Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,092,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
It's not a matter of fixing the last two years. It's a matter of the new board acting inappropriately by excluding some board members from meetings and also having in fighting amongst themselves, ensuring uncertainty and chaos.
Yes, this is a problem, I agree. It was also a problem with the last board.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Redistricting is always a hot button issue and when you elect border members via districts and mix in political party affiliation you are virtually certain of a controversial process. You have created a situation where folks will work towards parochial interests and not a group/big picture oriented solution.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:02 PM

182 posts, read 386,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Redistricting is always a hot button issue and when you elect border members via districts and mix in political party affiliation you are virtually certain of a controversial process. You have created a situation where folks will work towards parochial interests and not a group/big picture oriented solution.
disagree that both sides are acting in their parochial interest.

People that believe diversity ia bettee for lower socio-economic students, and the county as a whole, are willing to take the personal dislocation it cause for themselves.

people that don't want any personal dislocation, well, don't want any personal dislocation regardless of the negative consequences for others. Recall this all started over reassignments, which are really more of a growth problem, and morphed into a diversity issue, which opens a whole other can of worms.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:46 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
disagree that both sides are acting in their parochial interest.

People that believe diversity ia bettee for lower socio-economic students, and the county as a whole, are willing to take the personal dislocation it cause for themselves.

people that don't want any personal dislocation, well, don't want any personal dislocation regardless of the negative consequences for others. Recall this all started over reassignments, which are really more of a growth problem, and morphed into a diversity issue, which opens a whole other can of worms.
Sounds parochial to me. Each side has a belief that they believe is proper and have elected leaders to represent and win. Or did you say compromise and not win but seek a broad consensus that best accomplishes a group goal since they are the leaders of that broader group?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Sounds parochial to me. Each side has a belief that they believe is proper and have elected leaders to represent and win. Or did you say compromise and not win but seek a broad consensus that best accomplishes a group goal since they are the leaders of that broader group?
In my view the former Republican position is parochial/provincial in that it prioritizes and restricts assignment based on the local, personal self-interests of the immediate neighborhoods, whereas the Democratic view prioritizes and Unrestricts assignment based on the educational achievement interests of the county as a whole, and requires that some self-interests be subordinated to community achievement

isn't that the distinction between parochial/restricted and broad/unrestricted?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:00 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
In my view the former Republican position is parochial/provincial in that it prioritizes and restricts assignment based on the local, personal self-interests of the immediate neighborhoods, whereas the Democratic view prioritizes and Unrestricts assignment based on the educational achievement interests of the county as a whole, and requires that some self-interests be subordinated to community achievement

The self-righteous arrogance of either "side" has been absolutely breath-taking from time to time.
Because both are totally convinced they are on a sacred mission and the path of righteousness.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM

109 posts, read 105,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The self-righteous arrogance of either "side" has been absolutely breath-taking from time to time.
Because both are totally convinced they are on a sacred mission and the path of righteousness.
The biggest issue right now is I am not allowed to give you positive reputation points back to back. Your post is most excellent. Sometimes people convince themselves they are right, so they no longer can see they may not be or at least they may not be for everyone else. Isn't it strange how self righteousness works? It makes one blind to the concerns of others.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:16 AM

109 posts, read 105,725 times
Quote:

In my view, we should strive to ensure every single student has the same opportunity for a quality education.

In my view, we should strive to ensure all schools can provide a quality education.

In my view, it is short sighted to think one student and/or family should have to suffer, so another student can achieve.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 AM

^what do you mean by "suffer"? a minor dislocation of a suburban student to me is not "suffering"

Old 01-08-2012, 06:06 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,934 times
Quote:
whereas the Democratic view prioritizes and Unrestricts assignment based on the educational achievement interests of the county as a whole, and requires that some self-interests be subordinated to community achievement
And that is the plan that failed if you take a look at the minority graduation rates. Instead of being able to identify problem areas and focus additional resources in that direction, they just spread the problems around the entire system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary