enthusiasm and a sense of teamwork/support. Enthusiasm and positivity are very important, the CEO and higher-ups want to see that from the staff... they'll be more likely to be promoted and/or be happy on the job (even if their comments are glib).

Yeah...that.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:17 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
A few years ago, I read where a woman had a disagreement with her supervisor. She goes on the internet and tells a coworker she is so upset and angry she could kill him or would like to.

What could possibly go wrong?

Old 10-23-2022, 01:17 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Those brown-nosers aren't adding anything of value to the conversation, just stroking egos.
I see this kind of comment a lot on line, "Love!" "Great job!" "I'll pray for you!" and the original poster thanks each and every one for their kind comments.
I say, "You know, if you moved it 3 inches to the right, you'd save material," and OP never replies.

I would hope that management would be more impressed by comments that show you have thought about the issue and have something to contribute, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them just want to be told they are brilliant.

So it's not that you have zero empathy; you just don't bother with empty comments. That's not going to get you a million facebook friends, but I appreciate your attitude.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:56 PM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
A few years ago, I read where a woman had a disagreement with her supervisor. She goes on the internet and tells a coworker she is so upset and angry she could kill him or would like to. Now it was probably just rhetorical but still the coworker friend from another Dept. showed it to her supervisor and guess what?

She'd have gotten fired where I worked, too. We had two staff in our department who did not get along. One day the one was off work and for whatever reason, sent the other the message "you'd better watch your back" or something like that from her personal email. The woman did not recognize the email, so she sent it to our Inspector General's office, who got our cops to trace it to the other employee. She had almost 20 years in, and she was gone. Threw away good health benefits and a pension in a childish snit.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:59 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
It's the intial meme generation. Look, bright colors, happy....vague go get them team win display and can be generated quickly. Post one quick and go about your day. Butt ikissing complete.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:46 PM

137 posts, read 82,321 times
Most people I know also don't pay much attention to this stuff.

My interpretation of the behaviors you are describing is rather cynical, but to this day I still believe it to be accurate: a good chunk of what you perceive to be vacuous and fake enthusiasm, you perceive as such because it is exactly that. Many people have long understood that these costless gestures can actually go a long way in securing their place in a social environment. So they do it.

The same way you might attend your office's 5@7 events regularly even though there is no one you're particularly interested in that goes there. Or go to some trade shows in your field of expertise. It's a conscious, calculated effort to solidify their social position in their professional environment.

And you'd be surprised how well that works at creating the perception that someone is an important element of the company's life and culture.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:08 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

One thing that is a huge pet peeve for me is how some people interact. It's hard to explain, here are some examples.
So don't read it. Problem solved.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:35 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
It’s called “sucking up”.
And brown nosing. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology