Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 02:57 PM

30 posts, read 11,636 times

Advertisements

A little backstory on me I grew up in an abusive home my mom also neglected me. I left home at 14 and started selling drugs which I have done most my life without catching a felony. Later in my early thirtys I got addicted to drugs and had to go rehab. After getting out of rehab I decided change areas so I wouldn't relapse.

I ended up going to a sober living that was year long program that offered vocational training. It was 700 to for the first month and for the next eight and a half you work and they take your whole check, the last two and half months you keep your money. I was skeptical about them taking my whole check but considered it a fair tradeoff if I left with a skill since I have no work history. The program was a scam there was no vocational training they told you that to get you there because the only way to get the 700 back is to finish the program.

I left there and went to a homeless shelter which is where I'm at now the problem is that I can only be here for 2 months then I have to leave. I have had no success with fast food and the other jobs I cant get to. I have been suicidal was close to blowing my brains out but called the suicide hotline instead. They told me to go to the hospital which I did and spent a weekbin the bhu. They put me on depression meds which to be honest don't work, the doctor was scared to let me leave because he knew as well as I did that this isn't something you can cure with a pill.

Its been two weeks and nothing has changed at this point I don't know what else to do. I get that me not having any work experience is a red flag but how else can I get some if I don't have the oppurtunity?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-10-2022 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Merged 2 threads on same topic.

Old 11-10-2022, 03:10 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,487 times
What state do you live in? I believe you need to build a support network, you may think you are alone but you are not. Go to a local AA or NA meeting. How long have you been sober? It is going to take some time and work but you can and will be in a better place if you accept that mistakes you made are behind you and be grateful for the things you do have.

Old 11-10-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
What state do you live in? I believe you need to build a support network, you may think you are alone but you are not. Go to a local AA or NA meeting. How long have you been sober? It is going to take some time and work but you can and will be in a better place if you accept that mistakes you made are behind you and be grateful for the things you do have.
I go to NA, AA, and HA meetings pretty much everyday. To be honest I don't have anything and I'm about be homeless for real. I live in WV by the way and I have six months clean today.

Old 11-10-2022, 03:42 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times
I suggest this often.

Sign up with the local temp agencies in your area. Often times, companies need low-skills employees for production, warehouse and assembly line jobs. It's a good way to get experience, and show people you can show up on time and be dependable.

Old 11-10-2022, 03:46 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofoptions View Post
I go to NA, AA, and HA meetings pretty much everyday. To be honest I don't have anything and I'm about be homeless for real. I live in WV by the way and I have six months clean today.
Congrats on the six months. Not trying to blow smoke but I bet we both know people who can't make six days. So you got a good foundation to build on.

If it were me, I would still be going to meeting maybe even doubling up.

This is a rich country and if a person needs a hand up, that person needs to reach. Go talk to the people in the meeting and see if someone can hook you up with a social worker that help you. I would not be here if people did not help me. Now I pay it forward, and I hope the same for you.

Old 11-10-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Congrats on the six months. Not trying to blow smoke but I bet we both know people who can't make six days. So you got a good foundation to build on.

If it were me, I would still be going to meeting maybe even doubling up.

This is a rich country and if a person needs a hand up, that person needs to reach. Go talk to the people in the meeting and see if someone can hook you up with a social worker that help you. I would not be here if people did not help me. Now I pay it forward, and I hope the same for you.
Meetings are important but what I really need is a job because here shortly I will have to leave the shelter. I'm not trying to go to sober living or anything like that without a job which will put me in a bigger hole than I'm already in. Because of my past and my bad experiences so far I don't trust anybody.

Old 11-10-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I suggest this often.

Sign up with the local temp agencies in your area. Often times, companies need low-skills employees for production, warehouse and assembly line jobs. It's a good way to get experience, and show people you can show up on time and be dependable.
I have done that the problem is that all the jobs that have contacted me I have no way to get there.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:00 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofoptions View Post
I have done that the problem is that all the jobs that have contacted me I have no way to get there.

That's tough. Before I had a car, I had to catch a bus to work, can you find a shelter near a bus route? In my case, they had a help line & if I needed to get someplace I did not know the way, you could call & ask them where to change buses. Don't give up. Do you have a social worker to ask for help?

Old 11-10-2022, 04:00 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Stores are hiring for the holidays now. You just need to apply. You will get on the job training - don't expect it to be great or detailed - but they will train you.

You've got to start somewhere. Just start doing online applications. Go to the stores' websites, find the available jobs and start applying.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
That's tough. Before I had a car, I had to catch a bus to work, can you find a shelter near a bus route? In my case, they had a help line & if I needed to get someplace I did not know the way, you could call & ask them where to change buses. Don't give up. Do you have a social worker to ask for help?
There are buses here but they only travel in town and most of these jobs are just outside of town. What does a social worker do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology