Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 04:56 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,045,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
LOL!

So, you're telling us if somebody dares to notice somebody acting ridiculous in public or on social media and comment negatively about it, it's because they're big-time miserable?
You're equating "happiness" with "acting ridiculous"??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 05:08 PM

557 posts, read 404,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
......especially when they see happy couples.

Is it really true 'misery loves company'?
I think in general people are happy for others. That's especially easy if you are happy with your own life.

Where I think things are a little more difficult are if people are going thru difficult emotional problems and are not happy with their lives. What I have mostly observed is not ill will to about happy news for other people they care about but maybe not really being there and rejoicing in it as they are dealing with so much themselves and are focusing on that and aren't there as much for others. Often these same people if they are able get their lives back together are able to better rejoice in the happy new that others near and dear to them have. This is true not only of those with mental health issues, but it can also be true of people who their whole lives who have been so supportive of and happy for others who are dealing with debilitating health issues, pain, etc. I think we owe it to these people who are suffering to cut them a little slack.

Last edited by Kathy884; 05-14-2024 at 05:17 PM..

Old 05-14-2024, 09:08 PM

8,761 posts, read 3,930,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
‘Looking around at one’s environment’ is different than being immersed in it to the point of jealousy or resentment; point being, those who focus on navigating (or improving) their own lives fare much better, as a whole, psychologically and otherwise.
Quote:
The resenter is already miserable and/or jealous; else, they’d have no reason to care about (or even notice) others’ happiness, particularly regarding strangers and folks online. Ultimately, it is feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness (or entitlement) that fuels their anger/resentment of those who are happy and more wealthy/successful in life - even those they don’t know i.e. C-level executives, celebrities, professional athletes, model influencers and so on.
Quote:
So, you're telling us if somebody dares to notice somebody acting ridiculous in public or on social media and comment negatively about it, it's because they're big-time miserable?
As rokuremote mentioned, you’re confusing ‘acting ridiculous’ with happiness. I’m stating they’re miserable/angry if they resent happy persons (per the thread). Else, they’d be too focused on enjoying their own life to care about a stranger’s happiness, yet alone be resentful of it.

That said, what happy/rational person follows someone they resent or dislike on social media, only to comment negatively (such as is often the case with attractive women/model influencers or previously listed examples, above). The ‘normal’ thing to do would be to stop following them, no?

Old 05-14-2024, 10:50 PM

196 posts, read 62,492 times
Quote:

That said, what happy/rational person follows someone they resent or dislike on social media, only to comment negatively (such as is often the case with attractive women/model influencers or previously listed examples, above). The ‘normal’ thing to do would be to stop following them, no?
How about if someone shows or shares you a video?

'Pancake Girl' is acting ridiculous because she's pretending to be happy. I happened to see the video, thought negatively about it and moved on with my life. It didn't ruin my day.
There are very few people who see others being happy and resent it. I know firsthand there's a lot of jealousy, though.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

Quote:
How about if someone shows or shares you a video?
Quote:
There are very few people who see others being happy and resent it. I know firsthand there's a lot of jealousy, though.
One’s lack of psychological health and/or unhappiness is at the root of jealousy, anger and/or resentment. At the end of the day, behavior relative to such (negative comments, harassment, sharing videos/following strangers on social media) speaks very clearly to one’s mental health and how they feel about themselves.

That said, there are plenty of folks who are unhappy and/or psychologically unwell who commonly resent or are jealous of others’ happiness/success. In fact, one can see it play out on social media any day of the week (sans any effort to do so) as people are much more likely to express (and be invested in) their negativity/drama from behind a screen.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,209,533 times
Quote:
LOL!

But what does it matter if someone is being ridiculous, as long as they aren't hurting anyone or causing disruption? (Like say acting out in class.)

There's room in this world for a little ridiculousness.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

20,436 posts, read 14,752,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
But what does it matter if someone is being ridiculous, as long as they aren't hurting anyone or causing disruption? (Like say acting out in class.)

Right??

There are times I get kinda clowny in public. I'm not recording myself or anything, but I can be a goofball now and then, especially if I'm hanging out with friends.

I would hope that strangers are not looking at me and suffering any kind of angst or resentment because I am obviously having fun. But if they are, it isn't my problem. I am reminded of something...I was on this other forum for a while and there was a poster who responded to various threads with the phrase, "I'm sorry you struggle." before sharing any advice. I like that. I'm sorry they struggle.

But I wonder if this is always a matter of just...resenting happiness? Or could it be something else?

Because there's a line between being silly and being inappropriate. Being excessively disturbing to others around you can be inappropriate. Certain extents of PDA for instance, can get inappropriate, and I'd say it's a factor of maturity to learn to respect others around you and what they might not want to see or hear.

I guess I would fall back to some extent on the "reasonable expectation" standard. If I am in public in a space where families would be, at a theme park or a mall, then a couple getting hot and heavy is not what anyone has a reasonable expectation to see. If you go to a quiet coffee shop with mellow background jazz, you don't have the reasonable expectation that an influencer will leap up and start shrieking and dancing about. It may be rather alarming, it may disrupt the vibe you wanted and expected to enjoy. It isn't like, heinously horrific, but it does display a lack of consideration and respect for the people around them, perhaps. Mentally ill? Maybe not. You can be thoughtless without being mentally ill. Though if taken far enough, not understanding human behavioral expectations related to situational context can be sign of mental illness, for sure!

Dancing over pancakes is obviously nowhere near that extreme, but it could fall under, "that is a weird thing to do and is abnormal enough for the venue that other people may raise eyebrows at it." Especially in a relatively quiet restaurant.

Go to a louder and busier place, maybe one with alcohol, and you can probably leap up and dance and squeal and nobody will care one bit. Go to a nightclub with only adults present and you and your partner can probably bump and grind and make out and no one will care. Context matters.

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post

Exactly.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

Quote:
One’s lack of psychological health and/or unhappiness is at the root of jealousy, anger and/or resentment. At the end of the day, behavior relative to such (negative comments, harassment, sharing videos/following strangers on social media) speaks very clearly to one’s mental health and how they feel about themselves.

That said, there are plenty of folks who are unhappy and/or psychologically unwell who commonly resent or are jealous of others’ happiness/success. In fact, one can see it play out on social media any day of the week (sans any effort to do so) as people are much more likely to express (and be invested in) their negativity/drama from behind a screen.
... and if someone happens to make the random negative comment once in a while, it doesn't mean they're unhappy/unwell.

Now, if they're doing it all the time ...

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

Quote:
... and if someone happens to make the random negative comment once in a while, it doesn't mean they're unhappy/unwell.
Dude, that’s the point; why would anyone need (or want) to make ‘random negative comments’ relative to others’ happiness? Clearly, they’re resentful/unhappy themselves (or they’d have no reason to comment, gossip or attempt to bring others down with their nonsense).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology