Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times

Advertisements

I do have to admit, local government seemed much more efficient stepping in when they learned about a mysterious nightclub near the Brentwood neighborhood. While not located in a house, it operated undetected for some time in a nearby shopping center. Complete with topless dancers and a guy selling booze out of a trunk of a car. There was even a shooting there. Residents complained to the city and undercover officers were sent in on several occasions before it was finally shut down. You can read the bizarre story below. But once again, action/enforcement didn't happen overnight...

RALEIGH: Closure of mystery night club relieves Raleigh neighbors | Crime | NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, and I'm certainly not anti-HOA, but I do have to wonder why this situation takes HOA enforcement. Shouldn't local government be stepping in?
You'd think they would, unless she was hiring off duty cops as security, or had cops on the guest list. Then things like this fall through the cracks.

There have been a handful of brothels operated in the city of Raleigh in recent years too. They had neighbors complaining about cars in and out all hours of the day and night. There's generally no good excuse for a residence to have 10 visitors an hour, cars parked in neighbors yards, etc. People called and complained, sometimes for several weeks, before RPD sent undercover cops in. The one near North Hills was even using "sex slaves". And I still remember laughing, when they mentioned how many times undercovers went in, before something was done!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,101,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I do have to admit, local government seemed much more efficient stepping in when they learned about a mysterious nightclub near the Brentwood neighborhood. While not located in a house, it operated undetected for some time in a nearby shopping center. Complete with topless dancers and a guy selling booze out of a trunk of a car. There was even a shooting there. Residents complained to the city and undercover officers were sent in on several occasions before it was finally shut down. You can read the bizarre story below. But once again, action/enforcement didn't happen overnight...

RALEIGH: Closure of mystery night club relieves Raleigh neighbors | Crime | NewsObserver.com
And HOAs had nothing to do with it.

RPD has always been very responsive. Perhaps it has something to do with the monthly neighbor/police meetings since the 1960's. We have a large number of incredible volunteers in our neighborhood.

I'm still surprised that it took so long for the mansion party house to be shut down, given all its advertisements.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,182,495 times
I'm going to be 100% honest...this isn't far from my house. If I had known about this (NEVER heard of it before), I SWEAR I would have attended at least once. But yeah, if there was loud music or unsavory activities spilling into the community, that would have pissed me off.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
And HOAs had nothing to do with it.

RPD has always been very responsive. Perhaps it has something to do with the monthly neighbor/police meetings since the 1960's. We have a large number of incredible volunteers in our neighborhood.

I'm still surprised that it took so long for the mansion party house to be shut down, given all its advertisements.
And I'm surprised with all the monthly neighborhood meetings with the police Brentwood residents were still oblivious to the fact an illegal nightclub had opened up so close to them.

(per the article).
"Residents of Raleigh's Brentwood neighborhood were puzzled and upset when they learned of a shooting at a mysterious nightclub near their homes several weeks ago. It wasn't just the shooting in their back yards that bothered them - they had no idea the club existed. "Nobody knew," said Charla Cross, who has lived in Brentwood for 21 years."

Perhaps if you did have an HOA that distributed info, residents might be better informed? Just a thought.

I'm sure you all knew about the coffee truck with baristas dressed in lingerie operating in the same strip mall next to Brentwood last spring/summer right? It was there for about 6 months before it was finally chased off. I'm surprised they lasted that long!

In the case of the article I posted, it did in fact take action by the HOA to drive the complaint driven enforcement. Perhaps the government should have acted faster, but it took the actions of the HOA to bring increased attention to the matter. I'm not sure why you are having such a difficult time grasping that.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Deleted

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-20-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
That mansion was having advertised parties for months 2 miles from your house -- and there are HOAs all over the place. Why did you not know about it?
Probably because we weren't having monthly meetings with the police like at Brentwood. Oh wait, that didn't work out for you either!

The half nude baristas serving coffee by Brentwood on the other hand were quite obvious. Their truck was parked right by Atlantic Avenue with their Sign "Cup O' Jane ~ The Cup That Gets You Up!"

Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM

130 posts, read 503,559 times
Cup O' Jane - That is not the same Cup o' Jane truck off of Capital now on weekday mornings just after Wade and before Peace is it?

Last edited by Riley14; 06-20-2013 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: add

Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 PM

Deleted

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-20-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 02:10 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,848 times
This is a great thread and for sure in my book one of the best stories in Raleigh for a long, long time.

Very interesting for me personally as I can tell you in 2009-2010 we were looking very seriously at buying a lot in this neighborhood and building our own house. So glad we didn't do that now!! But there were some decent large lots there that we thought we could get a good deal on. So we actually watched this house go up over time, right from the point when the lot was first prepared for building through completion. Based on the data provided here and our recollection of the timeline, it makes sense that they bought it part way through construction and completed it using their construction loan so they probably have round $2.4m into the property. Now I know there are a lot of jokes and criticisms and I absolutely hate the exterior but it is one big house with an impressive interior that is very unlike the normal bland interiors you get from the run of the mill builders in high end homes (think all those $2m+ houses in Hasentree that went up in 2008 that were all basically the same) However therein lies their problem in selling, I don't know how they will find someone who will want such a personalized home (never mind the fact that not many people are willing to buy a near $3m home that is a stone's throw away from the now four lane Falls of Neuse). My personal prediction is this will ultimately end in foreclosure - there are already collection procedures pending the tax and the state can foreclose just for that (BTW why are the taxes so low?). So my gut tells me this will probably end up selling to someone for the $1.8m or whatever the mortgage is as that way the bank gets out whole and someone feels they get a "bargain" (which relative to the cost of actually building such a house, it would be)

As for the rest of the story, heck you could not make it up. Just hilarious. Particularly the neighbor who went but hung around and then complained. Sounds like someone had a good time but then had to cover up when he got back home to the missus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary