Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 02:03 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
101.1 the wiz almost never plays new music they play usher songs from like 5 yrs ago they never play the jams that people wnat to hear. the wiz has got ot be the worst i heard alot of rap stations, philly, new york, baltimore, d.c., chicago, los angeles, dallas, oklahoma city, nashville, orlando the list goes on and on anyway the point im trying to make is the cincinnati 101.1 the wiz is the owrst because they play the same old music every second, they say new joint like once a day and the new joint are ussaly songs that came out months and months ago worst station ever terrible every station is better then the wiz!!!
The Wiz is really that bad huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:12 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Atlantas scam is they create their own celebrities so that they don't have to pay real ones to come to the city. Its a very impressive system they have going in Atlanta. Its much cheaper to get TI or Young Jeezy to host a party than to get say a Kanye West or Snoop Dogg to do it. They get these guys when tehy are local pick n choose who they want to make a star. Make they a star n then wait for the new star to return the favor. The radio stations clubs local djs the newspaper are all in on this this. Its an economic sector here. The more Atlanta stars Atlanta makes the more other smaller cities in the region want a piece of these new stars for a higher price.
So we are suppose to sit back and wait on NYC and LA to blow us up?

NYC does the same thing. Why is it ok for NYC to do this but ATL can't?

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 11-29-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 11-29-2013, 01:07 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
I'm in Macon, GA. We have 3 hip hop stations. 97.9 WIBB, Power 107 and Blazin 92.3

I've always wondered why we have 3 stations, yet when I was in bigger cities like Orlando and Miami a couple months ago I couldn't even find that many in those cities. There stations seemed different too. They seemed to play more "pop" type of hip hop songs that would cater to the general population of people as a whole.

Our stations seem........hood lol.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:44 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I'm in Macon, GA. We have 3 hip hop stations. 97.9 WIBB, Power 107 and Blazin 92.3

I've always wondered why we have 3 stations, yet when I was in bigger cities like Orlando and Miami a couple months ago I couldn't even find that many in those cities. There stations seemed different too. They seemed to play more "pop" type of hip hop songs that would cater to the general population of people as a whole.

Augusta is like that too. They have Foxie, Power and the Wiz(across the River in SC). I believe that Fayetteville NC has 2 or 3 as well. It seems like cities like Augusta have one station with a more Southern vibe, one with more of a Northern vibe and the other has a mix of old and new stuff(including R&B). This is pretty common in smaller Southern metros too. I can only think of maybe a couple of smaller non Southern metros that have more than one station that plays Hip Hop.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Default Los Angeles: The Tale of Two...

...stations.

Southern California has the worst and best hip-hop stations in the country.

Power 106 is a terrible station. I've heard better hip-hop stations all over America--Cincinnati, Lexington, Birmingham, etc. I've heard clips of the old Power 106 from the 1980s (on YouTube) and it was a good station then...and then corporate %*#^ took over.

By contrast, 93.5 KDAY is a great station. Just...great! Old school hip-hop, or at least mostly stuff from the 1980s and 1990s. Huge West Coast emphasis, so guys like 2Pac, Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube, E-40, Lloyd Banks, and Eazy-E get a lot of play time. It may be a corporate station but it doesn't feel very "corporate," at least compared to 106 or most stations around the country.

Night and freakin' day.

Side note: 106 KMEL in the SF Bay Area just went from great to average with the termination of one longtime DJ, Chuy Gomez. He made the morning show one of the few worth listening to in the country. But he's "too old" or whatever. Corporate decision I'm sure and not one of KMEL management, but that was top story news in the Bay.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I would have to say Pierre, South Dakota's KGFX "The Hip-Hoppiest Spot in Central Dakotalands" is the worst. Their only DJ (Old McDonald E-I-E-I-O) refuses to play any music and his entire show consists of reading crop reports and describing the tractors that drive by his studio.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,281 times
Gotta go with 102 jams in Greensboro, NC. Childish, terrible, same songs every two hours.....

Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post

I just came back from Florida this weekend. What in the world happened to 102 jamz in Orlando? It was like a fusion of hip hop and pop but more pop.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:35 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'll vote for Minneapolis/St. Paul. Not very good variety or music for a city its size. It may be that I can't stand modern hip-hop though, and I don't listen to 88.9 (the "true" hip-hop station).
Im from the east coast and had to hang my head in shame when I heard the 'true' hip hop Minneapolis' station. It may stink to have radio one monotonous trash but it's worse when the station is low budget like there. The DJs are terrible mixers and people talking ramble on and on between some of the most commercial songs from 5 years ago (think Nelly and Ja Rule). The mix show was cool, since it was like a college station, but the daytime music made me literally turn into best buy to get an auxiliary cord.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 PM

183 posts, read 298,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Gotta go with 102 jams in Greensboro, NC. Childish, terrible, same songs every two hours.....
What happened?? When we used to drive to VA, I used to love listening to this station when driving through Greensboro. I rarely listen to the radio, but streetz 94.5 here in Atlanta is one of my favorite stations and they actually show A LOT of love to the new up and coming artists that are here in Atlanta. I actually do prefer to listen to them over V103 and Hot1079. Also, I havent been to Orlando in a while, but I remember their radio stations being terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio