Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 PM

222 posts, read 404,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Spent a few hours in the yard yesterday, and not one snake was found!

But this morning.....
What kind of snake is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I am Brit and when I first moved here I was terrified at the thought of seeing a snake, oh, and a cop with a gun. But, I got over both. Have owned guns and target shoot and have seen many snakes. It's very rare to know of someone being bitten by one. I have mostly lived near THEIR habitat, so expected to see many. Mostly you see harmless black snakes but also copperheads. Again it's still rare to see them. Mostly I've found them in piles of leaves in the spring when I was cleaning up the yard.

However, I did find this yesterday when I moved my trash container (he was trying to stay warm, didn't bother me).
Looks to be non-poisonous. Anyone know what type this guy is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Awwww...he's a teeny little Brown Snake.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
There are a few people on this forum that always seem to have a bug up their butt, but I just ignore them. You will know who they are soon enough. For the most part it is a very imformative friendly forum. Just ingore the cranky ones (that's what I do) and you will do fine. Unfortunately the cranky people worldwide are allowed to roam free!

I tried to rep you for this but I must spread some around first.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
It's very rare to know of someone being bitten by one.
In all my years of dealing with poisonous snakes I only know of one. About 50 years ago a man in our church who lived in Longview Gardens was bitten by a Copperhead while cleaning up a woodpile. His family claimed that he just didn't seem to be his old self after recovering from the bite. About a year after receiving the snake bite he killed himself. His family always blamed the Copperhead

Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
You guys gotta stop...This is a great example of feeding Confirmation Bias. For example, if one is predisposed to believe that the US is overrun by active shooter situations and gangsters, then one will find examples to fulfill that. If one is predisposed to believe that Durham is a horrible dangerous ghetto, then one will find evidence to anchor up that belief. AngelKitten, despite living in South Africa, where snakes are about as common as they are here, (I asked a coworker from South Africa) can't help but fixating on the issue.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:42 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
I wish I would find some snakes in my yard. I love animals, and even get excited when I find lizards. A friend of mine killed a huge garder snake in his yard. Seriously why? It's a great rodent deterrent and they are completely harmless. I would have picked it up and scared my wife with it I need to move north of 540 and get on some acreage.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
I am Brit and when I first moved here I was terrified at the thought of seeing a snake, oh, and a cop with a gun. But, I got over both. Have owned guns and target shoot and have seen many snakes. It's very rare to know of someone being bitten by one. I have mostly lived near THEIR habitat, so expected to see many. Mostly you see harmless black snakes but also copperheads. Again it's still rare to see them. Mostly I've found them in piles of leaves in the spring when I was cleaning up the yard.

However, I did find this yesterday when I moved my trash container (he was trying to stay warm, didn't bother me).
Was he annoyed that you stole his warmth?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:59 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Was he annoyed that you stole his warmth?
He raised his head and checked me out and then crawled away.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I wish I would find some snakes in my yard. I love animals, and even get excited when I find lizards. A friend of mine killed a huge garder snake in his yard. Seriously why? It's a great rodent deterrent and they are completely harmless. I would have picked it up and scared my wife with it I need to move north of 540 and get on some acreage.
Or move this way. Or near a pond, that always attracts lots of wildlife. I have a couple of lizards that hang out on my porch. Last weekend I saw a marsh bird, maybe blue heron? flying by my house from the pond down the street. It was beautiful. I saw a fox running to the nearby woods recently, and a hawk or similar bird has a huge nest in the tree behind my house. Oh I had to chase away bats from my roof eaves. And, within two days of buying my new car in the fall, I was driving along Forestville Rd, Knightdale and a deer jumped over the hood of my car from the high embankment, and in front of me! A dog chased it from the field onto the road. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! We regularly see deer in our neighborhood as there are woods across the street.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 AM

750 posts, read 854,125 times
Jonov where is your South African friend from in SA? There are prob lots of snakes in rural areas but not where I lived (suburban Johannesburg) there are definitely more snakes in the triangle than suburbs of Johannesburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary