Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Who are any of you to tell someone why or why they shouldn't move here, or anywhere for that matter??
Right.

Remember that this is one of the busiest local forums on City-Data, and generally considered one of the friendliest. When a member, especially a new one, comes here and starts asking questions and is met with negativity, it makes us all look bad. (Not to mention it's just not nice.)

So let's all continue being helpful and treating each other with respect.

Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Raleigh is too dang small for the amount of people living here already.

I'm trying to get outta here!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 PM

149 posts, read 206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I do think the "cream of the crop" always get a job! I've had too many folks tell me the same thing!

I recently had a client who was a nurse. She went to 4 interviews and got 4 job offers!

Vicki
Once again ... depends on the position. That is VERY much a factor. A nurse or a teacher might find a job faster than certain other professionals, for instance.

And MUCH depends on the quirks of the interviewers. All I can say is listening to my husband's stories, I heard of some really bizarre interview accounts, including that person who blatantly broke the law by stating that she was going to hire a woman, and that was that. I mean, I could see if my husband was trying for a Victoria's Secret lingerie model position, but the last time I checked, the particular position could have been capably done by a man OR a woman.

When he told her she was blatantly breaking the law, she smirked at him and said, "Prove I said it." Sweet lady.

Also depends on the age. Survey after survey has shown that workers over 45 have a much harder time finding jobs than younger workers, and it's not necessarily because they're not as qualified, or haven't kept up their certs. Admittedly, this is nationwide, but NC is far from immune from this form of discrimination.

I'm glad to see some people are finding jobs, though. Perhaps some day, that will be a hopeful sign for other "cream of the crop" candidates in other fields who aren't so lucky in this economy.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM

542 posts, read 1,525,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Raleigh is too dang small for the amount of people living here already.

I'm trying to get outta here!
Raleigh isn't too small, we just are not populated densely enough, but that is quickly changing with all of the apartments currently being built in and around the downtown area.

Michael

Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazania View Post
Once again ... depends on the position. That is VERY much a factor. A nurse or a teacher might find a job faster than certain other professionals, for instance.

And MUCH depends on the quirks of the interviewers. All I can say is listening to my husband's stories, I heard of some really bizarre interview accounts, including that person who blatantly broke the law by stating that she was going to hire a woman, and that was that. I mean, I could see if my husband was trying for a Victoria's Secret lingerie model position, but the last time I checked, the particular position could have been capably done by a man OR a woman.

When he told her she was blatantly breaking the law, she smirked at him and said, "Prove I said it." Sweet lady.

Also depends on the age. Survey after survey has shown that workers over 45 have a LOT harder time finding jobs than younger workers.

I'm glad to see some people are finding jobs, though. Perhaps some day, that will be a hopeful sign for other "cream of the crop" candidates in other fields who aren't so lucky in this economy.
Age discrimination is not a new phenomenon.
It has been around for generations, to the extent that EEOC addressed it as early as 1967.
Age Discrimination

Age discrimination is not a reasonable excuse to be rude to middle aged people considering a move to the Triangle.
That a Federal law addresses it supports the fact that age discrimination occurs all around the country.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Raleigh isn't too small, we just are not populated densely enough, but that is quickly changing with all of the apartments currently being built in and around the downtown area.
You say that like it's a good thing.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What they never mention n these things are the number of old jobs that will go away.
Anyone care to guess what the NET gain/loss in 5 years will be?
Part of the economic transition going on. Old economy jobs disapearing and new economy jobs emerging. Thank goodness we have RTP to foster the new economy in this area and helping to keep the economic base moving forward better than most places.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 PM

149 posts, read 206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Who are any of you to tell someone why or why they shouldn't move here, or anywhere for that matter?? No job, eight kids...whatever. We live in a free society. It's hilarious when someone asks a question, a simple one that is direct, and they get requests to validate their question. Ie, my wife and I are thinking of moving to the area and were wondering about neighborhoods with a pool. Answers...don't move here unless you have a job! Don't even think about moving here if you don't sell your house! You have no clue about their personal situation nor is it relevant for you to decide it for them. Sme people move here with their ducks in a row, and some don't. It's the circle of life. Just because some of you are the Raleigh city data policeman doesn't mean it translates into real life. Lots of big egos in this forum who feel like they know what's best for everyone else.
Pardon me?

I'm simply relating my own experiences. I know others here have as well. Not having a job here for months and months can be brutal, and if you have a family, can greatly affect not only the jobless person, but his or her spouse/partner and children. I know that personally. Not everyone is writing, "Don't have a job? Stay there. We don't want you." Many are actually writing out of concern.

Could you please explain why advising caution and showing concern is a bad thing? I'm afraid I don't follow.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Is one better off looking for a job in a region with no job growth and a declining economic base or one with job growth and a growing or rebounding economic base? Welcome to the region!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Is one better off looking for a job in a region with no job growth and a declining economic base or one with job growth and a growing or rebounding economic base? Welcome to the region!
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary