Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 05:33 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, Ms. Elnina. Thanks to this website, I have learned how to get rid of them. Put Bay leaves in the flour. Someone posted that over in the food forum yrs. ago. I took their advice, and it works!

*Yes, I put them in the cereals and sugar too. It really does work.
Doesn't the sugar taste a bit off? Bay leaves leave strong scent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 08:17 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Liver, Tongue, Tripe, Blood Sausage, Okra, Snails, Shrimp (allergic), Duck, raw fish. I actually like Spam.
I have eaten everything you listed, and okra is the one that stands out as "icky." I have never had it fried, however., and I might like it that way. It was always served slimy. If I am going to eat something even remotely slimy, it will be natto, but that's super nutritious and we love it.

Edit: According to my mother, as a toddler, I caught a hairy caterpillar, squished it and ate it. That must have been very slimy.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:14 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I cracked up over the report of canned squirrel brains. What a wonderful prank, worthy of "Calvin and Hobbs."

Did you ever consider the size of a squirrel brain, the effort needed to extract it, the idea of having multiple ones in a can? I did a search in hopes of finding a can to send to my local politicians and came up empty handed... as is often the case with politicians and election year promises.

Escargot are lovely. I used to order them every time I went to Steak and Ale. Liver mostly gets a bad rep from people who have issues with iron, and cooks who think liver is raw shoe leather. Kidneys can taste of pee unless properly cleaned.

Tripe and colostrum are things I cannot eat, but because of a body reaction. Ethics don't allow me to eat anything still alive that isn't vegetable or fungal.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:53 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,553,488 times
Ms. Elnina, sorry about that. You're right. I put a Vanilla bean pod in the sugar. Duh!
Yes, you can smell the Bay leaf when opening the flour and the rice, but the whiff of scent goes away within a few seconds.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:36 AM

I still think that lots depends on the cook's skills and recipe. I had delicious stews made of hearts and lungs. Kidneys are great when properly prepared. Same with liver. Oxtail and pigs tail is very tasty. I don't care for chicken or pigs feet. There is not much to eat. Tripe in menudo kind of soup... Yum!
Eel is very tasty - i like it smoked. Escargots - we used to get them from our garden. They were kept in a net, fed special food, so they could defecate and get clean from the inside out. Sauteed in garlic butter - a great addition to any garden salad.
Not sure why people dislike food in aspic. Aspic in most cases is just concentrated broth. So, what's the difference? I love meats and fish in aspic!! Sadly, in Texas, it's only sold in specialty deli stores or made at home.
Tongue is very tasty, tender and lean meat. Just cook it long enough in a broth with plenty of aromatic veggies, remove the skin and serve with tasty gravy. Great for tacos! I like it as cold cut also.
Pork or veal brain cooked then sauteed with onions and eggs? Divine! Assuming they are prepared right.
Too bad, used to be very common breakfast dish, but has seen a sharp drop in popularity.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
I could eat smoked eel, and I think I could eat garlic butter cooked snails that are farm-raised.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:58 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
When I was young and my family butchered a hog, my mother would cook the hog brains and eggs scrambled together. On the day they did the butchering, they'd fry fresh cracklins which were just chunks of skin with the attached thick layer of fat. Nothing tastes quite like a hunk of deep fried pure fat. Been over 30 years since I stopped eating farm animals but I still remember how tasty both of those were.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:05 AM

Wow I'm learning a lot in this thread!

Old 11-05-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Wow I'm learning a lot in this thread!
I think it's easier to accept some foods when person stop focusing on the name and location. Otherwise eating eggs should be considered gross too

Just close your eyes (if that helps) and give it a try. Maybe even more than one bite - because sometimes the first bite is too connected to anxiety and mental denial.
First try the texture and flavor, then focus on the look and smell. Give it a good chew. Try to savor every bit of the product and seasonings.
Think about that many "weird" foods are eaten in other civilized Western cultures, so they aren't some sort of offal considered to feed only pets.
Once that is mentally accepted, it's easier to move into less known, local or ethnic foods that are not less delicious.
Not saying that you will find everything up your palate, but you should at least give it a try (discreet spit out is always an option, although you're not going to "die" if you swallow it
Eliminating so many food options just because they have weird names, look or even smell (when not prepared) it's just silly in my opinion.

BTW:
Food samplers and buffet's are great places to try something new. One can also ask in a restaurant for a little sample to try. Most places are more than happy to oblige.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:13 AM

That is good advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology