Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 04:11 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,774 times

Advertisements

You know what we say in the rooms...."Stinking thinking'. You got to avoid it. Do you have a sponser? If not get one, that is you life line. I agree with the store all hiring. All those package delivery places need people to. You could make a good living there. Get your foot in the door and play your cards right.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:13 PM

984 posts, read 442,799 times
Is there a Goodwill near you? They can help you with your resume and give you tips on getting a job. They also hire people, so if they're hiring, you might get a job there, even.

Good for you for getting sober and staying sober for 6 months! That's something to be proud of.

Also, antidepressants take 4-6 weeks to really start kicking in, so keep on taking the pills as prescribed and try to do so for at least 6 weeks, preferably a couple months before you give up on them. Are you able to get counseling as well?

Old 11-10-2022, 04:23 PM

30 posts, read 11,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Stores are hiring for the holidays now. You just need to apply. You will get on the job training - don't expect it to be great or detailed - but they will train you.

You've got to start somewhere. Just start doing online applications. Go to the stores' websites, find the available jobs and start applying.
Thats what I have been doing for the last 2 months I get interviews but its either I don't get hired, don't have the equipment or its too far.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:26 PM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
Do you live near a bus route? if not, can you find a shelter that's near a bus route, so maybe you can get a bus to work. Don't give up.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
You know what we say in the rooms...."Stinking thinking'. You got to avoid it. Do you have a sponser? If not get one, that is you life line. I agree with the store all hiring. All those package delivery places need people to. You could make a good living there. Get your foot in the door and play your cards right.
I havent been enirely honest but this isn't my first go around with this. I had 22 months clean the first time and ****ed it up, people, places and things. I have been through the steps and I'm not trying to do that again. With that said I had a job with ups handling packages but no money for steel toed boots so I couldnt take it.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Is there a Goodwill near you? They can help you with your resume and give you tips on getting a job. They also hire people, so if they're hiring, you might get a job there, even.

Good for you for getting sober and staying sober for 6 months! That's something to be proud of.

Also, antidepressants take 4-6 weeks to really start kicking in, so keep on taking the pills as prescribed and try to do so for at least 6 weeks, preferably a couple months before you give up on them. Are you able to get counseling as well?
I have sent in three applications to goodwill with no response.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Do you live near a bus route? if not, can you find a shelter that's near a bus route, so maybe you can get a bus to work. Don't give up.
There are buses here but they only travel in town and most of these jobs are just outside of town. What does a social worker do?

Old 11-10-2022, 04:42 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Do you have a local Salvation Army chapter? They may be able to help you. They can refer you to others who may be able to help you find a job and a suitable place to live. Also, with the holidays approaching, the Salvation Army in my area already has its bell ringers out to collect donations. Some of the bell ringers are volunteers, but the S.A. pays others who fill in the gaps.

It won't hurt to contact the S.A. and tell them your story. They are very compassionate and have a lot of connections.

You're six months sober. Even though you fell off the wagon before, you still have a good start and can make it stick this time. Best of luck to you.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Do you have a local Salvation Army chapter? They may be able to help you. They can refer you to others who may be able to help you find a job and a suitable place to live. Also, with the holidays approaching, the Salvation Army in my area already has its bell ringers out to collect donations. Some of the bell ringers are volunteers, but the S.A. pays others who fill in the gaps.

It won't hurt to contact the S.A. and tell them your story. They are very compassionate and have a lot of connections.

You're six months sober. Even though you fell off the wagon before, you still have a good start and can make it stick this time. Best of luck to you.

I'm at the mission right now but they don't help you at all the s.a. isn't too far from here I guess I can try that.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:54 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofoptions View Post
I havent been enirely honest but this isn't my first go around with this. I had 22 months clean the first time and ****ed it up, people, places and things. I have been through the steps and I'm not trying to do that again. With that said I had a job with ups handling packages but no money for steel toed boots so I couldnt take it.
You only need to honest to yourself.

If you got to say a little white lie like these are steel toe, it goes by the honer system. Nobody is there inspecting them and if they do you tell them you will get them soon. With all the BS that people do and say day in and out. They are not concerned with that, just have good attendance and be on time. If they offer you Over time take it. Those are the people they want to keep if they have room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology