Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 11:44 PM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
When I was a kid, spaghetti made me think of worms, so I didn't want to eat it.

Of course, I outgrew that... and yet, if I want to make pasta, I choose a less-messy,
more fork-friendly shape... like corkscrews, lanterns or wagon wheels.
Same here! I would stare at them until I imagined them moving, and then I couldn't eat any of it.

Old 11-06-2022, 06:46 AM

11,080 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
When I was a kid, spaghetti made me think of worms, so I didn't want to eat it.

Of course, I outgrew that... and yet, if I want to make pasta, I choose a less-messy,
more fork-friendly shape... like corkscrews, lanterns or wagon wheels.
Or bowties!

You're reminding me that I wrote on another thread about a haunted house Halloween party way back when I was in 7th grade at church. They had a bowl of spaghetti and told us it was intestines when we put our hands in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Or bowties!

You're reminding me that I wrote on another thread about a haunted house Halloween party way back when I was in 7th grade at church. They had a bowl of spaghetti and told us it was intestines when we put our hands in there.
I love bowties/farfalle. They are just chewy and good with butter., salt and pepper.

Carbs and fat, the cornerstone of a fine American meal.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:29 AM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I love bowties/farfalle. They are just chewy and good with butter., salt and pepper.
Oh no, bowties are the worst pasta. The frilly ends are soft when the center is still hard and chewy, yuck!

Old 11-06-2022, 08:35 AM

11,080 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Hmmmm, I baked them into my casserole last week, they turned out ok, but I imagine if you just boiled them that would happen.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh no, bowties are the worst pasta. The frilly ends are soft when the center is still hard and chewy, yuck!
Yeah, you have to make sure that center is cooked! I like it because the shape holds the butter (or sauce) on it well.

Old 11-06-2022, 05:25 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Depends somewhat on brand. I find that Barilla cooks well. You can boil it enough so the center is cooked but the ends are not soggy. Love me some bowties!

Old 11-06-2022, 09:57 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I knew a woman who had a fear of mustard. No joke. A friend of mine practices many types of therapists on people and horses (occasional dog). She worked with the woman using EFT (tapping). As far as I know it worked!

^^^ Definitely a thing! I know a guy who is terrified of mustard. Seriously.

The worst food ever: Swedish surströmming! Fermented herring in a can. The fish isn't ready to be served until the can bulges with gases. And when the gasses and fish are let out, it is the gaggiest, most nauseating smell in the entire world (outside of a serial killer's body parts trophy basement, I suppose). I was served the damn fish on a lovely summer's day in Sweden, and I just couldn't be gracious about it. No thanks, not in a million years...

Foods I cannot eat: Runny eggs, celery, cilantro, head cheese, tripe. Oh, and rotten food of any kind (including some cheeses)...
Foods I will not eat: Pets, endangered animals, and baby animals. The baby animal food prohibition came to me one dinner where I was served lamb. All of a sudden I couldn't. The thought of the short life, and the trusting eyes of baby animals led to the slaughter. The thought still shakes me up. No lambs, no calves/veal, no baby pigs.

But sometimes I think we have to make compromises--when someone we care about has spent money and worked hard to cook up a special meal. Then we have to weigh our principles against hurting someone we love. My dad once served us a special dinner of kangaroo, imported by their local grocery store. I ate it, to please him. Poor roo.

Old 11-07-2022, 04:45 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Oh dear. I've always fed organ meats to my dogs: chicken gizzards, livers and hearts. I don't think I could eat gizzards. Well, there's always a first time.... which I hope never comes!!
You used to be able to get an order of half and half gizzards and livers at KFC. Might still be able to.

Old 11-07-2022, 05:48 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
I don't like slimy gelatinous things...when I was a kid it was poached eggs. We had them for some Sunday breakfast and I just couldn't eat it....so of course I was made to sit there until I did. I figured I'd just do it to get out of there but after a couple bites of cold egg I threw up all over the table, with my parents and sister sitting there. Usually I'd have gotten in trouble for THAT in itself but not that time - and I never had to eat poached eggs again.

Unfortunately, my developmentally delayed sister picked up the habit and learned to make herself sick on cue - that was not a good thing. Anyway, I still don't like slimy eggs, slimy okra, oatmeal. I'm fine with beef and chicken liver/s, yogurt, and "soft" scrambled eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology