Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 10:42 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,628,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think you just have a sensitive BS meter. I have the same problem. Can smell insincerity a mile away.

The "positivity police" positively give me a pain.

Another pet peeve is when there's an article or post about a death or accident; I always have questions as to what happened and how it happened. We can all learn from these things, and besides that, I naturally have a morbid curiosity. However, anything other than "Thoughts and prayers!" is immediately slapped down by all and called rude. Do we really need 300 comments all repeating like sheep, "Thoughts and prayers?" Talk about Group Think! I guess I must lack empathy or something, LOL.
Agreed. I think it's a combination of people that suffer FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out), and need to share with others how "supportive" they are, a little of the "kissing up" type of thing, and those that are a bit over emotional with everything, and are truly sincere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 01:04 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,536,471 times
It's called "sucking up to the boss". Nothing new, nothing wrong with it, just part of corporate life.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:57 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think you just have a sensitive BS meter. I have the same problem. Can smell insincerity a mile away.

The "positivity police" positively give me a pain.

Another pet peeve is when there's an article or post about a death or accident; I always have questions as to what happened and how it happened. We can all learn from these things, and besides that, I naturally have a morbid curiosity. However, anything other than "Thoughts and prayers!" is immediately slapped down by all and called rude. Do we really need 300 comments all repeating like sheep, "Thoughts and prayers?" Talk about Group Think! I guess I must lack empathy or something, LOL.
Lol, I have been that way all my life. "But what happened? How did they die?"

When I was in first grade, a classmate's friend died. Nobody told us how, just that she died and she was now living with her grandmother.

All through school I wondered from time to time what happened to that girl's mother, but I never found out.

Decades later I moved back to my hometown to raise my daughter. One of her classmates" mother had been a classmate of mine and the best friend of the girl whose mother died (and who is still in the area). Finally, more than thirty years later, I asked whay happened to "Alice's mother, and I found out that her parents had company over one night. Her mother had grabbed a bite of something and went into the bathroom. She never came out. She choked on whatever she was eating and was dead on the bathroom floor when they finally realized she wasn't coming out and they broke down the door.

But even at work, we would get an "In Memoriam" notice if someone in our agency died, but they didn't give either a cause of death or a picture of the dead person, which would have been helpful. Sometimes you know people by sight but not by name.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:53 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
At my place of work, we have a internal social media page, similar to FB. There are different groups...one for IT, competitors, current projects, collaboration, etc.

One thing that is a huge pet peeve for me is how some people interact. It's hard to explain, here are some examples.

The CEO will post a comment about a newly released product. Then there are the steady stream of people replying to this with messages like "so glad to be a part of this team" or reply with some of our "corporate slogans" or reply to the CEO, by their first name, like they know them on a first person basis. "Thanks "CEO's name" for sharing that, I'm so proud of our team, I'm so happy to be a part of it"

Or if someone posts a legitimate uplifting story of overcoming adversity or something, which I'm fine with. It's always good to hear about how people have become successful, what is cringe worthy though is the steady stream of replies like "oh, thank you for sharing your story" or "you sharing how you've over come adversity is so uplifting and it's made my whole day"

Blah, blah, blah....the list just goes on and on. And for every "National yada yada" day that suddenly has become important there is more cringy replies.

My wife and I (yes she laughs at some of these replies when I show her) must be the oddballs, we just don't get it.
I worked in a very large aerospace engineering company, and I observed this all the time from those who were supposedly on the "fast track". Essentially cheerleaders for the corporate flavor of the day.

To all of us in the trenches, the engineers that were responsible for the success of our product, it was ridiculous. The only question that mattered to us was - can you do your job? Are you there at 2 AM in the morning when SHTF during a critical test? Will you be laser focused for the weeks or months needed to fix that problem? Do you have the knowledge, talent, expertise, aptitude to bring to bear when it is truly needed?

The good news is that in this company, the suck-ups generally only made it to middle management. Key executives were almost always engineers that had fought their way through decades of product development and understood the underlying physics at a very deep level.

Old 10-26-2022, 06:23 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

When I was in first grade, a classmate's friend died. Nobody told us how, just that she died and she was now living with her grandmother.

All through school I wondered from time to time what happened to that girl's mother, but I never found out.

Decades later I moved back to my hometown to raise my daughter. One of her classmates" mother had been a classmate of mine and the best friend of the girl whose mother died (and who is still in the area). Finally, more than thirty years later, I asked whay happened to "Alice's mother, and I found out that her parents had company over one night. Her mother had grabbed a bite of something and went into the bathroom. She never came out. She choked on whatever she was eating and was dead on the bathroom floor when they finally realized she wasn't coming out and they broke down the door.

But even at work, we would get an "In Memoriam" notice if someone in our agency died, but they didn't give either a cause of death or a picture of the dead person, which would have been helpful. Sometimes you know people by sight but not by name.

I like to know the cause of death, too. Maybe I can learn something from their death.

The neighbor girl died when I was in Elementary School. She was not breathing when her mother found her. Although she was resuscitated, she had gone too long without oxygen, and would not have been the same little girl. She died a day or two later. Decades later, my mom asked me if I knew the cause of death. Neither of us did.

After I grew up, a girl in my dad's school (he was Superintendent) died of meningitis. This was scary because she was in band. It was not uncommon for band members to play each other's instruments, and they were worried about other children being infected.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:07 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
At my place of work, we have a internal social media page, similar to FB. There are different groups...one for IT, competitors, current projects, collaboration, etc.

One thing that is a huge pet peeve for me is how some people interact. It's hard to explain, here are some examples.

The CEO will post a comment about a newly released product. Then there are the steady stream of people replying to this with messages like "so glad to be a part of this team" or reply with some of our "corporate slogans" or reply to the CEO, by their first name, like they know them on a first person basis. "Thanks "CEO's name" for sharing that, I'm so proud of our team, I'm so happy to be a part of it"

Or if someone posts a legitimate uplifting story of overcoming adversity or something, which I'm fine with. It's always good to hear about how people have become successful, what is cringe worthy though is the steady stream of replies like "oh, thank you for sharing your story" or "you sharing how you've over come adversity is so uplifting and it's made my whole day"

Blah, blah, blah....the list just goes on and on. And for every "National yada yada" day that suddenly has become important there is more cringy replies.

My wife and I (yes she laughs at some of these replies when I show her) must be the oddballs, we just don't get it.
I totally agree with you that the brown-nosing (calling it what it is) is absolutely nauseating to partake in. However, when you have an opportunity to be in front of others in person or on Zoom, your work needs to be top notch if you aren’t going to participate in the brown nose fest. That’s the time to show your buy-in to the mission and put it on paper who you are as an employee. In my experience, that’s the best way to overcome and defeat brownnosers.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:14 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm a Millennial and this would surprise me. What I usually hear about us is the opposite, that we put mental health and work-life balance first, and don't place unreasonable demands on ourselves to feel "connected" to a corporation that doesn't give a damn about us.

The tradeoff there is, I would expect that Millennial-helmed companies would have lower productivity on average, and more dead-weight employees on the payroll.
I agree with you. I work in a remote role and community is not something that is held highly in that role. However, I do things like work OT and volunteer for projects because my company is actually receptive to my life outside my job. They really proactively look out for my department by giving us a lot of comp time on top of a great compensation package. At a job that most burn out in no later than 3 years at, that is everything and beats a “community” workplace by a mile.

Old 10-26-2022, 10:49 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Isn't it the nature of the beast, though? It has always been a concern for me how corporations and bureaucracies seem to bring out the best and worst in us and how our motives and psychological tendencies inevitably sift us out into the hierarchal levels in spite of ourselves. It's good to see people thinking about how they fit emotionally into the work they have chosen. Crucial, even, for our own well-being.

It boils down to personal values. Some people can't/won't compromise their values system to make a buck and others will do whatever it takes to be on top. Is one superior to the other? It's hard to judge. The bottom line is maintaining a style that keeps you in optimum physical and mental health. That is where your potential to do your best is anchored.

It used to make me feel discouraged when I began to notice how institutions function psychologically. But maybe it's a necessary evil? There's a place for every personality style and people who lean in the sociopathic direction are built for leadership. That isn't always evil.

Middle management are well suited to their jobs because they bring that element of heart to work with them and are the perfect buffers and ambassadors between the monolith and the consumer. If you're going to survive emotionally in the heart of the beast it's a good idea to caste (An accidental pun!) yourself in a positive light and shine there.

In other words, do your job but don't judge yourself by anyone's standards but your own.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:23 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Around the year 2000, I worked with a guy for about three years. He left the company to work somewhere else. Three years after he left, I found out that he died. I only knew because I overheard pretty much everybody whispering about it, but nobody came and told me directly and it felt very weird asking. So to this day, I have no idea what happened. I always assumed it was some kind of accident because he couldn't have been much more than 45 years old.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:10 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:

I don't read that crap.

One of the reasons I cannot work in HR anymore. That bullcrap is annoying the heck out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology