Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I will say, on the flip side, as this sounds like I was your son, that the number of 0 grades they gave me did absolutely nothing to change the brain chemistry or whatever it is that made me that way. THey would do him a much better service to try to find out what is going on with him, IMO.
Oh, we all know what's going on with him. Trying to fix it has been a "pull your hair out" experience, LOL. Hopefully we all get it worked through before high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 04:39 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
You are assuming that the student who did not submit the material actually knows the material. In my experience, this is rarely the case.

In my son's case, it is often the case which makes it all the more frustrating! But I agree with most of these kids it's probably not the case!

Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 AM

613 posts, read 746,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Also, we have gotten a bit off topic. None of our WCPSS kids are going to be applying for H1-B visas this week.
No. But the very mediocre results of American high schools has a connection to the drive to raise the cap on H1-B visas.
Low standards and dumbing down seem to be here to stay.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:21 AM

45 posts, read 57,282 times
If you don"t do the work you need a O (in all grades KG-12)
If you talk with teacher they hate this may happen.
Just as if you don"t work you should not get a pay check,
(but we all know how that work in the USA. Don't work stay home get paid, that is what we have taught our youth.)

Old 05-09-2014, 06:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
From the N&O today:

CARY: Wake County teachers prohibited from punitive grading practices | Education | NewsObserver.com

Quote:
Wake County teachers will be told not to make it too difficult for students to pass if they make “isolated” mistakes, but how to achieve that goal is being left up to individual schools.

Wake County school administrators presented draft guidelines Thursday for carrying out a newly revised grading policy that’s supposed to help students who are at risk of failing. But instead of explicitly banning zeros or limiting the punishment for late work, the new guidelines say each school is to develop its own grading plan covering homework, missed work, retesting and extra credit.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:33 AM

621 posts, read 982,549 times
Looks like WCPSS is working hard to establish fifty as the new zero.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
A compressed 50-point scale is a far better mathematical representation than the current 100-point scale.

Not a primary issue, but it is worth noting that student who know the material but fail for lack of turning in homework or classwork will cost just as much to educate as a repeater as a different/new student costs. Repeaters are expensive, and repeaters are more likely to become dropouts.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,575 times
I agree about changing the grading scale in the US. Not sure why A, B, C, and D are only worth 6-10pt, but an F is worth 0-59.

My school district doesn't allow me to fail any students, even if they never turn in their work. I think schools have the mentality that "students should be graded on what they know" which means that even if they don't turn in work, they might know the material.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:16 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
No. But the very mediocre results of American high schools has a connection to the drive to raise the cap on H1-B visas.
It has a connection in the sense that it's a convenient excuse. The reality is that it is driven almost exclusively by the likes of Silicon Valley CEOs and similar who want the cheapest labor possible. More millions in salary and bonus for themselves, why would they do anything other that lobby for MeMyselfAndI?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Nope. I completely disagree. The US is full of people who are well qualified.

They just don't want to work for a pittance and be tied to an employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary