Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 AM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
what does that have to do with masking any problem? there is no problem that is masked. there is an obvious problem for which some have proposed that placing all the problems in one place is a bright idea

where's the statistics for that idea?
That is not a proposal I have made or supported; your request to me is not logical.
I suggest when you provide data to support your position, you make the request of those who have made the proposal you cite to do the same.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 AM

182 posts, read 386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That is not a proposal I have made or supported; your request to me is not logical.
I suggest when you provide data to support your position, you make the request of those who have made the proposal you cite to do the same.
did you miss this study that was posted earlier?:

http://www.wcpss.net/evaluation-rese...20_poverty.pdf

but, do you really need data to show that high-poverty, inner-city schols will create all sorts of problems including but not limited to poor academci performance?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:17 AM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
did you miss this study that was posted earlier?:

http://www.wcpss.net/evaluation-rese...20_poverty.pdf

but, do you really need data to show that high-poverty, inner-city schols will create all sorts of problems including but not limited to poor academci performance?
I looked at it earlier.
I see a report and interpret that WCPSS supported their decision to proceed with the prior assignment plan based on stats from the 1990's and earlier.
That is very clear and no one denies that they made that decision, or that they referred to the data while doing so.

People are asking for statistical support for the concept that that has increased academic success.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I looked at it earlier.
I see a report and interpret that WCPSS supported their decision to proceed with the prior assignment plan based on stats from the 1990's and earlier.
That is very clear and no one denies that they made that decision, or that they referred to the data while doing so.

People are asking for statistical support for the concept that that has increased academic success.
I don;t understand why the data I provided does not answer your question. It appears crystal clear to me. It's data and it says exactly what I say.

Do you have data that proves otherwise?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 AM

here's another piece of support including more data:

Wake County's dilemma: Diverse schools vs. neighborhood ones | Wake County | Independent Weekly

If anyone arguing against this has provided any data for their position, I have missed it. Has anyone?

that road goes both ways you know

Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,164,558 times
Has anyone done a study to see what Wake County students have done with themselves since graduation and compared it to somewhere like Charlotte? I think it would make for an interesting sociology project for some grad students out there.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Has anyone done a study to see what Wake County students have done with themselves since graduation and compared it to somewhere like Charlotte? I think it would make for an interesting sociology project for some grad students out there.

I don't think that kind of thinking will get much traction with the advocates of high-poverty schools

Old 01-13-2012, 12:45 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,878,282 times
Quote:
I don't think that kind of thinking will get much traction with the advocates of high-poverty schools
Again, no data.
It is apparent that you view this more as a social condition than an educational one. I, for one, don't believe that our schools should be used as a social incubator.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Again, no data.
It is apparent that you view this more as a social condition than an educational one. I, for one, don't believe that our schools should be used as a social incubator.
You need to look a little more carefully. There are two articles posted above with data in them that support my position that high-poverty schools perform worse than diverse schools.

On the other hand, you and the others advocating a mass conversion to high-poverty schools have produced absolutely nothing to support your position. Anecdotes aboutf a handful of isolated examples out of a sea of disasters is not data. And there was no plan to duplicate such anecdotes from the previous board. The only duplication will be the disasters that the data show will happen when we get high-poverty schools. The data is above.

It seems the same question to you though is not somethnbg you want to deal with.

I've produced data. You haven't.

Not only that but you ignore the data that is produced.

Last edited by ApexWolfpacker; 01-15-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 AM

107 posts, read 143,996 times
Quote:
You need to look a little more carefully. There are two articles posted above with data in them that support my position that high-poverty schools perform worse than diverse schools.

On the other hand, you and the others advocating a mass conversion to high-poverty schools have produced absolutely nothing to support your position. Anecdotes aboutf a handful of isolated examples out of a sea of disasters is not data. And there was no plan to duplicate such anecdotes from the previous board. The only duplication will be the disasters that the data show will happen when we get high-poverty schools. The data is above.

It seems the same question to you though is not somethnbg you want to deal with.

I've produced data. You haven't.

Not only that but you ignore the data that is produced.
You are repeating again the comment on diverse schools performing better than high poverty schools. Can you not see how this is what people are saying to you about schools instead of students? What difference does it make if the schools average out better if the struggling students just gets lost in the shuffling? It's not the school average people are concerned with. It's the student's own improvement that matters.

You keep repeating people are in favor of high poverty schools. Do you really believe that is what people are in favor of? Do you think that is their goal or is that how you are choosing to interpret it to make your point? How do you know they are not in favor of no poverty whatsoever?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think busing for socioeconomic diversity has been around for 40 years. I believe it was busing for something different for the first 30 years and then changed to busing for socioeconomic diversity for the last 10 years. Either the students grades and graduation rates went up or down over the 10 years. We know the graduation rates went down for students in poverty. Do you have any evidence the grades went up for students in poverty in the WCPSS? Referencing articles based in theory not using data from the WCPSS does not make the case for what did or did not happen in the WCPSS. You need to provide proof the students in poverty are doing better individually. On the surface it appears busing is not helping students in poverty to improve because the data shows fewer of them are graduating. Based on that wouldn't you think it's time to try something different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary