Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
the result is not "a bunch of average schools" and the problem is not "masked"
Would you care to expand? How is busing kids across the county in order to avoid low performing schools not masking the problem? I still have not found the data showing an improvement in testing for these kids.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:42 PM

107 posts, read 143,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
the result is not "a bunch of average schools" and the problem is not "masked"
I ask again for you to provide the academic numbers over the 10 year busing period. Did the test scores and graduation rates increase or decrease over that time period for students in poverty. Are we trying to improve the academic situation for low income students or not? If we are not discussing the academic progress or lack thereof, how do we know if we are succeeding or failing? Don't we advance the conversation by discussing the measurable results or do we only debate our opinions back and forth?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfolks View Post
I ask again for you to provide the academic numbers over the 10 year busing period. Did the test scores and graduation rates increase or decrease over that time period for students in poverty. Are we trying to improve the academic situation for low income students or not? If we are not discussing the academic progress or lack thereof, how do we know if we are succeeding or failing? Don't we advance the conversation by discussing the measurable results or do we only debate our opinions back and forth?
It is all agenda driven. Always has been and always will be.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
huh? you want me to volunteer to solve a problem you want and I'm trying to stop?
A problem I want? No one wants low-performing schools, but you can't identify them if you make every school average by busing kids around. And yes, if you are so concerned about low-income schools becoming problems under the new system (which may or may not happen) then get out there and donate your time and effort. I would think you would want to improve a system (busing for diversity) that is currently failing the low-income students.

You cannot enforce equal outcomes, only equal opportunity. The rest is up to the students and parents.

@CHTransplant, fair enough.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
Because no one wants to go to (or have their child attend) a below average school (or at least anyone who cares about education). I think the people who are so against bussing are the ones like a friend of mine who lives in West Cary and complained about the 1 busload of SE Raleigh Kids that came to her school. She was not at all concerned about the length of their bus ride, or whether or not they were getting the academic help they needed, or that their parents couldn't be as involved because of the distance, all she cared about was that they were in her school and had "disrupting" behavior. Needless to say, the parents complained and the 1 busload of kids that went there, were moved to another school.

You all can say you are concerned about the kids getting the help they need, but really I think you just don't want them in your schools.
You are absolutely right, we should not tolerate disruptive children in school no matter what race, gender or socio-economic background they are.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
You are absolutely right, we should not tolerate disruptive children in school no matter what race, gender or socio-economic background they are.
So those kids should go to... where?

If we don't find a way to educate them, what happens to them? (We're going to pay for them one way or another.)

Seriously, what do we do? Terminate custody? Parental interventions with social workers assigned to the home? And are we willing to pay for it?

No quarrel here with the idea of a culture of personal responsibility, but when people aren't responsible or effective parents, what do we do? And more important, how do we break a cycle of poverty?

Just saying "we should not tolerate" such children in school doesn't answer the question.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:03 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:

It just isn't sensible or sustainable for the scenario my neighbor had a couple of years ago, with a high schooler on traditional schedule, a middle schooler going year round, but on a different track than her elementary kid.

To get the ES kid to a traditional school, she was offered the choice of putting a 40 pound 1st grader on a bus to Joyner. Nothing against the school, but a 19 mile bus ride for a first grader?
To be fair, my husband used to teach elementary school kids that had to walk 45 minutes to school. I used to teach high school kids that had commutes of over 2 hours to school. Kids here have it good, even if it is on a bus

Old 01-12-2012, 05:21 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
To be fair, my husband used to teach elementary school kids that had to walk 45 minutes to school. I used to teach high school kids that had commutes of over 2 hours to school. Kids here have it good, even if it is on a bus
I went to high school in a village/rural school district.
Huge district in area with 67 kids in my graduating class.
School in the middle, and kids rode busses 16 miles from one direction, 13 miles from another direction and 6-7 miles from the third direction.
If I missed the bus, I walked a mile and a half mostly along a two lane road with no sidewalk, and I lived "close to school."

But, no one rode past 4 or 5 other schools to get there. They truly went to the closest schools to home.
When it is a necessity, it has to be sustained.
Planning to avoid the necessity of a two hour commute could hardly be faulted.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:32 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Some of the high school kids I taught would literally pass a dozen high schools on the way to the one I taught at. That sort of situation isn't unique to Wake though less heard of in the US it seems. I personally never felt I suffered in the Wake system from the bussing or changing elementary schools. If anything it made me a seasoned pro for communing haha.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Some of the high school kids I taught would literally pass a dozen high schools on the way to the one I taught at. That sort of situation isn't unique to Wake though less heard of in the US it seems. I personally never felt I suffered in the Wake system from the bussing or changing elementary schools. If anything it made me a seasoned pro for communing haha.
If a kid had a choice, with other factors being comparable, would one choose a two hour commute to school over a shorter commute to school?
Personally, while I know people do what they have to do, I cannot imagine a 4 hour round trip for classes for years on end.

Similarly, I have clients who say, "I'm used to a 90 minute commute. It's no big deal. I like to relax in the car. Etc..."
And I say, "Why don't we look at houses that offer you a 15--20 minute commute, and you can relax in your home with your kids for an extra hour a day?" Adults are commonly receptive to that reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary