Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,590,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
yep the owl did it .... twice !!
No, it was Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 03:49 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Like anyone else, snakes are cool once you get to know them. Copperheads are about the only dangerous snakes we have many of in this area and they are usually easy to identify. A stick does a great job on them, or a shotgun if you are in the country. You can also get shot loads for many pistol calibers, often referred to as snakeshot or ratshot. Other snakes here are totally harmless and will keep the rats, mice and insects down.

I was more wary of the snakes I met in business than any I ever met in the yard or the woods.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:15 PM

750 posts, read 854,125 times
An owl killed an adult woman. Interesting :-)

Old 06-09-2014, 06:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
An owl killed an adult woman. Interesting :-)
Well that is what he wants us to believe. Not that the owl killed her but caused her to fall down the stairs where she died. I guess it could happen. He is facing his third trial I think very soon.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 AM

he's entitled to his defence but seems a little unlikely to me.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 AM

454 posts, read 495,651 times
Had a visitor last week. Pretty.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:56 AM

63 posts, read 98,176 times
I have the same phobhia. Followed the entire thread and found only copperhead are venomous. What is the immediate treatment if any one is bitten by the snake. I am more worried about the kids playing in the backyard that is close to woods and also playing in the park around the bushes.

What precautions do you take to avoid snakes coming into the home and backyard. Do we need a special fencing.

Thought of snake itself shivers me like any thing than actually facing it.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM

I think snake photos need to be banned on these types of threads because they are frequented by phobics and it's really quite a shock to find a pic if a GREEN snake right there for all to see :-)

Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njking View Post
What precautions do you take to avoid snakes coming into the home
I installed latches on all of our toilet lids to keep them closed down as tight as we can, since entry through toilets seems to be the number one means that snakes use to enter homes. Just have to make sure to turn the light on and give a look before sitting down in the middle of the night.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:34 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post
Had a visitor last week. Pretty.

Cool. I haven't seen a green snake in many, many years! They were much more prominent further down east towards the coast where I grew up. But then again, so were cottonmouths, rattlers, etc! I've never seen a green snake in the Triangle!

As far as snakes in the home: Here's my 2 cents on the subject. Do you have rodents in your house? If you have mice in your house, then there is a decent chance you might one day find a snake in your house. Keep your home plugged up tight! Keep all water lines, and other points of entry sealed with with wire mesh, and puttied over, etc. Every time I move into a home, one of the first things I do is look under all sinks, etc and see if the holes where the lines come through the walls are sealed up tight. Don't let cable tv installers drill huge holes in your floors, walls etc. The line should fit snugly through the hole. Make sure old holes get filled and plugged. Don't leave doors and windows open. It still blows my mind to see homes with the doors propped open on warm days. I understand not everyone can afford air conditioning, but I cannot imagine having insects and rodents coming and going as they please.

We've made the mistake of keeping pet food in the garage. A large bag was brought home from the store and left in the garage over night. The next day, something had chewed a hole in the bag. Bird seed, pet food, etc all attract rodents. Rodents attract snakes. I've mentioned this before, but if you have birdfeeders hanging in your yard, at night, you'll have rodents, deer, raccoons, etc out there digging through the scraps on the ground. I think the average bird feeding person would be shocked to see how many rodents they attract with birdfeeders. I occasionally set out rodent traps if I see evidence of mice in my garage. Usually it's when a bag of birdseed doesn't get put away in a sealed container. Fewer rodents, fewer snakes.

Last edited by TheBigKahunaNC; 06-10-2014 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary