Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 02:10 PM

11,080 posts, read 6,893,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Seriously.

And a big part of showing remorse, is finding it within yourself to contemplate the harm you've done, and give more of a damn about your victim's situation than your own.

If one has a sincere wish to make amends, after making an apology that acknowledges that you understand what you did wrong, and why it was wrong...and if one simply finds oneself at a loss on what to do beyond saying sorry, then one can always ask, "How can I make amends for what I have done?"

If the victim of the abuse is not willing to engage and tell you, then you should ask friends, mentors, anyone around you...crowd source some ideas, and then put in the work.

It's never really that the actions of a young and unwise person should ruin the rest of their lives. It's a question of whether you are still that same person, or you aren't. And a lot of people grow up with no real accountability and don't see why harm they've done is any kind of a big deal, so in some cases, yeah, a reckoning is not only in order, it's overdue.
Yeah, I know one of those. Abuse, defamation, parental alienation, has always lead a charmed life with a lucrative career. Ask me if I'm going to forgive. No. The person will never admit to any wrongdoing and that's not ok. It's not ok to destroy someone else's life and get away with it but it happens all the time. It's pervasive.

But you know what? I lead a happy life in spite of all that, except when I get triggered, which is less and less as time goes on. I laugh, I make friends, I read about and do interesting things, I go on with my interesting life such as it has been and is now, and I'm not going to waste my time ever thinking about that mean-spirited person and how they're never going to be sorry or apologize. My friends and I back in our 20's when we were new age, used to say "don't do anything, the lords of karma will take care of them" now I say "it's up to God", and he'll get his. But maybe he won't. We don't know. Same with this abusive dude in the story.

I really feel for the little kid inside that hockey player. I had that too, growing up at school, but not nearly as bad as he did.

Forgiveness is an incremental, roller coaster thing. It's up and down, in and out, where one has to use WILL in order to forgive. It's an act of WILL. But it fluctuates. Even if this once little kid who is now an adult gets support for his pain and his point of view and feelings, it doesn't take away the damage that was done. One can only deal with it the best they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 03:00 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
You know...you didn't really say it, but I think it's implied...we don't always get to see justice play out. As adults, we learn that. "We don't always get to see karma, or justice play out." We make peace with that in whatever ways we can. I'm mostly "That's between them and God."

But I think we all appreciate seeing justice play out, when and if it DOES play out. Who among us hasn't gloated a little bit, seeing the car that just raced through the intersection almost killing you, get stopped by a cop a mile or so down the road? Or the ex who treated you terribly and broke your heart, leading a jackass life that makes you glad you're not with that person anymore?

THIS situation is justice being played out.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:06 PM

735 posts, read 399,869 times
I try to forgive anyone and everyone for every bad thing they have done no matter how terrible.Although I am not good at it.I think everything should be forgivable but I think justice should still be served by the proper channels like the justice system.

Old 11-19-2022, 08:45 AM

11,080 posts, read 6,893,394 times
^^ Agree with all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology