Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:46 PM

379 posts, read 517,795 times

Advertisements

There is currently a very large "Stars and Bars" flying in Virginia on the n/b side of I-95 near between Fredricksburg and Quantico. As for the previous poster who stated that you see more Conferderate flags in PA than in NC, I would say that he is 100% correct on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:46 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Yeah, you can see a tiny license plate or something of the North Carolina State Flag when we were in the Confederacy. Right below the main flag.
That (the license plates that you see with Stars and Bars,) is for Sons of Confederate Veterans members. It's open to anyone that can trace their lineage to a soldier of the Confederacy.

I see confederate flags flying more often in the rural parts of the counties in the triangle but occasionally in more developed areas.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
There is no Maryland/Pennsylvania line on I-95. Delaware goes between them for several miles. The flag you are probably thinking of is actually on the Maryland side of the Delaware/Maryland line of I-95 in Cecil County, Maryland. The same guy had a big "Flush Ehrlich" sign.
That is exactly the one I was thinking about, good catch! There is a decent size one on the PA side, just north of Hagerstown, MD that I have seen while driving up to Chambersburg to visit friends before.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:39 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
That is exactly the one I was thinking about, good catch! There is a decent size one on the PA side, just north of Hagerstown, MD that I have seen while driving up to Chambersburg to visit friends before.
Living in Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia for 26 years, while the rest of my extended family lived in Pennsylvania, I have that stretch of I-95 pretty much committed to memory. The only person who has probably driven it more than I have is Joe Biden.

I'm not surprised that you'd see a Confederate flag in the drive between Hagerstown and Chambersburg - I'd expect that area to be more Confederate friendly than the Philadelphia area. They don't call Pennsylvania "Pennsyltucky" for nothing.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:45 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
The only person who has probably driven it more than I have is Joe Biden.
I thought Joe Biden took the Amtrak?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That (the license plates that you see with Stars and Bars,) is for Sons of Confederate Veterans members. It's open to anyone that can trace their lineage to a soldier of the Confederacy.
Not sure what you're referring to exactly. Do you mean the official NC " SCV specialty" license plate issued by DMV? If so, that's not one of the plates on display in the picture.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:12 AM

610 posts, read 746,365 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised that you'd see a Confederate flag in the drive between Hagerstown and Chambersburg - I'd expect that area to be more Confederate friendly than the Philadelphia area. They don't call Pennsylvania "Pennsyltucky" for nothing.
Probably not near Chambersburg. Damned rebels burned the town during the Civil War.

Caused me no end of genealogy aggravation when trying to get info on my ancestors from Franklin County a few years back. Too many records were gone. Some of my ancestors were in Mercersburg during the Civil War.

Some in Funkstown/Hagerstown too. (Those ones, I understand, were pro-Southern.)

Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Not sure what you're referring to exactly. Do you mean the official NC " SCV specialty" license plate issued by DMV? If so, that's not one of the plates on display in the picture.
Yes, I was referring to the specialty plates. And, you are correct that I was mistaken, my eyes must not be what they once were.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
There is currently a very large "Stars and Bars" flying in Virginia on the n/b side of I-95 near between Fredricksburg and Quantico. As for the previous poster who stated that you see more Conferderate flags in PA than in NC, I would say that he is 100% correct on that one.
The Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia is not the "Stars and Bars". The first national flag of the CSA was known as the Stars and Bars:
Attached Thumbnails
Do you ever see Confederate flags around the Triangle?-us-csa13.gif  

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 03-17-2015 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 06:30 AM

750 posts, read 853,913 times
Yesterday driving on Falls of Neuse a truck drove past with 2 flags - the usual U.S. flag and my 10 year old said "hey Why's he got a confederate flag??" I thought back to this thread. :-). Since we've only lived here for 8 months from UK I was surprised he knew what a confederate flag looks like (I dont) but he also wanted to know if it meant "the guy wants to have a divided USA with north and South again) I didn't know the answer. What does it mean to fly the confederate flag these days??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary