Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 09:12 AM

136 posts, read 98,524 times

Advertisements

Apply at fedex ground for package handler at the closest facility to you. They will hire you as long as you can pass the criminal backround check, no other experience needed. It is hard work but pays well and has benefits! GET your foot in the door! I'm talking about the facility that unloads and loads 18 wheelers, not the delivery to home one. Lots of times between the down time which for where I'm at is 3 to 4pm. They lots of times will have food for everyone which would be a free meal for you. Once you get in they have computers you can use to check your schedule. They also have times that they give out free socks, shirts, hoodies and other stuff. A good way to get some needed things. The only thing you will need to do is figure out a way to either get there or relocate near there. You can pickup as many shifts as you want. With what you would make could get you on your feet in no time. The only thing you need to do is make up your mind and do it. I get that no transportation is hard, but you have to make it happen somehow, some way. You just gotta do it. Ask around, maybe someone is going that way and maybe you can hitch a ride with them, even if they just drop you off close to the area and you walk the rest of the way. Good luck to you and congrats on your sobriety!

As for the steel toe boots, don't worry to much about them. They will tell you in training that you need them. I've been with FedEx for 6 months now and I don't have them. Lot of people I work with don't have them, just be alot more careful but dropping on your feet!

Last edited by Weenie66; 11-11-2022 at 09:22 AM..

Old 11-11-2022, 09:14 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
^This is a very good idea. It really is hard work but if you can hack it, it's a good way to get things on track. Ask someone at work to give you a ride. Offer them some money for their trouble and the gas, they'll probably refuse the $$, people often do. Many co-workers nowadays understand hardship and are glad to help.

Last edited by pathrunner; 11-11-2022 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-11-2022, 09:46 AM

30 posts, read 11,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think the OP is behind the 8-ball in this situation, because in their life, they haven't experienced a functional support system and haven't been able to trust people to really help them, and that affects how they navigate the world. There are resources out there for people like the OP, but they might not 100% what they're expecting on their timeline--social services often have to make do with very little support, and are often stretched thin. That doesn't mean it's hopeless, but it takes patience
This, its not the most difficult thing I have done in my life by far, but its putting me in a situation where I have to depend on people which I don't like doing. I would like to be patient but thats really not an option because here in two weeks my time will be up here and I won't have a place to stay and its about to get cold.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
Apply at fedex ground for package handler at the closest facility to you. They will hire you as long as you can pass the criminal backround check, no other experience needed. It is hard work but pays well and has benefits! GET your foot in the door! I'm talking about the facility that unloads and loads 18 wheelers, not the delivery to home one. Lots of times between the down time which for where I'm at is 3 to 4pm. They lots of times will have food for everyone which would be a free meal for you. Once you get in they have computers you can use to check your schedule. They also have times that they give out free socks, shirts, hoodies and other stuff. A good way to get some needed things. The only thing you will need to do is figure out a way to either get there or relocate near there. You can pickup as many shifts as you want. With what you would make could get you on your feet in no time. The only thing you need to do is make up your mind and do it. I get that no transportation is hard, but you have to make it happen somehow, some way. You just gotta do it. Ask around, maybe someone is going that way and maybe you can hitch a ride with them, even if they just drop you off close to the area and you walk the rest of the way. Good luck to you and congrats on your sobriety!

As for the steel toe boots, don't worry to much about them. They will tell you in training that you need them. I've been with FedEx for 6 months now and I don't have them. Lot of people I work with don't have them, just be alot more careful but dropping on your feet!
I'm in a shelter so maybe one person here who has a ride with that being said I really don't like to mention this but this area is not friendly to people of my color. Its one thing when black people here say it which there aren't many here but I have had more white people say it. One was the the doctor at the bhu, he was where I'm from which is Charleston and its not like that there. I really believe thats why he was scared to let me leave because he knew it was going to be hard for me to find work here.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Then you need to leave and get back to Charleston. More opportunities and better transportation available.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Then you need to leave and get back to Charleston. More opportunities and better transportation available.
There was reason why I left there, there is hardly any recovery community there and I'm not confident I can stay sober there. Thats why I relapsed last time because people places and things. To be honest if I can get on my feet I plan to leave WV, I don't know where I will go but there is nothing for me here.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:37 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I got to agree.

If it is not working for you there Fam you got to get to somewhere else. Don't make the crisis worse. We know your in a tough spot but you got prayers up from a lot of people on here.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I got to agree.

If it is not working for you there Fam you got to get to somewhere else. Don't make the crisis worse. We know your in a tough spot but you got prayers up from a lot of people on here.
Even if I wanted to go back there which I don't I have no money or way to get there. There is only one shelter there for men and its damn near impossible to get in. Not to mention that Charleston is a relapse waiting to happen for me and barely any recovery community.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:25 AM

136 posts, read 98,524 times
I sent you a dm.
Gave a few homeless shelters that you can call. They may have other info or programs that can help.

Also gave you the info to apply at fedex.

Where I'm at is very diversified. I'm 56yr old white female. I work with black, Mexican, and all other people from everywhere. We all get along great and work well each other. It doesn't matter whether a person is pink, blue, orange, gay, straight or whatever. All you have to do is show up on time and work. Hope this helps.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
I sent you a dm.
Gave a few homeless shelters that you can call. They may have other info or programs that can help.

Also gave you the info to apply at fedex.

Where I'm at is very diversified. I'm 56yr old white female. I work with black, Mexican, and all other people from everywhere. We all get along great and work well each other. It doesn't matter whether a person is pink, blue, orange, gay, straight or whatever. All you have to do is show up on time and work. Hope this helps.
I'll take that offer but I first have to find a way to get there. Which is easier said than done, but I really appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology