Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:51 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,481 times

Advertisements

I like the fact that our area is included in these articles--unlike some people, I'd like to see A LOT more growth. I guess everyone has their reasons, but I could care less if someone moves here without a job. Btw, I don't know anyone that is currently unemployed in this area, so I don't find it far-fetched to believe the statistics (I obviously don't know that many people ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 AM

460 posts, read 1,018,310 times
From an outsider's point of view... and a potential "transplant"... I think the vibe I have gotten from many natives, is that they are worried about, (because they have had experience with it), is people coming from out of town, not because they want to join the area, and the culture that the natives love... but for other reasons. Then they come to the area, and want to CHANGE the culture and area... and I don't know many people who like that.

Kind of a.. don't come here trying to change everything we know and love... either become a part of it or tolerate it... or go somewhere that fits more along the lines of what you want.

Correct me if I am wrong... but I've gotten that vibe from many I think.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:03 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
From an outsider's point of view... and a potential "transplant"... I think the vibe I have gotten from many natives, is that they are worried about, (because they have had experience with it), is people coming from out of town, not because they want to join the area, and the culture that the natives love... but for other reasons. Then they come to the area, and want to CHANGE the culture and area... and I don't know many people who like that.

Kind of a.. don't come here trying to change everything we know and love... either become a part of it or tolerate it... or go somewhere that fits more along the lines of what you want.

Actually, while change is difficult for some folks, many cope with it well.

However, it is astonishing sometimes to witness the clash in cultures, and how brash, crude and rude some northern folks seem when they talk endlessly about where they are from as if a local has never heard of LI or NYC.

The old sales saying, "You have two ears and one mouth and should use them in that proportion," would be good advice for anyone locating from anywhere to anywhere.
"When in Rome, do as the Romans do," also comes to mind from time to time.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post

...except that, for all intents and purposes, Raleigh has been in a constant state of change for decades now.

While there will always be some that don't want people to move to the area for "whatever" reason, I think that any heightened concerns today would be more associated with jobs. Even then, the reality is that the Triangle's unemployment rate remains significantly lower than the state average despite keeping up the fastest growth rate. When and if the unemployment rate "normalizes" to more typical levels for the Triangle, I think that a lot of the anxiety from many will melt away.

The reality is that the Triangle has built itself on retaining NC's best and brightest while welcoming many of the best and brightest from elsewhere. To be successful into the future, it needs to stay that course.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The rudeness manifests itself when posters are braced about their means when they have not raised the question, when it is tangential to the original post, and when it is done without offering any information that relates to their query.
Mike,

I personally tend to inquire when people's questions about relocating seem rather random.

Ex. We are thinking about relocating to Cary. We want good schools. Where are these?

If this person said:

Hi! My husband has been offered the opportunity to relocate to RTP for work. We've heard Cary is a great place to raise a family. We'd like a house in a family neighborhood. Our budget is 400-500k.

I sure as heck would not be rude enough to ask if they think the new income can buy them a home in that price range. Nor how they plan to support themselves.

The most frightening posters have a horrific grasp of Internet communication skils, extremely poor grammar, and throw out a handful of places where they heard there were jobs, minus any mention of securing one first.

This is the Internet. While these boards are designed to help folks, it's unfair to coddle people who need help.

Telling them it'll be tough to move here without a job or a very large amount of cash is a kindness, not an evil.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Actually, while change is difficult for some folks, many cope with it well.

However, it is astonishing sometimes to witness the clash in cultures, and how brash, crude and rude some northern folks seem when they talk endlessly about where they are from as if a local has never heard of LI or NYC.

The old sales saying, "You have two ears and one mouth and should use them in that proportion," would be good advice for anyone locating from anywhere to anywhere.
"When in Rome, do as the Romans do," also comes to mind from time to time.
Couldn't rep it, but I agree completely. Hey! Many of us have even ridden on big planes to visit large cities.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If this person said:

Hi! My husband has been offered the opportunity to relocate to RTP for work. We've heard Cary is a great place to raise a family. We'd like a house in a family neighborhood. Our budget is 400-500k.

I sure as heck would not be rude enough to ask if they think the new income can buy them a home in that price range. Nor how they plan to support themselves.
Unfortunately, some people ARE rude enough to ask the question, even when the OP specifically stated a job was in hand -- it's happened before (and will likely happen again).

In the past, I've asked people to NOT focus on the jobs question unless it's specifically asked, and I still think that's the best policy.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...except that, for all intents and purposes, Raleigh has been in a constant state of change for decades now.

While there will always be some that don't want people to move to the area for "whatever" reason, I think that any heightened concerns today would be more associated with jobs. Even then, the reality is that the Triangle's unemployment rate remains significantly lower than the state average despite keeping up the fastest growth rate. When and if the unemployment rate "normalizes" to more typical levels for the Triangle, I think that a lot of the anxiety from many will melt away.

The reality is that the Triangle has built itself on retaining NC's best and brightest while welcoming many of the best and brightest from elsewhere. To be successful into the future, it needs to stay that course.
And this.

Raleigh has been constantly evolving ever since my earliest memories.

I can even recall when most of what is now Cary was incredibly rural.

My 22yo son remembers when Morrisville was a hole in the road. He attended Sterling Montessori before they even finished construction on the middle school building.

I think most locals handle change just fine.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Unfortunately, some people ARE rude enough to ask the question, even when the OP specifically stated a job was in hand -- it's happened before (and will likely happen again).

In the past, I've asked people to NOT focus on the jobs question unless it's specifically asked, and I still think that's the best policy.
Well, that's kinda stupid of them. Why ask people if they have a job when they just said so? Odd.

I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat. No harm in discussing the jobless rate here. It's a "feature" of the region, after all.

Er. Not to people who have jobs. To the ones who don't mention it and sound like they're fleeing from some depressed state with high unemployment.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
Here's how I see it ...

If someone says, "Tell me about RDU (sic) and where I should live and where my kids should go to school and anything else you can tell me that I need to know!"

Then an appropriate question would be ...

"Where is your job located? That will help us give you the information you need."

The person will either say, "I'll be working in [insert area here]." or will say "Uhhhhh -- working?", and that will give you a pretty good idea of the direction the conversation should take .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary