Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,888 times

Advertisements

For about 6 months now my wife an I have been job seeking in the Triangle area. We have been overlooked for plenty of positions we are well qualified for. Understandably it's a tight job market everywhere, and I am concerned that we are immediately overlooked because we aren't local.

We are serious about relocating, not concerned with the employer covering the interview or relocation costs, although it would be nice! I think having a local address would reassure an employer that we are serious about their job, and not just "shotgun blasting" open positions all over the internet.

How do I get an address in the Raleigh area that will forward any mail to my current address? What does it cost? Has anyone used one of these services prior to moving with success? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 AM

127 posts, read 356,807 times
Not sure how much they charge to forward or how it works but my company had a box through the local UPS store during a move.

The UPS Store: Locations

Mailbox Services
Mail Forwarding
24-Hour Access
Package Acceptance
Package & Mail Receipt Notification

Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,730 times
Interesting. I wonder if there is a market for this type of thing. Is there anything stopping me from using my home address as a mail forwarding service? I'm guessing the USPS would not approve...

Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Interesting. I wonder if there is a market for this type of thing. Is there anything stopping me from using my home address as a mail forwarding service? I'm guessing the USPS would not approve...
You are welcome to do so.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
FWIW, The whole fake local address thing has been discussed on the forum before with people falling on both sides of the argument. I for one would be wary of the approach. It can present logistical challenges since a potential employer may think you could make yourself available for an interview at any time only to discover you live a thousand miles away and can't make it for another week. Also could lead to some uncomfortable questions during the interview process like explaining how you manage 6 employees in CA while living in Raleigh. Sure you can make up a cover to explain it all, but nobody wants to lie in an interview. Not the best way to start off a professional relationship. Also, depending on your field, level of experience, and specific position you seek, what your address is could actually have very little impact on how your application is perceived. Competition for positions in many fields is at an all time high right now. Only one person among even the most highly qualified applicants can get the job.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
There are places that will forward your mail....but to what end? I can understand wanting a local address (although I agree with much of what NRG said) but the lag time on mail forwarding can be significant (my DH uses such a service), and it's not like prospective employers are going to send you a letter asking for a job interview. What kind of mail are you expecting to have sent to you from the Raleigh area?

Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
You don't actually USE the mailing address.
You establish it as your address, and have anything that hits it forwarded.

Would an employer use USPS during the interview/hiring phase, anyway?

Regardless, I think it is not a very good idea for a way to get a foot in a door.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
As an ex-HR person for a company that did (sometimes) hire people to m out of state, I can assure you that we would have immediately declined to interview someone using a fake address. In one case, we actually rescinded an offer when the candidate 'fessed up that he had used a friend's address on his resume and application. We understood his reasons but it's still called fraud.

My suggestion : explain this FULLY in your cover letter - at the very beginning of the cover letter.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM

286 posts, read 653,483 times
I have been job hunting in another area of the state, and to this end I got a cell phone with a number local to that area. I used an old phone and added a line to my account (no contract). It shows that you clearly have interest in the area but you are still being honest. The local (to them) area code appears at the top of my cover letter so at least something looks familiar to them.

+1 if you make the move, you can also transition from your old number to new number very easily.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:34 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Frisch, excellent idea. Just be sure to CYA by explaining the facts early in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary