Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 05:02 PM

432 posts, read 359,386 times

Advertisements

...and then there's the occasional manager or boss who looks at all the over-the-top responses from the usual suspects and thinks, "Don't y'all have work you should be doing?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 05:26 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
a bit similar to the very obligatory 'happy birthday' posts on f***b**k which are solicited by a reminder from f***b**k....

who wants obligatory 'happy birthdays'.....not me, but apparently a lot of people

Old 10-21-2022, 05:36 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
It’s called “sucking up”.
Right. Ever heard of jumping onto the bandwagon OP? People do it in order to stay visible...and validated.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:47 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Welcome to the freaking Halloween show that this life is...

Old 10-21-2022, 10:12 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
I've been shocked at the things people would say on internal corporate social media, like Yammer. It's like they have no clue that managers will see what they post and say "what a doofus, I'll never have him in my team".

Old 10-21-2022, 10:20 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
It’s called “sucking up”.
From my work experience coworker observations, some of those replies are for personal attention motives. Part of the brown noser (aka kissazz) industrial complex.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:30 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
My wife and I (yes she laughs at some of these replies when I show her) must be the oddballs, we just don't get it.
I don't think that shows "zero empathy." I think that people should show restraint when telling their story, or for that matter corporate stories. Some is fine, but there can be too much of a good thing.

Old 10-22-2022, 07:20 AM

573 posts, read 260,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Blah, blah, blah....the list just goes on and on. And for every "National yada yada" day that suddenly has become important there is more cringy replies.

My wife and I (yes she laughs at some of these replies when I show her) must be the oddballs, we just don't get it.
A few words come to mind;
  • Smug
  • Sour Puss
  • Arrogant
  • Superior?
  • Reserve
  • 'Old Man....'
  • ?
You ain't goin no-where...~

Humans are emotional...100%. They make decisions based on emotion and back it up with logic.

Why on Earth would i promote YOU over someone with 75% of your talent but with 100% enthusiasm?

NOTE: I don't know you so don't take it personal. Just an observation. I used to work in IT...(holy christ ----BORING). The managers are trying everything they can to generate 'new ideas' and keep it 'not boring.' After doing IT for a few years, i came to the conclusion; I'd rather be 'a Waiter, a Truck driver, a carpenter...ANYTHING ELSE'

Old 10-22-2022, 08:14 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
I used to work in IT...(holy christ ----BORING). The managers are trying everything they can to generate 'new ideas' and keep it 'not boring.' After doing IT for a few years, i came to the conclusion; I'd rather be 'a Waiter, a Truck driver, a carpenter...ANYTHING ELSE'

You should have worked with me. I was employed by a huge defense contractor. Our customer was the US government, specifically the DOD. Our managers made impossible promises to our customers. Then we were told to make a miracle happen. Mandatory weekend work during those times. But at least they bought us lunch It was anything but boring. Oh, the good old days.

Old 10-22-2022, 04:30 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Well, excuse me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Your co-workers are showing enthusiasm and a sense of teamwork/support. Enthusiasm and positivity are very important, the CEO and higher-ups want to see that from the staff... they'll be more likely to be promoted and/or be happy on the job (even if their comments are glib).
It always a great idea to support someone or something emotionally just so one doesn't have to actually support somebody or thing. It is called virtue signaling.

For example, a bus load of "your tired, your poor,” ... “Your huddled masses" arrive in a posh sea side community in the off season, but are told that although there are upwards of 100,000 rooms available, there is no way that these folks can stay there because there just ain't no housing available for them, so "bing-bang-bun" these folks are shipped off to a military base courtesy of the federal government.

Like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology