Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 02:40 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I feel that way too, although I didn't used to. I've become more germophobic in the past few years, understandably. As for beets, I like them now but no way would I touch them when I was younger. Sardines, anchovies.... ugh. I'll eat sardines now (Omegas) but nope on anchovies. And to think I used to add raw eggs to smoothies before we learned that it's not always advisable. (Accent on not always.)
I like beets, and I’m ok with anchovies chopped up in Caesar salad. Caesar salad is a double whammy of raw egg and anchovies, but so worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 02:43 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
I'm ok with anchovies and sardines...but sardines in small amounts. They're SOOO salty.

Old 11-03-2022, 03:14 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
Chitterlings. Stink like hell and people put ketchup on them. Disgusting! They have squirrel brains in a can and a guy at my office ate some with milk poured over it I almost barfed.
Oh now that takes the prize so far!

Old 11-03-2022, 03:24 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Chitterlings. Stink like hell and people put ketchup on them. Disgusting! They have squirrel brains in a can and a guy at my office ate some with milk poured over it I almost barfed.
Chitlin's!!

lol!

This is a very silly thing, I'm one of the most outspoken defenders of picky eating and have an intense case of restrictive eating...but as a kid I remember LOVING what my family referred to as, "chitlin's". If offered one, hopefully away from wherever they were cooked (the smell, god) I would taste it to see if I could recall the enjoyment I had of them as a child.

I've tried cooked beef tongue and didn't hate it. Moose meat. Elk, and duck. Didn't hate it. Love bison! Somehow, of all things I'm more flexible for cooked meats than so many other things. Why? I don't know. I can't recall having ever tried liver but if offered it, I think I would. Don't think I would expect to like it, but I don't know... Not overly eager to seek out a chance, though. I am unwilling to try eating insects, but I saw a documentary where someone cooked a skewered tarantula over a fire and pulled bits of white meat out of its legs, and to me it looked like cooked chicken meat...I would be willing to taste that, but again, don't know that I'd expect to like it.

I think that my #1 food "phobia" (I guess?) is plants with fibrous, crunchy plant texture. Onions, celery, leafy green anything. I actually enjoy the flavor of onions (like cooked into a roast), but the texture is NO. Biting into that gives me the heebie jeebies. Like the idea of chewing tinfoil, nails on a chalkboard kind of reaction.

I don't like seafood because of the fishy smell that almost all of it has. I don't like alcohol even in drinks where others swear it can't be detected...I can detect it. And it tastes like something rotten, something bad. Poison.

I hate the flavor and smell of most condiments, and even feel disgusted if I accidentally get something like ketchup, mustard or mayo on my hand.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:37 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Actual phobias?

None.

Preferences?

Of course, though I've never been a picky eater per se.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-03-2022 at 06:46 PM..

Old 11-04-2022, 07:35 AM

I think beef tongue is pretty yummy actually. It's so tender! I've often thought if it was sliced up, and the skin peeled off, and you didn't tell people what they were eating...people would like it. LOL

Escargot...I had that once, and I liked it. To me, if you like clams, mussels, and scallops, you'll like snails. (shrugging shoulders)

And oh my goodness, how I love love love fresh, raw oysters! I like to smell them before I eat them...they smell like the ocean. I eat mine with some lemon juice, and a tiny amount of horseradish.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:00 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I think beef tongue is pretty yummy actually. It's so tender! I've often thought if it was sliced up, and the skin peeled off, and you didn't tell people what they were eating...people would like it. LOL

Escargot...I had that once, and I liked it. To me, if you like clams, mussels, and scallops, you'll like snails. (shrugging shoulders)

And oh my goodness, how I love love love fresh, raw oysters! I like to smell them before I eat them...they smell like the ocean. I eat mine with some lemon juice, and a tiny amount of horseradish.
My daughter tries, and fails, to be a vegan. She has not eaten any meat or poultry in about eight years, very occasionally has salmon, but of all the weirdo things for a vegetarian to like, she loves oysters.

I have never tried them because I just can't get past the way they look. I'm gagging thinking about them as I type this, lol. But two weeks ago, she came up and we had a weekend on Toronto. She wanted to take me out for dinner and we ended up at a place that has Oyster House in the name. I love seafood...but not THAT. She got this selection of a dozen Canadian oysters as her main meal. She loves the ugly things. I am afraid that if I ate one, it would come right back up.

We shared an appetizer platter of three different smoked salmons, and I had scallops.

I tried escargot years ago. That was enough. Felt as if it was still alive and moving in my mouth. When you think about it, somebody had to be pretty damn hungry to look at a snail and decide it might be edible with some butter and garlic on it.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:03 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
ACK, why did I have to read about squirrel brains. I had no idea.

Yup, neighbor used to cook chitlins. They smell like poop is boiling on the stove. I think that's something you have to grow up eating or you will have a hard time trying. I love most other soul food, but nah, not them.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:03 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter tries, and fails, to be a vegan. She has not eaten any meat or poultry in about eight years, very occasionally has salmon, but of all the weirdo things for a vegetarian to like, she loves oysters.

I have never tried them because I just can't get past the way they look. I'm gagging thinking about them as I type this, lol. But two weeks ago, she came up and we had a weekend on Toronto. She wanted to take me out for dinner and we ended up at a place that has Oyster House in the name. I love seafood...but not THAT. She got this selection of a dozen Canadian oysters as her main meal. She loves the ugly things. I am afraid that if I ate one, it would come right back up.

We shared an appetizer platter of three different smoked salmons, and I had scallops.

I tried escargot years ago. That was enough. Felt as if it was still alive and moving in my mouth. When you think about it, somebody had to be pretty damn hungry to look at a snail and decide it might be edible with some butter and garlic on it.
You're reminding me of when I visited Connecticut, where my dad is from. I met a guy who took me on a date to a seaside restaurant. I ordered a dozen oysters on the shell. I didn't realize it would be raw. Now, this was back in 1974 so sushi hadn't become a thing yet. I couldn't eat it. I was so embarrassed and apologized profusely to the waitresses explaining I'm from California and never saw a raw oyster in my life. (My parents were not adventurous eaters, nor did we ever eat out.) They were great about it, took it back and cooked it for me.

Both of my kids tried being vegetarian. It only lasted a while. My son was vegan for a while, but finally went back to cheese.

Escargot? Hell no. Never even knew they could feel like they are still alive

Old 11-04-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

You know...the first time I ever ate an oyster was on a dare. LOL I was surprised that I liked them. A lot. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology