Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 07:12 PM

1,044 posts, read 689,005 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Boston area and I'm a Bruins fan, so this particular story piqued my interest:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ns/8314807001/

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/07/11347...tract-bullying

I don't think anyone can defend what Mitchel Miller did to this kid, but I have a few questions that we should discuss:

1. Can Miller ever be forgiven?
2. Does Miller's age at the time of the crime make a difference?
3. What can Miller do to be forgiven?
4. Regardless of whether he apologizes or not, should he ever be allowed to play professional sports?

Feel free to expand on this topic and discuss other issues related to forgiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 01:03 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I'm from the Boston area and I'm a Bruins fan, so this particular story piqued my interest:

I don't think anyone can defend what Mitchel Miller did to this kid, but I have a few questions that we should discuss:

4. Regardless of whether he apologizes or not, should he ever be allowed to play professional sports?

Feel free to expand on this topic and discuss other issues related to forgiveness.
#1 he didn't do it to you. Its up to the parent and boy.
#2 pretty stupid to fire someone for something they did in junior high. If everyone got fired for stupid stuff they did in junior high, none of us would be employed.

Its all part of the insane puritanical, judgmental society we have become. The whole thing is flat out nuts. People seem to fail to understand that people, including themselves, make mistakes. And kids make lots of mistakes.

If the boy and parent don't forgive him, fine, but you can't expect forgiveness if you refuse to give it yourself.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:56 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
My measure is if the burden of resentment weighs more heavily than forgiveness I'd better get busy or I'll make myself ill. Carrying anger is bad for body, mind and spirit.

Forgiveness isn't for the other person though they may benefit from it. It's to keep me free of unwanted feelings, from avoiding eye contact, from having to talk to someone. It's a freedom I give myself.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:05 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
If choosing not to forgive helps a person move forward or choosing to forgive helps them then either choice is acceptable , it’s really not something I’d judge others should or shouldn’t do. Apologizing is unconditional, people are not owed forgiveness just because they apologized.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:16 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times
“One should forgive, under any injury,” says the Mahabharata. “It hath been said that the continuation of the species is due to man’s being forgiving. Forgiveness is holiness; by forgiveness the universe is held together. Forgiveness is the might of the mighty; forgiveness is sacrifice; forgiveness is quiet of mind. Forgiveness and gentleness are the qualities of the Self-possessed. They represent eternal virtue.”

I like this quote very much.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:35 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:

No. He lied publicly and stated that the bullying was a one-time event. It wasn't. It was years-long.

Quote:
Not to me.

Quote:
Publicly donate his salary to his victim, if he's ever allowed into the NHL.

Quote:
That's up to the NHL commissioner, isn't it?

Old 11-11-2022, 10:16 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No. He lied publicly and stated that the bullying was a one-time event. It wasn't. It was years-long.

Not to me.

Publicly donate his salary to his victim, if he's ever allowed into the NHL.

That's up to the NHL commissioner, isn't it?
Would you feel the same way if the victim was not special needs?
Would you feel the same way if the victim was white?

Old 11-11-2022, 10:25 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:

In this situation if I were the teams GM, Miller would NEVER play for my team. The age is irrelevant to me. You purposefully targeted and tortured someone who is in not at an equal intellectual capacity to give you a fair fight. That is called a coward where I’m from. Miller is allowed to play professionally and I as a fan am allowed to have a low opinion of any franchise that offers him employment. Hence which will be the reason Miller can kiss a pro career goodbye as that’s the way it should be IMO.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:28 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Would you feel the same way if the victim was not special needs?
Would you feel the same way if the victim was white?

Since I have no clue on the race of the bully or mental health status of the person being bullied I’d say for me it doesn’t make a heap of difference . If someone lies about their past behaviour that is an indication of who they are now and doesn’t speak well of their character. As to whether they should be forgiven that is up to the victim and it is not something owed to the perpetrator.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:15 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
In this situation if I were the teams GM, Miller would NEVER play for my team. The age is irrelevant to me. You purposefully targeted and tortured someone who is in not at an equal intellectual capacity to give you a fair fight. That is called a coward where I’m from. Miller is allowed to play professionally and I as a fan am allowed to have a low opinion of any franchise that offers him employment. Hence which will be the reason Miller can kiss a pro career goodbye as that’s the way it should be IMO.
There are professionals is a number of sports who have done worse and did it in college or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology