Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 05:36 PM

29,507 posts, read 14,668,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't really think it's generational, but more personality-driven than anything.

The biggest cheerleaders in my company are some of the older Sales folks while most of the younger engineering and support people ignore this stuff. Some types of people have always been more into this 'game' than others. Younger people are just more likely to play the game online while older folks are more likely to play it 'IRL'.

I disagree about it making a huge difference. If you're a higher-up you bound to filter most of this stuff out, especially when it's just comments on your internal chat where it's gonna be like 20 folks making these comments (most of whom you've probably never heard of). You'll need a somewhat more personal avenue to truly get an 'in' with your bosses.

It's not that your work speaks for itself (that's a naive view), but that you need to show off your 'good side' in a way that is more likely to be noticed by those who matter.
I do notice that many of these individuals are in marketing, finance, analysts, etc. Not too many from creative, engineering , or design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 04:21 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
They sound like bots to me.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:38 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,060,186 times
I'm glad I did not have this when I was working. Reading the responses would have taken away from the time I could be doing hands-on work. There is definitely a divide in society. I am on the side that has no interest in jobs that can be performed from home.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:22 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
You are grouches maybe?

Old 10-25-2022, 09:07 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
At my place of work, we have a internal social media page, similar to FB. There are different groups...one for IT, competitors, current projects, collaboration, etc.

One thing that is a huge pet peeve for me is how some people interact. It's hard to explain, here are some examples.

The CEO will post a comment about a newly released product. Then there are the steady stream of people replying to this with messages like "so glad to be a part of this team" or reply with some of our "corporate slogans" or reply to the CEO, by their first name, like they know them on a first person basis. "Thanks "CEO's name" for sharing that, I'm so proud of our team, I'm so happy to be a part of it"

Or if someone posts a legitimate uplifting story of overcoming adversity or something, which I'm fine with. It's always good to hear about how people have become successful, what is cringe worthy though is the steady stream of replies like "oh, thank you for sharing your story" or "you sharing how you've over come adversity is so uplifting and it's made my whole day"

Blah, blah, blah....the list just goes on and on. And for every "National yada yada" day that suddenly has become important there is more cringy replies.

My wife and I (yes she laughs at some of these replies when I show her) must be the oddballs, we just don't get it.
I think you just have a sensitive BS meter. I have the same problem. Can smell insincerity a mile away.

The "positivity police" positively give me a pain.

Another pet peeve is when there's an article or post about a death or accident; I always have questions as to what happened and how it happened. We can all learn from these things, and besides that, I naturally have a morbid curiosity. However, anything other than "Thoughts and prayers!" is immediately slapped down by all and called rude. Do we really need 300 comments all repeating like sheep, "Thoughts and prayers?" Talk about Group Think! I guess I must lack empathy or something, LOL.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:18 AM

19,650 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It's without a doubt the "change" brought on by younger generations. That is obvious, back when we were in the office full time i could see it. Us older people preferred the solitude and quietness of our cubicles (before it changed to open seating), while the younger people preferred to set up their workstations by the Starbucks, ping pong tables, and pool tables.
Hm, how does one concentrate on the work with all the distraction? Especially these days with so many who have "sensory" issues. I would think those on the spectrum would go bonkers in a big room with a lot of other people doing different things and making noise.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:22 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Hm, how does one concentrate on the work with all the distraction? Especially these days with so many who have "sensory" issues. I would think those on the spectrum would go bonkers in a big room with a lot of other people doing different things and making noise.
As an adult with mild ADHD symptoms, for me, being in a quiet room is actually more distracting than being in an environment where there's people and background noise.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:28 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Being visible and engaged is a good strategy in today's workplace, for sure. Your attitude is that of the Gen Xers, who tend to be less committed to their employer than other generations and more circumspect in their workplace interactions.

Millennials, on the other hand, seek recognition and community in the workplace. Now that they are moving into leadership roles in organizations, they are going to foster this kind of culture and you'll see more of it.
I'm a Millennial and this would surprise me. What I usually hear about us is the opposite, that we put mental health and work-life balance first, and don't place unreasonable demands on ourselves to feel "connected" to a corporation that doesn't give a damn about us.

The tradeoff there is, I would expect that Millennial-helmed companies would have lower productivity on average, and more dead-weight employees on the payroll.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
You are grouches maybe?
Lol...yeah that's it !

I just want to thank you for being so bold, and sharing with me your well thought out reply, I'm sure your words of wisdom will help garnish a much more positive outlook on life for myself and my wife. It truly is an incredible thing to see complete strangers so willing to help others, you really are a boon to society.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Completely agreed. And the last three years that the majority of the corporation has been WFA, the proof is in how much work has been getting completed. The SMT has been tracking productivity since WFA has started and it has continually been rising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology