Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 09:48 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
At my place of work, we have a internal social media page, similar to FB. There are different groups...one for IT, competitors, current projects, collaboration, etc.

One thing that is a huge pet peeve for me is how some people interact. It's hard to explain, here are some examples.

The CEO will post a comment about a newly released product. Then there are the steady stream of people replying to this with messages like "so glad to be a part of this team" or reply with some of our "corporate slogans" or reply to the CEO, by their first name, like they know them on a first person basis. "Thanks "CEO's name" for sharing that, I'm so proud of our team, I'm so happy to be a part of it"

Or if someone posts a legitimate uplifting story of overcoming adversity or something, which I'm fine with. It's always good to hear about how people have become successful, what is cringe worthy though is the steady stream of replies like "oh, thank you for sharing your story" or "you sharing how you've over come adversity is so uplifting and it's made my whole day"

Blah, blah, blah....the list just goes on and on. And for every "National yada yada" day that suddenly has become important there is more cringy replies.

My wife and I (yes she laughs at some of these replies when I show her) must be the oddballs, we just don't get it.
I find it hard to believe that you really don't see how these interactions benefit the teams. I was never one to pile on with the commentary either, but I did comment on those occasions where I felt it was warranted. It's not necessary to constantly go on and on, and of course there are those that do. And sure, some of us roll our eyes at that LOL.
But, I think to always be one to "poo poo" the team building and such, is really to be a bit of a downer, and one that is less likely to be thought well of by others.

My two cents...for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 09:55 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I find it hard to believe that you really don't see how these interactions benefit the teams. I was never one to pile on with the commentary either, but I did comment on those occasions where I felt it was warranted. I think to always be one to "poo poo" the team building and such, is really to be a bit of a downer, and one that is less likely to be thought well of by others. My two cents...for what it's worth.
I kind of agree, you don't have to go out of your way to be pleasant and collegial to your colleagues. Maybe it's just me, but I don't hate my colleagues and think they're all idiots, and the occasional happy hour or "great job on the presentation!" slack message doesn't hurt (and might actually help) your workplace culture.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:26 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Quote:
At my place of work, we have a internal social media page, similar to FB. There are different groups...one for IT, competitors, current projects, collaboration, etc.

One thing that is a huge pet peeve for me is how some people interact. It's hard to explain, here are some examples.

The CEO will post a comment about a newly released product. Then there are the steady stream of people replying to this with messages like "so glad to be a part of this team" or reply with some of our "corporate slogans" or reply to the CEO, by their first name, like they know them on a first person basis. "Thanks "CEO's name" for sharing that, I'm so proud of our team, I'm so happy to be a part of it"

Or if someone posts a legitimate uplifting story of overcoming adversity or something, which I'm fine with. It's always good to hear about how people have become successful, what is cringe worthy though is the steady stream of replies like "oh, thank you for sharing your story" or "you sharing how you've over come adversity is so uplifting and it's made my whole day"

Blah, blah, blah....the list just goes on and on. And for every "National yada yada" day that suddenly has become important there is more cringy replies.

My wife and I (yes she laughs at some of these replies when I show her) must be the oddballs, we just don't get it.
Some people would call you an a-hole for this but I know exactly what you're talking about and find it just as cringe worthy. I wish they would just hit the like button and keep it moving. I can't stand unnecessary praise and overextension.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:04 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
We have more than a generation of employees that are absorbed by the screen. They see a steady stream of drivel with little substance or verification. The scientific method is absent in that culture.

Kudos to Scarabchuck.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:45 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Some people would call you an a-hole for this but I know exactly what you're talking about and find it just as cringe worthy. I wish they would just hit the like button and keep it moving. I can't stand unnecessary praise and overextension.
I don't think anyone thinks OP is an *******, just that his generation is being phased out by the next one that values these sorts of interactions. They will continue with or without the OP, and may even become the reason for his early professional demise as the millennials swarm into leadership positions and figure out he doesn't fit in anymore. Just like the Boomers did to the Silent and Greatest generations a few decades before.

Plus c'est change...

Old 10-24-2022, 01:50 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,050,754 times
Quote:

I'm the same as you. What you speak of is 95% of all replies on Linkedin.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:01 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
Quote:

People that are socially insecure feel the need to involve themselves at every opportunity so they don't feel left out. Let them have their ray of sunshine in someone else's parade. It doesn't cost anything, and one day you may feel the need to be a part of something that is not related to you.

Old 10-24-2022, 03:28 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I find it hard to believe that you really don't see how these interactions benefit the teams. I was never one to pile on with the commentary either, but I did comment on those occasions where I felt it was warranted. It's not necessary to constantly go on and on, and of course there are those that do. And sure, some of us roll our eyes at that LOL.
But, I think to always be one to "poo poo" the team building and such, is really to be a bit of a downer, and one that is less likely to be thought well of by others.

My two cents...for what it's worth.
Interesting. I actually just returned from a team building meeting. It was quite productive, and enjoyable. There was none of the mindless babble that i described , there. Just worth while collaboration.

FWIW, i am a well respected, well liked designer in my group. Now i will say , out of the 11 people in the group, the majority of us are all 40 plus. So, we all have a similar mindset.

Old 10-24-2022, 03:35 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't think anyone thinks OP is an *******, just that his generation is being phased out by the next one that values these sorts of interactions. They will continue with or without the OP, and may even become the reason for his early professional demise as the millennials swarm into leadership positions and figure out he doesn't fit in anymore. Just like the Boomers did to the Silent and Greatest generations a few decades before.

Plus c'est change...
It's without a doubt the "change" brought on by younger generations. That is obvious, back when we were in the office full time i could see it. Us older people preferred the solitude and quietness of our cubicles (before it changed to open seating), while the younger people preferred to set up their workstations by the Starbucks, ping pong tables, and pool tables.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:18 PM

6,811 posts, read 4,250,471 times
I don't really think it's generational, but more personality-driven than anything.

The biggest cheerleaders in my company are some of the older Sales folks while most of the younger engineering and support people ignore this stuff. Some types of people have always been more into this 'game' than others. Younger people are just more likely to play the game online while older folks are more likely to play it 'IRL'.

I disagree about it making a huge difference. If you're a higher-up you bound to filter most of this stuff out, especially when it's just comments on your internal chat where it's gonna be like 20 folks making these comments (most of whom you've probably never heard of). You'll need a somewhat more personal avenue to truly get an 'in' with your bosses.

It's not that your work speaks for itself (that's a naive view), but that you need to show off your 'good side' in a way that is more likely to be noticed by those who matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology