Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2022, 11:30 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times

Advertisements

I don't see the point in nominating someone who lost the last election, or a recent election. What will be different this time around? I'd rather see a strong candidate with a history of winning running instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 12:09 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I don't see the point in nominating someone who lost the last election, or a recent election. What will be different this time around? I'd rather see a strong candidate with a history of winning running instead.
Looking back, I honestly don't know who could've won, or if it was possible to even flip the seat at all. When it comes to US Senate and Presidential races, NC is trending solid red. 2008 was the lone recent exception to the rule, and if John Edwards had not been on the 2004 presidential ticket, he would've been voted out or forced to retire/resign from the Senate eventually anyway since he turned out to be a dumpster fire. It's like a reverse version of Massachusetts or Vermont. They don't mind electing Republican governors, but their senators and presidents damn well better be blue! Lol!

NC is definitely a purple state in all other races, though.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:29 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Looking back, I honestly don't know who could've won, or if it was possible to even flip the seat at all. When it comes to US Senate and Presidential races, NC is trending solid red. 2008 was the lone recent exception to the rule, and if John Edwards had not been on the 2004 presidential ticket, he would've been voted out or forced to retire/resign from the Senate eventually anyway since he turned out to be a dumpster fire. It's like a reverse version of Massachusetts or Vermont. They don't mind electing Republican governors, but their senators and presidents damn well better be blue! Lol!

NC is definitely a purple state in all other races, though.
Jeff Jackson was THE viable candidate to flip NC's senate seat.

Besides sending out almost daily text messages asking for money.....Beasley did very little in the way of community engagement throughout the state. Jeff has a proven track record of doing just that.

Was surprised by the Wiley Nickel win in the 13th district...especially looking at the precinct maps and seeing that he won several precincts in southern Wake around Fuquay and New Hill that seemed like they would have been a longshot for him. Even more surprised that Bo Hines conceded as quickly and relatively gracefully as he did considering his overall brand (a brand which , thankfully, looks to have finally started to fail and fade nationwide)

Old 11-11-2022, 01:10 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

Besides sending out almost daily text messages asking for money.....Beasley did very little in the way of community engagement throughout the state. Jeff has a proven track record of doing just that.

Was surprised by the Wiley Nickel win in the 13th district...especially looking at the precinct maps and seeing that he won several precincts in southern Wake around Fuquay and New Hill that seemed like they would have been a longshot for him. Even more surprised that Bo Hines conceded as quickly and relatively gracefully as he did considering his overall brand (a brand which , thankfully, looks to have finally started to fail and fade nationwide)
I really liked Jeff's 100 Townhalls in 100 Days tour (can't remember if it was this summer or last). That level of engagement and commitment is great to see. Did it mean he couldn't spend as much time schmoozing wealthy boosters for campaign funds to help win the nomination? I don't know, but I certainly respect the hustle.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:06 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

Jeff definitely should've been candidate. Even if he couldn't eek out a win, the race would've been much closer. Beasley just never stood a chance (even Wilson County flipped red!).

I think Jackson could've won in 2020 (higher voter turnout) if Schumer hadn't stuck his nose in and told him to back out. Instead, the guy Schumer backed turned out to be Edwards 2.0.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:27 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I'm hoping this is a step for Jeff Jackson to even bigger things. He seems like an upright, decent, patriotic guy. So glad for his win!

Old 11-12-2022, 08:17 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Yeah I prefer to paint this as a stepping stone to other things for Jeff Jackson rather than moan about what might've been. I think he is a great guy and on his way to even greater things. Super likable and personable.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:08 AM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
Since it's now official after a year of rumor, R.J. Corman
has indeed purchased the VF line from Norfolk Southern.
From what I have read they bought the line from Fuquay
to Fayetteville (VF Line) and will lease the line from
Fuquay to Raleigh? It will be called the Raleigh & Fayetteville
Railroad. They will interchange with NS in Raleigh and both
CSX and Aberdeen and Rockfish in Fayetteville. Operations
should start next month. R.J. Corman is a class outfit so it should
be a nice improvement over what NS had? Random thoughts like
this get me excited!

Old 11-24-2022, 08:18 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
My wife and I are huge fans of Joanna Gains and the farmhouse aesthetic she ushered in but I must admit to being happy that distressed furniture isn't as prominent in Glenwood Ave furniture stores as it used to be. Overall it was an easy excuse to sell poorly put-together furniture at overinflated prices.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:12 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
“Go to hell Carolina…Go to hell”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary