Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 12:36 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofoptions View Post
Even if I wanted to go back there which I don't I have no money or way to get there. There is only one shelter there for men and its damn near impossible to get in. Not to mention that Charleston is a relapse waiting to happen for me and barely any recovery community.
Understood. I agree that Charleston would be a step backward and not a good thing.

It will take some time, but research fulfillment facilities in a city where the transportation is decent and it goes by the facility. A city that has shelters on a bus line.

For example, during the pandemic I kept getting my Amazon shipments from the fulfillment centers in Kentucky, Louisville and Lexington.

There are homeless services in Huntsville, Alabama (where I live), crisis services and food banks. All within a 2-3 miles radius. Most of them are near Costco, which is a great place to work and pays well. It's a short walk from University Avenue, which has bus service. The Rescue Mission, Salvation Army, and other services are close to Costco. That area has apartments you can walk from when you are on your feet. Just one suggestion.

I just checked bus service from the Rescue Mission and the Food Bank (very close to each other) to Costco. 33 mins.

And by the way, Huntsville is a great small city, very livable, with a large African American population. I'd suggest Walmart, but it's a stressful, labor intensive place to work, with often difficult co-workers and management.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:43 PM

30 posts, read 11,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Understood. I agree that Charleston would be a step backward and not a good thing.

It will take some time, but research fulfillment facilities in a city where the transportation is decent and it goes by the facility. A city that has shelters on a bus line.

For example, during the pandemic I kept getting my Amazon shipments from the fulfillment centers in Kentucky, Louisville and Lexington.

There are homeless services in Huntsville, Alabama (where I live), crisis services and food banks. All within a 2-3 miles radius. Most of them are near Costco, which is a great place to work and pays well. It's a short walk from University Avenue, which has bus service. The Rescue Mission, Salvation Army, and other services are close to Costco. That area has apartments you can walk from when you are on your feet. Just one suggestion.

I just checked bus service from the Rescue Mission and the Food Bank (very close to each other) to Costco. 33 mins.

And by the way, Huntsville is a great small city, very livable, with a large African American population. I'd suggest Walmart, but it's a stressful, labor intensive place to work, with often difficult co-workers and management.
I have no problem relocating, my problem is figuring out how I'm going to get there but I appreciate all your help.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:47 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Pray. Ask God to help you. Ask people to help you. Ask the Universe to support you. Ask your Guardian Angel to help you. It's real. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Huntsville is 566 miles from West Virginia. I don't know where Weenie66 is located, but her area might be even closer.

The point is, you've reached out. That's a first step. Don't go hiding in a turtle shell now that you've ventured out. You can't afford to be giving up right now.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:53 PM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
Don't worry about the fancy boots, if you get a job, just find a way to show up. I once worked in a place where the guys were all supposed to have steel toe boots, but no-one ever looked or checked & I never saw anyone wear them. Then once you get your first paycheck, buy a pair of cheap boots.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:02 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
When my friend stopped drinking, she just kept applying everywhere and took the first job she could. Stayed with a friend. Eventually she got better jobs and then her own place and a car.

Use your AA/NA network. Get the word out that you need a job any job.

You are not the only one who has been there, others did and kept going. Had a friend years ago who did nothing but sell coke from 18 to 38 when he landed in rehab. Never had a real job. He was starting from scratch learning to be an electrician.

Open your mind to possibility. You can have a new life. I wish you the best. It takes courage to live sober, and with six months, you've shown you have some.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,860 times
Is there a UPS facility/warehouse near you? It's holiday time and each one would be hiring like mad. They hire anyone and everyone.
Don't give up - many of us have had our time at the razors edge; talk to the old-timers at meetings: tell them of your desire to get a job. Miracles happen at meetings.
This is not worth your taking your life over Be easy on yourself you're body's still adjusting. Call temp agencies. Get on your knees and tell God what you need and tell him you need help right now! I did this, it worked for me it'll work for you too. Stay sober #1 priority.

Old 11-12-2022, 04:06 AM

102 posts, read 97,117 times
Steel capped boots can be bought at second hand store very cheaply. $10?
Go to a Swap meet to buy steel caps?
One thing I learned about life and being down and out is to ask for help from as many people/organisations as possible.
Put notices on boards around town.
Join the local library for access to internet. Any farms in the area? Go door knocking.

I was a homeless alcoholic with no foreseeable future, ending up as low as a person could go.
Made a decision to stop drinking and get my life together. Started asking for help which for me was extremely difficult. I learnt people will not offer help if they do not know you need help.
Believe in yourself and banish negative thoughts. Those negative thoughts will keep you thinking negatively. Try a new tack, say positive things you like about yourself daily.
When negativity threatens to take over, get a pen and paper and write what ever comes out until there is nothing else coming out. Throw away what you have written. Do not read what you have written, that will put the negativity back into your head.
Please stay positive.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:08 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
This movie has some interesting parallels - the guy couldn't get a job because folks didn't want to hire a guy with a broken neck - then he was a homeless bum - and no one wanted to hire him - or let him use their public restroom. He hit bottom, eating scraps from dumpsters. Then he got better. The End. What? You want more? Watch the movie !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL5l18e7ghw

Old 11-12-2022, 11:04 AM

30 posts, read 11,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Is there a UPS facility/warehouse near you? It's holiday time and each one would be hiring like mad. They hire anyone and everyone.
Don't give up - many of us have had our time at the razors edge; talk to the old-timers at meetings: tell them of your desire to get a job. Miracles happen at meetings.
This is not worth your taking your life over Be easy on yourself you're body's still adjusting. Call temp agencies. Get on your knees and tell God what you need and tell him you need help right now! I did this, it worked for me it'll work for you too. Stay sober #1 priority.
Yes there is, I had a job there but I couldn't work because I have no boots and no money for some.

Old 11-12-2022, 11:23 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Have you looked into food service or janitorial? There's a low point of entry there, and more opportunities than a warehouse that might only have one location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology