Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 AM

542 posts, read 1,525,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You say that like it's a good thing.
It is a great thing! Suburban sprawl is unsustainable and more densely populated areas lead to a more innovative and productive workforce with a more vibrant lifestyle thanks to increased choice. Bring them on. The more people that come here, the better!

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 05:18 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
Quote:
And most posters both appreciate and honor that distinction.
The issue remains that such clear statement occurs in so few of them.
But, again, if someone doesn't specifically mention needing a job, then I still maintain the question doesn't need to be asked -- and that happens a LOT.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:55 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
But, again, if someone doesn't specifically mention needing a job, then I still maintain the question doesn't need to be asked -- and that happens a LOT.
Nope; not buying it. HOW the topic gets addressed is fair criticism...
but the subject absolutely needs to be addressed.

The otherwise well phrased inquiry from a CD veteran focusing on the one or two rather specific points they need help with isn't likely to get asked anything on the matter... the issue (again) is with the others.

As an example.. the far too common less than 10 post newbie poorly expressing their pipe dream notions with little or no detail on any important aspect of their lives will (and should) have the mirror of reality pointed back at them... and the sooner in the process the better for everyone. Neither their interests or the interests of anyone in NC are served by avoiding the topic; especially out of some sense of politeness.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:00 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Nope; not buying it. HOW the topic gets addressed is fair criticism...
but the subject absolutely needs to be addressed.

The otherwise well phrased inquiry from a CD veteran focusing on the one or two rather specific points they need help with isn't likely to get asked anything on the matter... the issue (again) is with the others.

As an example.. the far too common less than 10 post newbie poorly expressing their pipe dream notions with little or no detail on any important aspect of their lives will (and should) have the mirror of reality pointed back at them... and the sooner in the process the better for everyone. Neither their interests or the interests of anyone in NC are served by avoiding the topic; especially out of some sense of politeness.
Politeness is polite and stands on its own merit.

Self-gratifying tangential rudeness rationalized as "kindness" is neither polite nor needed.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 AM

109 posts, read 169,323 times
One thing I've thought about lately as I read negative posts is how prevalent city data results are on search engines. I search for random stuff all the time and wind up with city data posts ... Can "We the Internet" wind up creating self-fulfilling prophecies? Maybe a gloomy picture turns off one person ... who might have become a job creator. Perhaps in turning off the lacking-grammar barista, you also turn off the salesperson who could have turned things around and opened up a production line at a local company. Or the nurse who would wind up saving your life someday.

My husband comes from a dying area ... they can barely keep his old elementary school open. This is far from a dying area. As things stand, I won't be telling my kids to leave, no matter what, when they graduate high school.

Now I don't post all sunshine and light myself. Folks are seeking honesty ... but sometimes I think, well, if I've said my piece in one similar post, I've said it enough. Someone really seeking as much info as possible will use that search function.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
You say that like it's a good thing.
You beat me to that comment.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
It is a great thing! Suburban sprawl is unsustainable and more densely populated areas lead to a more innovative and productive workforce with a more vibrant lifestyle thanks to increased choice. Bring them on. The more people that come here, the better!

Michael
And overcrowded roads, horrible traffic, overcrowded schools. Yes. That's great.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,985 times
lol how did this go from a thread about job growth predictions to internet etiquette?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Is one better off looking for a job in a region with no job growth and a declining economic base or one with job growth and a growing or rebounding economic base? Welcome to the region!
This would make perfect sense if there weren't already a large number of people here who were laid off a few years ago that are still looking for suitable work. Back when the NC economy was very strong and people moved here due to the surplus of good jobs and affordable housing, I would've agreed with this logic.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 AM

19,725 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post

<*ahem*> ..... in THIS thread, yes. We had a bit of an off-topic discussion going there, about when people come to the forum to ask about potentially moving here and the first response they get is "Do you have a job?", even when (at times), they've clearly stated that they already have employment.

That's what my response was referring to.
My mistake.

I was only reading this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary